9 Replies Latest reply on Feb 19, 2011 8:18 AM by davidbeisner2010

Shared editing of projectfile, audio out of sync

MrxSlvk

Hi all,

I´ve been working on a project, a music video, with a friend. Sometimes we edit together at his studio, sometimes we edit separately on our respectively computers. We use the same project-file, shipping it back and forth. The media/assets-folders are set up identically, and both have it on external hdds. You have to point premiere pro to where the media folder is when opening the project, then it finds all the video files without complaining.

We found that the audio (an imported mp3 with sample rate 44100 hz) did not sync after one person had edited the project and the other person opened it, and vice versa. The video is about half a sec behind the audio. We have checked that nothing has moved in the timeline, everything is in its right place on both computers.

Really annoying. First we thought it was lack of the 5.03 update, but we both had installed that. The footage (with unlinked and removed audio) is from a Canon 5d mkII. We´re both running Mac OSX 10.6.6 with Premiere Pro 5.03

Has anyone got a clue? The project is set up with 48000 hz for audio, could this be the culprit? Or is it something to do with media caching / indexing etc?  I´ve tried cleaning the media cache database too.

I welcome all solutions, ideas and musings to this problem, thank you very much!

Very best

• 1. Re: Shared editing of projectfile, audio out of sync
          Colin Brougham Level 6

Markus,

Since an MP3 is a compressed audio format, Premiere will automatically "conform" the audio by generating an uncompressed, 32-bit floating point audio file with a CFA extension. These are generated so that editing and effects can be performed with a higher degree of precision--the audio you're actually hearing in Premiere is being played back from the CFA file, and not the MP3. Depending on your Media Cache Files preference, this should be right next to the original MP3. I'd suggest trying to trash the CFA files (with Premiere closed), and then upon reopening your project, let Premiere re-conform the audio before doing anything--that's the yellow bar you may ocasionally see popping up in the bottom right corner of the screen. It's possible that something got borked in either the CFA file or Premiere's reference to it, so allowing those to be regenerated will take that out of the equation.

1 person found this helpful
          • 2. Re: Shared editing of projectfile, audio out of sync
            MrxSlvk Level 1

Colin,

thanks for your reply. I´ve un- and reinstalled Premiere so I´ve ruled out that there ´s a preferences/settings-issue, so then I figured that it´s either the media in itself or the temp-files that it´s the issue.

I´ll try your suggestion, fingers crossed that it´ll work! I´ll get back with the result.

Meanwhile, anyone else that would like to put their two cents in?

Very best, M

• 3. Re: Shared editing of projectfile, audio out of sync
              Colin Brougham Level 6

Markus,

Didn't mean to suggest that anything was necessarily busted in the Preferences; rather, that was just a suggestion to help locate the conformed audio files

Another consideration might be the hardware/computers you both are using. Are you using the same, or at least similar, setups? Are you on the same OS? This might not be an issue with the project or the program setup per se, but rather, a difference in how output/monitoring is setup.

• 4. Re: Shared editing of projectfile, audio out of sync
                MrxSlvk Level 1

Ok, I was just explaining my chain of thought, with the preferences etc, how to break down and troubleshoot the problem, thinking aloud basically . Really annoying issue this.

And yes, both of us using same osx, same pp-version.

• 5. Re: Shared editing of projectfile, audio out of sync
                  Colin Brougham Level 6

Yeah, sorry I need to read closer More coffee, please...

Are you on different types of machines, e.g. a MBP and a MacPro?

• 6. Re: Shared editing of projectfile, audio out of sync
                    MrxSlvk Level 1

Here´s another cup for ya

My setup is a brand new iMac and his is a new MBP. I´ve thought about installing PP on my (a couple of years old) MBP to see if there´s any difference between that environment and my iMac.

• 7. Re: Shared editing of projectfile, audio out of sync
                      the_wine_snob Level 9

This ARTICLE might give you some tips on dealing with MP3's. As MP3 is a variation of MPEG encoding, there is a slight block size difference, and this can create issues too. That normally manifests itself with Export, but is something to consider.

Good luck,

Hunt

PS - I assume that you are just e-mailing the PRPROJ file, but if not, you might consider setting up an external with all of the Assets, and Scratch Disks. Set the drive letter for this external in the OS of each machine, and then swap that between you. Obviously, if you are across the country from each other, that would involve Fed-X, or similar, and would not be as convenient. I use this method with FW-800 externals, to migrate Projects between computers.

1 person found this helpful
                      • 8. Re: Shared editing of projectfile, audio out of sync
                        MrxSlvk Level 1

Bill, Colin,

thanks for your replies, I really appreciate you helping out with this issue!

I just now had the opportunity to do some further testing. Imported identical audio to the project, but in wav-format, and replaced the sound clip. Rendered, and whaddya know - plays and syncs just fine! Don´t want to jinx it, still want to test exchanging the project file with my co-editor and see if weird stuff happens again, but really glad that this first fix worked! Small step, mankind, etc.

Thank you very much, I´ll keep you posted with further success/failure.

// M

• 9. Re: Shared editing of projectfile, audio out of sync
                          davidbeisner2010 Level 3

Glad it's fixed for you! I'd stay as far away from mp3s in the edit as I can... If I'm ever given one, I resave it as a wav before I start. Also, 44.1khz is standard for CD audio, but 48khz is standard for digital audio for video editing. Trying to edit with a file at 44.1khz may have had some bearing on your issue as well.