13 Replies Latest reply on Jun 23, 2014 12:22 PM by A.T. Romano

playback stops

mj1114

I have an HP Pavillion laptop (dv6) with Windows 7 and Premier Elements 4.0.  I have created slide show dvd's on this program before, but not on this laptop.  I am trying to preview the video to edit and it just stops on some slides.   I am a novice and don't know where to look to try to fix this problem.  Thanks for any help!

• 1. Re: playback stops
          Steve Grisetti Adobe Community Professional

Well, my books will certainly tell you everything you need to know!

Meantime, make sure your photos are no larger than 1000x750 pixels in size, per the FAQs to the right of this forum.

http://forums.adobe.com/thread/431851?tstart=30

You should also render your timeline whenever you see red lines above your clip. Press Enter and, after the render, the red line will turn green.

Finally, you've got a pretty old laptop with a relatively small hard drive. Ensure you've got at least 30 gigs of free space on your C drive and make sure it's clear of spyware and regularly defragmented.

• 2. Re: playback stops
            mj1114 Level 1

Well, there are no red lines above the clips and it seems to be a different clip it stops on anytime I

start to play it.  Also I have over 500gb of free space.  My laptop is only a year old!!

• 3. Re: playback stops

What type of camcorder is your video coming from and how did you get it into your computer?

Which project setting did you select when you started your Premiere Elements project?

Are you working in Timeline mode? That's important.

Can you post a screen capture of your timeline?

• 4. Re: playback stops
                mj1114 Level 1

OK, I'm not using a camcorder - they're photos I imported from Photoshop.  I'm in the timeline now and tried the rendering, which worked up to a point, but it is still stopping.  I don't recall selecting a project setting - I just started importing photos from the organizer.  How do I post a screen capture?  As I said, I'm a novice at this, but I haven't had this many problems before - the user guide is not too helpful, either!  I appreciate your help and especially your patience!

• 5. Re: playback stops

I'm sure you will find my books much more helpful than the user's manual!

Meantime, something is not right at your end. Photos ALWAYS need to be rendered -- so if you're not seeing a red line above them on your timeline, then something is wrong. Are you working in Timeline mode?

Also, you need to ensure that these photos are no larger than 1000x750 pixels are you're going to have problems.

It's very important that you tell me what you're doing and what happens when you follow my advice.

You do a screen cap in Windows by pressing the Print Screen key on your keyboard. You will then be able to paste this image from your clipboard into a Photoshop Elements file and save it as a JPEG.

• 6. Re: playback stops
                    mj1114 Level 1

First of all, I've never even heard of rendering till now!  I never had this problem before, but it was on a different laptop with Windows Vista instead of Windows 7.  Could this be a Windows 7 issue?  My photos are larger than what you said - they seem to be 2816 x 2112 - again, I've never changed that either.  Can I change them all at once or do I have to do them individually?  Does it need to be done in Photoshop or can it be done in Premiere Elements?  Also, once I do the screen shot and save it, then what - can I insert it into the message?  Should I do the screen shot on the one it is stopping on? Lame questions, I know!

• 7. Re: playback stops
                      mj1114 Level 1

I tried saving the screen cap but I must be doing something wrong - it doesn't give me the option of saving it as a jpeg only as a psd.

• 8. Re: playback stops

The link I gave you above tells you how to batch resize your photos.

To add your screen cap to a response, browse to the JPEG on your hard drive using the Attach Files button at the bottom of the Reply box.

Meantime, you'll need to be more specific about what you're doing or I won't be able to help you get back on track. There's no reason, for instance, that you can't save your image as a JPEG. Have you tried going to the Layers drop-down menu and selecting Flatten yet?

Once again, my books explain all of this in detail, usually with step-by-step instructions and lots of illustrations. One of them might be a good investment if you're trying to master even the basics of the program!

• 9. Re: playback stops
                          mj1114 Level 1

Do you have a book on Premiere Elements 4?  I couldn't find it.  I should probably start from scratch!!

• 10. Re: playback stops

Sorry, no books on version 4 exist that I'm aware of.

But you might want to check out my latest books for version 9. The interface is similar enough that, with the exception of a few features, 99% of it should apply to version 4.

• 11. Re: playback stops
                              mj1114 Level 1

Thanks for all of your help!  I will pick up a book and get started!

• 12. Re: playback stops
                                AceCoolie

I'm having this as well.  I've got PE12 on a Win 8.1 64bit box (Top spec Dell XPS 27).  After adding some clips to the timeline, when I go to play them, sometimes it plays all the way thru and sometimes it just randomly stops.  When it does, I can hit the space bar and it will start again but then it will just randomly quit again.  It's like my space bar is being pressed at random.  Any ideas what could be causing it?

• 13. Re: playback stops
                                  A.T. Romano Level 7

AceCoolie

Please start you own new thread on your "Playback Stops" issue so that your details and troubleshooting do not get buried tacked on to the end of the thread of another. Problems with the same symptoms can (often do) have different causes.

But, wherever we discuss your issue, you will need to supply the details specific to your situation. So far we know Premiere Elements 12 on Windows 8.1 64 bit. What about the important information related to:

a. properties of source media

b. project preset set by you or the project...see Edit Menu/Project Settings/General and Editing Mode, Timebase, Frame Size, and Pixel Aspect Ratio readings (even if they looked grayed out) if you do not know the project preset which should be matching the properties of the source media.

c. lots more questions based on the answers to the basics

We will be watching for your follow up wherever it might be.

Thank you.

ATR