13 Replies Latest reply on Feb 21, 2011 5:01 PM by the_wine_snob

Horizontal lines in any exported video file type in Elements 9

matthew max

I have switched from Elements 4 to Elements 9 for my video production, and I have not been able to get rid of the horizontal lines in ANY file type or with any setting.  I have tried everything I've read so far on these forums.

A lot of comments say that exporting to WMV is the problem, but I export hundreds of videos to WMV with Elements 4 on my 32-bit XP computer.

Whether in 32-bit XP or on my new super powerful 64-bit Windows 7 computer, Elements 9 renders lines with motion. The screen shot shows a typical example.  Butterflies as flying lines, and the edge of a tree, as I panned, has a shadow along it made of many lines.horizontal lines_smaller pix.png

• 1. Re: Horizontal lines in any exported video file type in Elements 9
          Steve Grisetti Adobe Community Professional

What type of camcorder is your video coming from and which project settings did you select when you started your Premiere Elements project?

This type of comb effect is usually the result of a mismatch between source video and project.

• 2. Re: Horizontal lines in any exported video file type in Elements 9
            matthew max Level 1

I am using a Sony HDR XR550V and I am using every imaginable project setting that I have seen in the forums.  I am testing every recommendation I've read pertaining to other people's posts, and nothing is changing the outcome.  So far.  Other people have said they haven't been able to solve it either.  I have so much money in this that I have to solve this somehow. Thanks.

• 3. Re: Horizontal lines in any exported video file type in Elements 9

You should be using this project preset: AVCHD 1920x1080 Stereo. But this will only work if you are shooting in FX or FH mode.

If you've set up your project correctly, there will be no red lines above your clips on your timeline until you add transitions or effects to them. Is this the case?

Saying other people haven't been able to solve this problem is not helpful. If your project and output are set up correctly, it will work.

But I can't help you with figuring out what you're doing wrong unless you provide me with more details on what you're trying. Simply saying, "I'm testing every recommendation" doesn't really tell us much.

• 4. Re: Horizontal lines in any exported video file type in Elements 9
                matthew max Level 1

I shot a bunch of footage on the HD HQ setting, which the manual says is the default.  However, I think I manually changed it from FX or FH without realizing it.  I'm not convinced that HQ is the real default. Do you have a suggestion for this situation, as far as editing goes?

• 5. Re: Horizontal lines in any exported video file type in Elements 9
                  matthew max Level 1

Steve, I went back and checked the file types:

1.  From my previous camera (Sony HC9), I have avi and mpeg footage still to edit.

2.  From this new Sony HDR XR550V, my first footage was .m2ts (V), which doesn't sound like the HQ setting is the default, as the manual says.

3.  And then I unwittingly changed to HQ and got the .mts (V) footage. I just processed a piece of the .m2ts footage according to your project settings, and lines still appear in the exported wmv at the point of quick motion.  As for the red line above the clips on the timeline, there is none until I add a transition or effect.

• 6. Re: Horizontal lines in any exported video file type in Elements 9

Let's not add any more complexity at this point by discussing your second camcorder. Its footage is going to need to be handled separately.

You still haven't said if you're seeing red lines above your clips when you add them to the timeline.

Also, are you judging your WMV file at 100% size or at full screen? If you're looking at it at more than 100%, you're over-rezzing the image.

Finally, remember that WMVs use a pretty high compression system -- so movement is always going to cause some sort of artifacts.

So it all depends on how you plan to deliver this video. Are you trying to output a DVD, BluRay, show it online, show it from a computer or what?

• 7. Re: Horizontal lines in any exported video file type in Elements 9
                      matthew max Level 1

I said in the last sentence of the last post that I only get the red line if I add an effect or transition, just as you predicted.

I brought up the older camera because Elements 4.0 and my XP computer handled every bit of DV or HDV footage from that older camera, while Elements 9 on the XP computer and my new super computer won't handle ANY footage properly if it contains rapid movement.

I make videos to use on local computers and to be viewed over the internet.  I use the WMV Lan setting when I export.  It worked perfectly with 4.0.

Now, this is exactly where I see all attempts in other forums going astray--the assumption that WMVs may be the problem inherently.  I have processed hundreds of WMVs with 4.0 and they look great at any viewing size on the screen and on a local computer or viewed over the internet. 4.0 has worked perfectly for this.  I'm stumped!

This combing appeared in a Flash video I made yesterday.  I sure appreciate the time you put into helping us deperate people.

• 8. Re: Horizontal lines in any exported video file type in Elements 9

I've never been really happy with Premiere Elements WMVs. I usually output a DV-AVI from Premiere Elements and then use Windows MovieMaker to create a really nice WMV.

But here are a couple of options:

When you go to Share/Computer/WMV, try clicking on the Advanced button and,

In the Advanced Settings, go to the Video tab and set the Codec to Windows Media Player 9 Advanced Profile. (You'll be prompted to save this as a new preset when you click OK -- then you can re-use it any time.) See if that makes a difference.

If not, there are some other things you can do to de-interlace your video on your timeline -- but you shouldn't need to do that.

Or you can use my method. Windows MovieMaker makes much cleaner WMVs!

• 9. Re: Horizontal lines in any exported video file type in Elements 9
                          the_wine_snob Level 9

Steve,

Many users feel the same way about PrPro and WMV's too. For a long while, the rec. was to use MS's Windows Media Encoder, but it is my understanding that MS has dropped support of this free program. Luckily, I got a copy of it, when MS still had it on their site. I find that it works well too. If the support has been dropped, then the rec. for WMM is probably the most viable alternative.

Hunt

1 person found this helpful
                          • 10. Re: Horizontal lines in any exported video file type in Elements 9
                            matthew max Level 1

Steve, your method worked well.  So easy. The WMP 9 Advanced Profile just made the picture worse (at least as I tried it). So thank you again, but now what do we do with this fact:  I was able to make wmv's just fine in 4.0 by my own method.  My equipment will eat video alive if Premiere Elements 9 would cooperate.  Are you of the mind that 9.0 just isn't made to do it?

Hunt, I'll run the dv avi through the Windows Media Encoder and compare it to Windows Movie Maker.  I use them both a lot for different reasons.  I have never tried what you were saying.

• 11. Re: Horizontal lines in any exported video file type in Elements 9
                              nealeh Level 5

It's been replaced by Expression Encoder 4, for which there is a free version.

Cheers,
                              --
                              Neale
                              Insanity is hereditary, you get it from your children

1 person found this helpful
                              • 12. Re: Horizontal lines in any exported video file type in Elements 9
                                matthew max Level 1

Gracias, everyone.  I'll carry the 4.0 vs. 9.0 issue into a separate thread.

• 13. Re: Horizontal lines in any exported video file type in Elements 9
                                  the_wine_snob Level 9

Neale,

Thank you for that update. I am glad that MS did not drop the WMV encoding completely - just repackaged it.

Appreciated,

Hunt