2 Replies Latest reply on Feb 18, 2011 9:26 PM by Franky_Vazquez

Video image getting squeezed.

Franky_Vazquez

Hey, I'm new to Premiere (mostly used FCP in the past) but I just finished shooting this film, and now I am trying to edit it. The problem is when I imported the footage, the image looked really compressed, like the sides were getting squeezed. When I play the raw footage in quicktime, the image looks fine, real wide. The stats on the video are

1080/1280 progressive

frame rate 29.97...

pixel aspect ratio 40/33 (in Premiere it shows as 1.2121)

Now I shot it on a Panasonic HPX-170, using a 35mm adaptor, I don't know if that changes anything.

I tried a bunch of different project settings, some make the image a little less compressed, but none get it right.

I'd really appreciate some help on this.

Thanks in advance.

• 1. Re: Video image getting squeezed.
          Colin Brougham Level 6

Looking into my crystal ball...

You used FCP to Log and Transfer the MXF clips into DVCPRO HD MOVs. The PAR is now being misinterpreted; it should be 1.5, which is the correct PAR for DVCPRO HD 1080i/p.

To fix this, select all the clips, and right-click/Cmd-click or Clip > Modify and select Interpret Footage. In the dialog that appears, set the Pixel Aspect Ratio to "Conform to: DVCPRO HD (1.5)." Once you hit OK, your clips will be correctly interpreted, and you can either use a DVCPRO HD preset that matches your footage (you'll have to customize your own, as there is no built-in 1080/30p preset, so just use the 1080/24p preset as a starting point), or you can drag a clip to the New Item button at the bottom of the Project Panel.

(By the way, this might actually be a bug in Premiere, at least with the way it interprets DVCPRO HD MOVs. If you have the MXFs, they would be interpreted correctly.)

• 2. Re: Video image getting squeezed.
            Franky_Vazquez Level 1

God bless you sir.