5 Replies Latest reply on Feb 18, 2011 4:47 AM by Ned Murphy

Will Flash programming work for this...

Robert Kehoskie

Hello,

We have a website (www.sportsoutfit.com) and we offer custom stringing for lacrosse heads. I want to create a program that a customer opens up, they can pick what lacrosse head they want, the stringing style and colors. I want them to be able to see the head as they build it and have the colors and stringing style change as they change their options. Is this something flash can do? I am open for suggestions! Thanks.

Bob

• 1. Re: Will Flash programming work for this...
          Ned Murphy Adobe Community Professional & MVP

Yes, Flash could most likely be used for this.

• 2. Re: Will Flash programming work for this...
            somascope Level 3

Additional considerations you might have are:

Is this just for the website visitor to see, but do nothing else with after they "build" the item? This is fairly achievable with the skills that most modestly experienced Flash developers have.

This application would need to contain (or load in) all images of the various categories (multiple heads, multiple strings/colors, etc.). Then you need to determine what kind of interaction you want the visitor to experience in order to build their custom product. For example, something that goes along with "Click a head from below, and then choose a string style and color".

Then, do you want the customer to be able to save this designed product, for purposes of creating an actual product order, that your shop would actually get the details from and build from? This increases the technical specifications & needs of the entire project, and requires lots of skill beyond just Flash.

Flash is GREAT for the presentation part of this experience, but you'd need to discuss with your web development/IT team to figure out how to handle the transmission of data.

• 3. Re: Will Flash programming work for this...
              vikiviki2011

i think only flash can finish it very well.

• 4. Re: Will Flash programming work for this...
                Robert Kehoskie Level 1

Thanks for the quick responses! Can anyone point me in the right direction as far as what software title I should be using to try and create this? I have some programming skills under my belt but have never used Flash. Does what I am trying to do have a certain name? I looked at Adobe Scene7 the other day and they refer to this as a Visual Configurator. Would Scene7 work for this application? Can anyone recommend any programmers or companies for this project?

Thanks again!

Bob

• 5. Re: Will Flash programming work for this...
                  Ned Murphy Adobe Community Professional & MVP

I'm confused...  Flash is a software title... look into Adobe Flash Professional CS5.

1 person found this helpful