7 Replies Latest reply on Feb 20, 2011 5:42 PM by adninjastrator

Find/Replace in FLVPlayback Parameters

tracy.tootell

Is it possible to globally find/replace FLVPlayback parameters (e.g. contentPath, skinAutoHide, etc.) so that parameters can be changed globally throughout movie?  I'm using Flash CS3 with ActionScript 2.  Or, is there a way to override the FLV parameters at runtime using AS2?

• 1. Re: Find/Replace in FLVPlayback Parameters
          Ned Murphy Adobe Community Professional & MVP

I don't know anything about globally finding/replacing things during authoring.  That would be more of a JSFL task if anything and I have no experience there.  If you look up the FLVPlayback class in the AS2 documentation it defines all of the parameters that can be managed at runtime.

• 2. Re: Find/Replace in FLVPlayback Parameters
            adninjastrator Level 4

What exactly are you trying to accomplish?

function(){return A.apply(null,[this].concat($A(arguments)))}

so that parameters can be changed globally throughout movie?

The .flv of and by itself has no param. It starts, it plays, it's done. The params are for the player, not the movie. Those params can be set when placing the FLV Playback component on the stage or added into the HTML page. Why would you want to change them? Are you trying to reuse one FLVPlayback component to play several different .flv or re-use that same .swf on a number of different Web pages?

If the goal is to play several different .flvs while on the same page, how about using a player with a playlist?

If you want some sort of interactivity with the .flv video file, how about using cue points to fire off certain events?

Best wishes,

Adninjastrator

• 3. Re: Find/Replace in FLVPlayback Parameters

It's fairly clear that the OP is talking about the player parameters, not the flv.

1 person found this helpful
              • 4. Re: Find/Replace in FLVPlayback Parameters
                adninjastrator Level 4

Could be, but I'm not so sure...

so that parameters can be changed globally throughout movie?

That's why I was curious as to WHY you would want to change the parameters of the player "throughout" (during playback of ??) the movie.

The WHY might lead to a better answer.

Best wishes,

Adninjastrator

• 5. Re: Find/Replace in FLVPlayback Parameters

"the movie" == the fla/swf, not the flv (video)

• 6. Re: Find/Replace in FLVPlayback Parameters
                    tracy.tootell Level 1

The application is a single SWF that shows virtual tour videos when you click on an area in a floorplan.  Different instances use FLVPlayback to show the specific FLV onClick.  I have 19 floorplans with 5-8 videos each... and have had to change parameters on each instance multiple times now (once to change all instances to autohide the toolbar, for example).  Now I'm looking at having to change the URL (server location / contentPath) of the FLVs, and I'm wondering if there's a way to find/replace part of the URL string (or other parameters, if possible) to make the change globally throughout the SWF.  Make more sense now? Thanks for your input! - TT

• 7. Re: Find/Replace in FLVPlayback Parameters
                      adninjastrator Level 4

Well it sounds like you are very much invested in your current system, and since I don't know any way to find/replace either... I'll just offer a couple suggetions for your NEXT project or if you ever decide that the current system is just too cumbersome..

First, looking use an xml file of ALL your URLs and then use AS to create an array... in effect a sort of playlist... then you can load any particular array element (which represents a particular video file URL) whenever a particular button is clicked.

Click this part of the floor, and that loads the particular array element that links to the corresponding video file for that section of the room.

In fact, you would not even need to have multiple FLVPlayback instances, just include new x,y coordinated for where you want the video to play into the button action. That way, one player, one URL list to maintain (external from your .fla) so no need to re-publish just to swap out a video.

If your project is very elaborate, you might even decide to move to NetStream to play your videos instead of the FLVPlayback component... much more versatile and powerful way to control video.

Here are some links if you ever decide to investigate:

Flash and xml:

http://www.gotoandlearn.com/index.php?currentpage=11

Build your own NetStream player:

http://www.gotoandlearn.com/index.php?currentpage=14

Lots more tutorials if you Google the topics also

Best of luck on your project!

Adninjastrator