18 Replies Latest reply on Feb 21, 2011 12:04 PM by marie.swords

CS3 Photoshop RAW error

marie.swords

Hello,

I am using CS3 Photoshop Master Collection on a Vista and a Windows 7 computer's. I am unable to open RAW files due to the following error:

Could not complete your request because of a program error.

I am trying to open up a RAW file from a camera that is Nikon D3000. I am not actually on my computer typing this message but I am thinking both are 64 bit but they may be 32 bit. The RAW feature has never worked for me. The Nikon RAW files are actually NEF. Any help will be helpful. Thank you very much!

Marie

• 1. Re: CS3 Photoshop RAW error
          Curt Y Level 6

In photoshop open Help/plugins/camera raw.  There should be one version there, should be 4.6 or 7?, which is last version.

Most  probloems with camera raw are that the ACR is in wrong folder, or there  is more than one version in folder.  ACR does not go in the plug in  folder.

1 person found this helpful
          • 2. Re: CS3 Photoshop RAW error
            marie.swords Level 1

Hi,

I have 2 in the plug-ins and they both are 4.6. Am I suppose to have only one? Do I go and delete one? If so, would i go to my Photoshop folder to do that?Where do I move it to from the plug-in folder?

Thank you very much!

• 3. Re: CS3 Photoshop RAW error
              Yammer Level 4

marie.swords wrote:

I am using CS3 Photoshop Master Collection on a Vista and a Windows 7 computer's. I am unable to open RAW files due to the following error:

Could not complete your request because of a program error.

I am trying to open up a RAW file from a camera that is Nikon D3000. I am not actually on my computer typing this message but I am thinking both are 64 bit but they may be 32 bit. The RAW feature has never worked for me. The Nikon RAW files are actually NEF. Any help will be helpful. Thank you very much!

D3000 wasn't supported until ACR 5.5, which only works with CS4. You'll need to download the free DNG converter to convert your NEFs to DNGs for use with CS3 and ACR 4.6.

You can get DNG Converter here: http://www.adobe.com/downloads/

• 4. Re: CS3 Photoshop RAW error
                Curt Y Level 6

Yes, you would have to delte one file.  These are in Program Files/COMMON FILES/adobe/bridge/plugins.  The last may not be exact as am on another computer without photoshop, but this will get you in neighborhood.

Yammer is correct that CS3 ACR will not support the D3000 so follow his advice for this.

• 5. Re: CS3 Photoshop RAW error
                  marie.swords Level 1

I tried both suggestions and neither worked. I guess I will try Capture NX2. I am not a fan of that. Still trying to learn that software. I know CS3 well. I do not even know anything about Lightroom 2 and I have that one as well. Thank you :-)

• 6. Re: CS3 Photoshop RAW error
                    Yammer Level 4

My solution should work:

download the correct version of DNG Converter (Mac or Windows)

run the program (you may need to change the compatibility setting to ACR 4.6)

point at your NEF folder and process

open the resulting DNG files in ACR 4.6

If it doesn't work, tell us where it fails and we'll help.

• 7. Re: CS3 Photoshop RAW error
                      marie.swords Level 1

I downloaded the software and tried to open my RAW NEF files and received the same error in Photoshop. I am still unable to open the files.

• 8. Re: CS3 Photoshop RAW error
                        Noel Carboni Level 7

Did you download the DNG Converter version 6.3?

If so, there may be something wrong with your raw file(s).

Can you post a copy of a file you cannot open online?  I'll be happy (as I'm sure will others) to try to open it with software known to otherwise work.

If you don't have a web location you can use, you could send it to yourself with YouSendIt.com and post the link here.

-Noel

• 9. Re: CS3 Photoshop RAW error
                          marie.swords Level 1

Hello,

Yes, that is the version of DNG I have downloaded.

I did the yousendit and here is the link to one of my NEF files I am trying to open in CS3.

Thank you,

Marie

• 10. Re: CS3 Photoshop RAW error
                            JimHess-ra2Osl Level 3

Well, for what it's worth, I downloaded your file and converted it with the DNG converter version 6.3.  In the DNG converter dialog I made sure I set the compatibility to version 4.6.  I ran the conversion, and the resulting DNG file opened in Photoshop CS 3 and ACR 4.6.

• 11. Re: CS3 Photoshop RAW error
                              marie.swords Level 1

Then i am doing something wrong because I have each of the versions you just named and still get the same error from my first post :-(

• 12. Re: CS3 Photoshop RAW error
                                marie.swords Level 1

I think I got it to work! I was doing it wrong. I was still opening it up as a PS file when I had to change my preference to open as a DNG file and it opened.

• 13. Re: CS3 Photoshop RAW error
                                  JimHess-ra2Osl Level 3

After I did the conversion, all I did was right click on the DNG file and choose " open with" and then choose Photoshop CS3.  Photoshop started, ACR loaded, and then it loaded the DNG file.  Pretty straightforward.  I'm using Windows.

• 14. Re: CS3 Photoshop RAW error
                                    marie.swords Level 1

This is what I did...I opened Photoshop CS3 and Adobe Bridge. I went into Preferences of Bridge and then file types. I changed it from Photoshop CS3 to DNG and the file saved in DNG. I was then able to open it in Photoshop. I was going to try to see if I can open the files in the Photoshop Camera RAW but I was unable to find where it's located on my computer for preferences. But I did see it in Photoshop as a plugin.I do not think it will work because adobe shows my camera was updated in CS4.

Thank You,

Marie

• 15. Re: CS3 Photoshop RAW error
                                      JimHess-ra2Osl Level 3

It occurs to me that you still don't understand what is going on. Camera Raw IS a plug in for Photoshop. There is absolutely no other way for you to call it. You can change whether to host Camera Raw in Photoshop or in Bridge, but that just controls whether or not Photoshop opens before Camera Raw opens. The reason you are using the DNG converter is because Photoshop CS3 does not support your raw files directly. It is too old. By converting them to the DNG format, you are creating a a file containing the original raw image data that can be opened with any version of Camera Raw and from version 2.4 onward. You just have to make sure in the DNG converter dialog that you indicate the appropriate compatibility for whatever version of Camera Raw you are using.

You will never be able to open your raw files with Photoshop CS3. It is old software that is no longer supported even by Adobe. So converting to DNG is the solution. If you want to be able to work on your original raw files then you need to update to the current version of Photoshop. And Photoshop CS4 is now obsolete and unsupported. So you might as well upgrade to CS5.

• 16. Re: CS3 Photoshop RAW error
                                        marie.swords Level 1

Thank you :-)

• 17. Re: CS3 Photoshop RAW error
                                          JimHess-ra2Osl Level 3

What you should be able to do from Bridge is view your DNG files. You should be able to right-click on them and choose to open them in Camera Raw. Alternatively, you should be able to simply double-click on the image and it should open in Camera Raw. Depending on how you have chosen to host Camera Raw, Photoshop may or may not open first. For instance, in the Bridge preferences I have chosen to "Double-click opens image in Bridge." That option can be found in the " General" section of the preferences dialog. With that option, Photoshop will not open before ACR. It will only open when I click on the " open image" button in ACR.

• 18. Re: CS3 Photoshop RAW error
                                            marie.swords Level 1

I can see the files in Bridge, I am now able to open them in DNG and see the file in Camera RAW. I can now use Photoshop to make the adjustments and add items as well. The DNG is working great! Thank you,

Marie