6 Replies Latest reply on Feb 22, 2011 5:30 AM by NewToPremiereElements

How can I get cross fade/dissolve of both audio and video?

NewToPremiereElements Level 1

I want to centre the coss fade/dissolve transition on the clip boundary.  I can do this with the video cross dissolve but not the audio cross fade - for the audio, the Alignment facility in the Edit transition is greyed out and the transition can only be located to the left or right of the clip boundary.  It seems an obvious requirement and surprising that audio cross fade is not, optionally at least, an integral part of the video cross dissolve (as it is in Corel VideoStudio).

• 1. Re: How can I get cross fade/dissolve of both audio and video?

Since posting the question, I have reloaded and now find that I can indeed centre the audio cross fade on the clip boundary.  Only problem is that when I run the project, the two pices of audio do not actually fade in and out!!

• 2. Re: How can I get cross fade/dissolve of both audio and video?
            Steve Grisetti Adobe Community Professional

You don't say what you're doing, so it's hard to say what you're doing incorrectly.

For instance, you should be working in Timeline mode to do this. Not Sceneline. Are you in Timeline mode?

You add a video transition by dragging it from the Video Transitions panel (under the Edit tab) onto the intersection of clips on the timeline. It sounds like you may be using Fade In/Out instead.

To add an audio crossfade (there are only two audio transitions, both crossfades), set the Transitions panel to Audio Transitions and drag one of the two from this panel to the intersection of your audio clips.

If you're new to Premiere Elements, you may want to check out my free Basic Training tutorials at Premiere Elements support site Muvipix.com.

1 person found this helpful
            • 3. Re: How can I get cross fade/dissolve of both audio and video?
              Ted Smith Level 3

As I understand it a dissolve in audio requires a loss of time somewhere. The start of the second audio must be before the end of the first audio so that in the middle of the transition you have 50% of both. This implies a gap will be produced somewhere.

Unless the audio of both are quite different (eg speech and music), it can sound very messy.

Often a video disslove but audio fade out & in can be better than dissloving the audio too..

To dissolve either video or audio, if the two clips are recorded at different times you place the first one on one track and the second on a different timeline track, drag the second one early by the duratrion of the dissolve. Then apply fade out the first and fade in the second and you get a dissolve.(select track and right click)

If the clip is one long take and you want to cut out a bit and dissolve over it, put in a break line (scissors tool) and do as above, or insert a disslove effect on the break line if you want to keep it a single track. In this case it can be better to just cut the audio. You can change the transition point of the video to audio by unlinking the audio and video of both sections and dragging the break point. (be careful not to make them out of sync)

I often find when using a video disslove from music to speech, (Eg from the title to the first action) it is better to fade out slowly the previous audio and abruptly increase the audio level of the second just before the person wants to talk to eliminate unwanted bits of audio..

You can easily adjust the levels and rate of increase etc by dragging the yellow lines in the timeline audio and inserting an extra diamond marker where you want the slope to change.

2 people found this helpful
              • 4. Re: How can I get cross fade/dissolve of both audio and video?

Steve - thanks for the reply.

Yes I am working in Timeline mode and have done what you suggest - i.e., drag in the video transition followed by the audio transition.  However, despite my original update to the question, I now cannot centre the audio transition on the clip boundary - it worked once as reported but not since.

Basically when I drag the audio cross fade transition on to the timeline, it will only let me drop it to the left or right of the clip boundary.  I then hightlight the transition and click on the edit transition button.  The properties are displayed and I can alter the length of the transition but the wording in the alignment row of the properties is greyed out with the setting being "End at cut".  The down arrow head to give the drop down with the other settings is grey and inactive.

I don't understand how I made it work once!

Any ideas?

Frank

• 5. Re: How can I get cross fade/dissolve of both audio and video?
                  the_wine_snob Level 9

Frank,

An Audio Cross-Dissolve is basically a Keyframed dip in Volume to -oo dB, and then back up from -oo dB to whatever the Volume setting is.

As Ted mentions, if one has additional Audio, one CAN center the Cross-Dissolve between the Audio Clips. If there is no Audio, then the only option will be to drop the Volume of one Clip, and then raise it for the following Clip. Do you have Audio material, after the Out Point of the first Clip, and before the In Point of the next Clip?

Good luck,

Hunt

• 6. Re: How can I get cross fade/dissolve of both audio and video?

Bill, thanks for that.

I don't have any addition audio.  I'm guessing that I got the centring to work on the one occasion, I'd separated the audio and video from one clip and used that - I don't actually remember.

I think that I'll use the manual method with overlapping clips - a bit cumbersome but it will give me complete control.

Thanks again  -  Frank