9 Replies Latest reply on Feb 21, 2011 6:06 PM by Samuel Chrisna

No Audio When Encoded

jasonbyrne662

I am new to After Effects CS5, but not new to video editing.

I am producing a show where we have an anchor and add in some intro music, b-roll video, graphics, etc.  When I do the RAM Preview and play it, everything is fine.  HOWEVER, when ever I export it I have the audio from my b-roll and intro music... but silence from the layers with the anchor.

It's kind of baffling because even when I "Save RAM Preview" there is no audio on those tracks... but when I do the RAM Preview within After Effects it is.

Yes, I am checking the checkbox to export audio.  And, yes, the audio toggle is on by the layer.  This is Windows 7 64-bit.

Any help would be great!!!

• 1. Re: No Audio When Encoded
          Dave LaRonde Level 6

jasonbyrne662 wrote:

I am new to After Effects CS5, but not new to video editing.

Great!  From the description of what you're doing, you just might want to keep your project in the editor.

More info: any kind of compressed audio like mp3 or ac3 -- even compressed audio in a clip's audio track -- give AE absolute fits. It needs to be uncompressed audio like wav or aiff files.

Third: I NEVER, EVER use AE as an editing application, and it sounds like you are.  AE stinks on ice as an editing application.  Really lousy.  Very time-consuming.  Not to mention difficult to work with as an editor.

Fourth: I almost never render audio because it's unnecessary... and I'm talking about lip-sync audio here.  I just add the rendered video-only AE file to my NLE's editing timeline, and everything syncs up.  If it doesn't, it's because of a dumb mistake I made in AE.

You're much, much better off editing first, getting the edit right, and THEN doing your AE work.

• 2. Re: No Audio When Encoded
            jasonbyrne662 Level 1

Yes, I am using AE to do most of the editing. I cut up some of the clips in Premiere but then am "lining them up" in After Effects. I must admit it has been painful. I guess I'm trying to get down the workflow.

The primary reason I need/want to use After Effects at all is for its 3D and lighting effects... I don't have those options in Premiere.

• 3. Re: No Audio When Encoded
              Dave LaRonde Level 6

jasonbyrne662 wrote:

I guess I'm trying to get down the workflow.

It's almost ALWAYS best to edit first, then do AE work.

Something tells me you haven't seen this:

http://help.adobe.com/en_US/AfterEffects/9.0/WS4648B7F7-2D89-4765-BC8A-271D9A7574A3a.html

...nor this:

http://help.adobe.com/en_US/AfterEffects/9.0/WS3878526689cb91655866c1103906c6dea-7f44a.htm l

...and if you have anything other than AE 10 (aka CS5), you need to follow this advice from the Creative COW:

"If the footage you imported into AE is any kind of the following -- footage in an HDV acquisition codec, MPEG1, MPEG2, AVCHD, mp4, mts, m2t, H.261 or H.264 -- you need to convert it to a different codec.

These kinds of footage use temporal, or interframe compression. They have keyframes at regular intervals, containing complete frame information.  However, the frames in between do NOT have complete information.  Interframe codecs toss out duplicated information.

In order to maintain peak rendering efficiency, AE needs complete information for each and every frame. But because these kinds of footage contain only partial information, AE freaks out, resulting in a wide variety of problems.

I'm a Mac guy, so I like to convert to Quicktime movies in the Animation or PNG codecs; both are lossless.  I'll use Apple's Compressor, Adobe Media Encoder or Quicktime Pro to do it."

• 4. Re: No Audio When Encoded
                Samuel Chrisna Level 1

do you press the shift button when u clicked the ram preview?

• 5. Re: No Audio When Encoded
                  Todd_Kopriva Level 8

> do you press the shift button when u clicked the ram preview?

How is that relevant, Samuel?

• 6. Re: No Audio When Encoded
                    Samuel Chrisna Level 1

for low specs computer, you may decide to set ram preview options for full frame rate and full resolution, and press shift and ram preview options to skip one out of every two frames and preview at half resolution.. simply, you can just choose the ram preview only but it takes more time for rendering.. lol

• 7. Re: No Audio When Encoded
                      Todd_Kopriva Level 8

Samuel, your answers don't seem to be relevant to the original poster's problem.

• 8. Re: No Audio When Encoded
                        Todd_Kopriva Level 8

Jason,

What are your output settings? (A screenshot of your output module settings might be the easiest way to answer.) Have you tried more than one output format? If so, is audio not being included in any of them? How are you playing back the output movies and checking for audio?

• 9. Re: No Audio When Encoded
                          Samuel Chrisna Level 1

OMG! im not read them carefully.. ooops my bad.. sorry..