4 Replies Latest reply on Feb 22, 2011 11:09 AM by Szalam

Set Extension Question

Intensity22 Level 1

Is it possible to have a set extension while having the people in the scene directly in front of it (running towards the camera)? Or do they have to be to the side, etc, where they aren't in front of the image? I really don't want to have to do it again, so it would be awesome if you could get it to go behind the people without intricate masking each frame. Thanks.

• 1. Re: Set Extension Question
          Rick Gerard Adobe Community Professional & MVP

Not sure if I understand what you're asking. If you want to know if it's possible to separate an actor from the background without doing a lot of frame by frame masking the answer is yes or no depending on how you shot the scene. There are a bunch of techniques that can be used to generate procedural mattes if the footage has the appropriate elements. Mocha can be used to track and create masks for an easier roto experience with some types of footage. There's the roto brush which works just fine on other types of footage. Without seeing a sample of the footage and a better description of what you're trying to do I'd guess that you're going to have to do some hand roto work. Post a still frame or a short video sample and I'll give you a better answer.

• 2. Re: Set Extension Question
            Mylenium Most Valuable Participant

so it would be awesome if you could get it to go behind the people without intricate masking each frame.

Probably not, but there's always the chance you could create a difference matte if you have a clean plate, that is a shot without any people or otehr obstructions in it. If that's not the case and you haven't worked with green or blue screen, then some roto is probably inevitable.

Mylenium

• 3. Re: Set Extension Question
              Intensity22 Level 1

I'll try and get a frame up later if I can. Basically, there's a shot with two people running about 10 yards towards the camera. They're a little to the left, but otherwise, for quite a bit of it they're obscuring the sky/background that I want to replace. A lot of the demos of it I've seen on youtube generally have the person standing over to the side of the new background, so I'm a bit worried that this might be necessary.

• 4. Re: Set Extension Question
                Szalam Adobe Community Professional & MVP

If you do end up having to mask those people out (rotoscoping), try this page. It's full of useful tips, tricks, techniques, and tutorials to make rotoscoping a lot easier and faster.