20 Replies Latest reply on Feb 26, 2011 2:08 AM by Jean Pierre Bottazzoli

change of GPU

Jean Pierre Bottazzoli Level 1

Hi,

after multiple crash of PPR CS5, I made a test with Vegas 10. The results are the same; as soon I go to best preview, intens work, the system crash. No informations available from Windows 7 Ultimate 64.

This problem follows me since longtime and I have no more time to re-edit my footage.

Definitively the fault is not the software but the hardware, perhaps to hot? We have some 40 to 50 degs in Namibia.

All other applic working fine, I supose that ther is a problem with the older GeForce GTX 260 consolidated much more by video applic then by normal photo, music or developping work.

The only cuda supported card by PPR I can get in Namibia is the Gigabyte GeForce GTX470 - 1.25GB DDR5. or must it be a Nvidia?

please advice if this will be a good choice.....

best regards, JPB

• 1. Re: change of GPU
          Harm Millaard Level 7

The choice of the 470 is good, but whether that will solve your problem I don't know.

If you go to the right hand side on the top of the page and go to 'Get Help Quickly', there is a troubleshooting guide in the second part of the article. It may help you find the cause of your problem, but it could well be temperatures or PSU.

1 person found this helpful
          • 2. Re: change of GPU
            Bill Gehrke Most Valuable Participant

And going to the GTX 470 will make it worse if you have an overheating or power supply problem as it uses more power and prduces more heat.

One very quick test I would suggest you dowmload a temperature monitoring utility like RealTemp and have it running when you do your intense CPU work and see what is happening that way.  It also shows you your GPU temperature..

• 3. Re: change of GPU

Hi Harm & Bill

Thanks for the advices.

I'm measuring the temp since longtime. The GPU is around 65 to 75 degs. I'm not really convict that this temp is over the normal, perhaps simply a faulty GTX260.

I had the same problem with CS4 exactly one year ago, its summertime in Namibia.

Any experiences with a water cooling system for the GPU.?

The power supply i strong in off for the new GPU.

At last, I need a new GPU, my new Sony AX2000 is arriving and the change to AVCHD will need a faster GPU and CUDA support.

Regards, JPB

• 4. Re: change of GPU
                Harm Millaard Level 7

What is the rated output of your PSU in Watts? What happens if you run the Prime95 torture test and how are your temps of the CPU and GPU then. Use Speedfan or HWMonitor for the CPU and GPU-Z for the GPU temp.

75 C is not alarming for the GPU under load with your room temperature, but idle it is very high and should be around 40 - 45 C.

• 5. Re: change of GPU

Good Day Harm,

The power supply is a CoolerMaster Real Power M700 (700 Watt continuous, 850 Watt maximal)

I'm just watching TV (Mediaportal client), the GPU is also on 76 degrees but no crash.

Stress test brings the CPU (4) from normally 40 degrees up to 75 degrees. GPU remains at 76 degrees.

After the stress test the GPU remains at 76 degs, not under work at all.

No crash at all.

Remember that the system was well working during the last 12 months. I have reset the system from system backup to the last 100% working configuration.

I'm really wondering if the new GPU will solve the problem.

Regards, JPB

• 6. Re: change of GPU
                    Harm Millaard Level 7

You have to take into consideration that a 700 W PSU is not very much, especially with CUDA cards and running at 100% load, like during encoding. What happens to all PSU's is that the capacitors in the PSU suffer from aging and in time the capacity of the PSU diminishes.

For this reason I always advise to go to eXtreme Power Supply Calculator Pro v2.5 and get the Pro version. Then enter all your components, including fans, USB devices etc. Set your system load to 100% and capacitor aging to 30% and calculate the required wattage. For safety add around 10 - 15% to this figure and then you will know whether your PSU delivers enough juice to power your system reliably. Also check the wattage on the individual rails, because the overall power may be enough, but a single rail may be too low. That is only available in the Pro version.

1 person found this helpful
                    • 7. Re: change of GPU

Hi Harm,

that’s perhaps a possible reason, but the crashes arrives more on the first (RAW) editing (cut out the missed), so there is no encoding involved and during the last months it was well working.

In line with your advice, we have to consider another specified situation in Namibia, the humidity! Goes together with the heat, another of my Laptops has just said goodbye, no more boot or crash before logon screen. I put him into the fridge for a while and he was working again for a while (there is no space in my fridge for the video PC).

Is there any soft what may establish an ongoing protocol of the temps, fan speed and power situations of the PC?

