3 Replies Latest reply on Feb 21, 2011 12:41 PM by the_wine_snob

Why Can't I Put My Clips on Certain Video and Audio Tracks?

Wisconsind Level 1

I have been having trouble getting my audio and video clips on to the specific audio and video tracks that I want them to be on.

When I start a new project and there are only 1 or 2 video and audio tracks, there is no problem.  I can drag clips from the project panel or insert from the source clip panel onto any track that I want.  When I add some new tracks and then try to put my content onto those tracks, it sometimes does not work.  It will not let me put my content on certain tracks.  I select the tracks I want it on, and then drag or insert, and it often times ends up on a different track down the line and I have to find where it is.  Then when I find it, I try to drag it up to where I want it, and it will not let me.  I often times end up with a project that has many more tracks than what I wanted and everything all spread out and hard to work with.

I have been trying to figure this out for many months. I have been trying to lock certain tracks, avoid certain tracks or create new tracks and I just cant find a pattern to what it is doing or why.

Can you suggest something else that I can try.  Maybe I am missing something

• 1. Re: Why Can't I Put My Clips on Certain Video and Audio Tracks?
          Colin Brougham Level 6

Any kind of source video can go on any video track in a sequence. Therefore, it's the audio that is causing the problem.

Your source clips can have three potential audio channel assignments (actually, there are more, but they are just combinations of these three). A source clip can have mono audio, stereo audio, or 5.1 audio. Correspondingly, there are specific types of audio tracks that must be in a sequence in order for source clips with specific source channels to be edited into them. If you drag a clip to a sequence, and there is not an audio track that matches the source channels of the source clip, a new track will be created that matches, e.g. a stereo track for a stereo source clip. However, if you try to insert or overlay a source clip into a sequence that doesn't have a matching track, the audio will be ignored.

In the sequence, you can tell what sort of audio track you're working with if you look for the little speaker icon that appears just to the right of the track header label (Audio 1, Audio 2, etc.). A single speaker is mono, a double speaker is stereo, and "5.1" is displayed for 5.1. You can add tracks manually by right-clicking the header area and selecting Add Tracks, or going to Sequence > Add Tracks.

It sounds like you're working with media with various audio assignments; the Project Panel display will tell you how many channels are in your source clips if you don't know for sure. Once you know that, you can control where your clips go when you attempt to add them to a sequence.

• 2. Re: Why Can't I Put My Clips on Certain Video and Audio Tracks?
            Wisconsind Level 1

Thank You.  I will work with the information you gave me and see if I can

learn what is going on.

To:     Dan Seanor <seanord@ntc.edu>

Date:   02/21/2011 09:49 AM

Subject:        Why Can't I Put My Clips on Certain

Video and Audio Tracks?

Any kind of source video can go on any video track in a sequence.

Therefore, it's the audio that is causing the problem.

Your source clips can have three potential audio channel assignments

(actually, there are more, but they are just combinations of these three).

A source clip can have mono audio, stereo audio, or 5.1 audio.

Correspondingly, there are specific types of audio tracks that must be in

a sequence in order for source clips with specific source channels to be

edited into them. If you drag a clip to a sequence, and there is not an

audio track that matches the source channels of the source clip, a new

track will be created that matches, e.g. a stereo track for a stereo

source clip. However, if you try to insert or overlay a source clip into a

sequence that doesn't have a matching track, the audio will be ignored.

In the sequence, you can tell what sort of audio track you're working with

if you look for the little speaker icon that appears just to the right of

the track header label (Audio 1, Audio 2, etc.). A single speaker is mono,

a double speaker is stereo, and "5.1" is displayed for 5.1. You can add

tracks manually by right-clicking the header area and selecting Add

Tracks, or going to Sequence > Add Tracks.

It sounds like you're working with media with various audio assignments;

the Project Panel display will tell you how many channels are in your

source clips if you don't know for sure. Once you know that, you can

control where your clips go when you attempt to add them to a sequence.

• 3. Re: Why Can't I Put My Clips on Certain Video and Audio Tracks?
              the_wine_snob Level 9

For a bit of background, on what Colin mentioned, this ARTICLE might be useful.

Good luck,

Hunt