3 Replies Latest reply on Feb 21, 2011 12:47 PM by PoppyAG

How to edit in ACR when ICC profile not recognised?

PoppyAG

Hi everyone,

I am getting some of my photographic images made into a book by a large and reputable printer in HK.  They have just sent me their ICC profile and I've figured out how to do soft proofing in photoshop using the profile.

However, I do 99% of my images adjustments in camera raw, then only open the image in photoshop if I need to do something else camera raw can't do (rarely).

Is it correct that I won't be able to see how my photo will look when printed until I open the image in photoshop, after I've already done of my adjustments in camera raw, and meaning that I might have to do another round of changes in photoshop??

Is there any way for camera raw to load the ICC profile so I can see what it's going to look like while I'm making the adjustments in camera raw, not after they're already done??

HELP!

Thanks,

Poppy

• 1. Re: How to edit in ACR when ICC profile not recognised?
          Noel Carboni Level 7

As I asked in the Photoshop Windows forum, what profile(s) have they sent you, along with what instruction?  A printer profile?  A document profile?  Both?

It may be that you'll want to work on your images in one of the standard document profiles (ProPhoto RGB, Adobe RGB, sRGB) then when you're ready to deliver images to the publisher you'll want to do a Convert to Profile operation.

But that's getting ahead of things.  You really haven't given quite enough information just yet.

-Noel

• 2. Re: How to edit in ACR when ICC profile not recognised?
            Jeff Schewe Level 5

PoppyAG wrote:

Is there any way for camera raw to load the ICC profile so I can see what it's going to look like while I'm making the adjustments in camera raw, not after they're already done??

No...you'll have to set the RGB Workflow Options in Camera Raw for one of 4 RGB output profiles. If you are not sure about what to use, I would suggest reading up on color management. The profiles provided by your printer can be used in Photoshop for soft proofing and then color separations...but they can not be used in Camera Raw.

• 3. Re: How to edit in ACR when ICC profile not recognised?
              PoppyAG Level 1

See reply from other forum, they've given me two printer profiles.

Think I will just edit in ACR using Adobe RGB then do the soft proofing in photoshop.  Applying the ICC profile in the soft proof didn't change the image that much.

Thanks for your help.

Poppy