I'm ready to change my PSU, if necessary, but first i will see the new GPU.

Regards, JPB

• 8. Re: change of GPU
                        Harm Millaard Level 7

Both HWMonitor and GPU-Z allow for logging the sensor results to file.

• 9. Re: change of GPU
                          framednoise

Can't you get a GTX 460 instead of the 470? It runs much cooler and doesn't require as much power either, although a bit slower. It's really easy to enable support for the card in PPro CS5, as with any modern Nvidia card.

And to really stress the GPU I'd try Furmark: http://www.ozone3d.net/benchmarks/fur/#download

If the computer can handle that (just watch those temperatures and abort if it get's too high!) the problem is elsewhere.

Have you run memory tests too? A couple of loops with memtest86+ should identify any possible problems.

http://www.memtest.org/

• 10. Re: change of GPU

Good idea, thanks. The FurMark test ends at GPU temp of 89 degrees, blank screen with Benchmarking and Stability Test.

I'm not use of this tool, so I don't know if that is normal.

Regards, JPB

• 11. Re: change of GPU
                              Bill Gehrke Most Valuable Participant

usa@bottazzoli.com wrote:

Remember that the system was well working during the last 12 months. I have reset the system from system backup to the last 100% working configuration.

Regards, JPB

Have you cleaned you system, in 12 months of use you might have accumulated a lot of dust in the cooling paths that might now be pushing it over the edge.

• 12. Re: change of GPU

Hi Bill,

Yes the system is clean. I have also changed my old chassis against a cooler Gigabyte house.

Regards, JPB

• 13. Re: change of GPU
                                  framednoise Level 1

So Furmark ends with a blank screen after the benchmark test? It doesn't show any scores or anything? The stability test should run until you abort it. The GPU temperature seems normal though, it shouldn't have any problem with 89C. Makes me wonder if there's something else going on. It COULD be a faulty memory chip on the graphics card though, you can test that with utilities found here: http://folding.stanford.edu/English/DownloadUtils

And have you tried running the memtest86+ I linked to? Faulty system memory can lead to really weird problems.

• 14. Re: change of GPU

Hi,

as you say any test ends with both screens blank and no more reaction on mous or keyboard. Reboot. No results.

All the mem test runs perfect with 0 errors.

Thanks for help, JPB

• 15. Re: change of GPU
                                      framednoise Level 1

That's a rather odd error. Could definitely be something wrong with the GPU then but it's extremely hard to tell. Can you borrow another Nvidia card (or any card for that matter) and run Furmark to see if the machine is stable without the GPU in question in it?

Your PSU should be fine, it's a high quality unit and unless you have a huge disk array your machine probably won't use much more than 50-60% of the available power under load anyway. The online PSU calculators already have a quite high safety percentage added to them.

• 16. Re: change of GPU

Thanks for the infos "framednoise"

I will definitively buy another GPU, the best I can get in some days is the GTX 580. Still not confirmed as Mercury Engine supported by Adobe?

Still a good choice? Please confirm, I must order today.

Regards, JPB

• 17. Re: change of GPU
                                          Harm Millaard Level 7

The 580 is a great choice. It also runs cooler and quieter than the 4xx series.

• 18. Re: change of GPU

Thanks Harm,

I will get it installed on Friday; then we will see the changes.

Regards JPB

• 19. Re: change of GPU

Hi,

I will get the new GTX 570 tomorrow.

In the last hours I made some additional test in order to really define the problem:

First I changed the sound card, no result

Then I reset the system to a basic Win7 Home system with only PPR CS5, no updates

Disconnect all additional hardware as contour and USB card reader.

PPR and Vegas crash after some 20 minutes basic work (just cut unnecessary scenes out)

Now we come to the interesting thing:

I got a 3 hours (RAW scenes) video from a friend, recorded in MTS format and import it into a AVCHD 1080i project (remember my footage is HDV Tape, captured and imported into HDV 1080i).

This 3 hours video plays in Vegas and PPR in best resolutions without any crash?!

Resulting questions:

- Is the HDV captured footage more "complicate" then the MTS format?

- is the video card overstressed by this footage (remember the stress test could not finish before the system crashed).

This could explaine that all other activities on this PC are working, only extensive video display on screen make him crash, perhaps in conjuncyion with higher temps and humidity.

Any idea?

Regards, JPB

• 20. Re: change of GPU

Hi,

problem not solved with the new GTX 580, but its fast!!!!

see more comments on: "Re: Premiere CS5 - HDV Playback Freezes/Crashes System!"