6 Replies Latest reply on Feb 17, 2012 6:22 AM by Noel Carboni

Weird Low Color Depth & Discoloration in ACR (HELP ME PLEASE)

masayarider

I can't figure out this problem for the life of me!  I have been editing pictures from my D90 in ACR for quite some time now.  I have recently upgraded to a new computer and now I am experiencing a very strange problem.

Instead of getting nice smooth gradients like usual, I am seeing severe (color?) banding.  The image looks pasty and smudged.  Also green appears in rings or bands -- seeming to replace some other specific color.  I am out at work right now, but I'll post a picture as soon as I get back.  The greenish tint usually apears around areas of high contrast.  I'm guessing it's something to do with color depth; but I could be terribly wrong.

Usually, right off the bat, the pictures in ACR will look pretty much fine.  There may be a little bit of it but it's harder to notice.  But as soon as you begin to use the Exposer slider, it's hard not to notice it.  It's gets increasingly worse as the picture becomes more and more low key.

Right now I'm Working with: (it's the short list, I'm at work)

-Windows 7 64x

-PS CS5 with the lastest ACR

-A BRIDGE

-MSI GTX460 (Latest drivers)

-D90 - Shooting in Raw

As far as ACR settings, I have it set to open pictures in 16bit.  The VGA is set to run the computer at 32bit.  What is it I'm doing wrong?

VERY IMPORTANT SIDE NOTE:

I have had ACR open pictures perfectly on this exact same tower.  I recently reinstalled the OS and that's when the problems began.  I don't know if that helps.

A VERY BIG THANK YOU!!  --in advance...I'm really stumped.

--Masa

• 1. Re: Weird Low Color Depth & Discoloration in ACR (HELP ME PLEASE)
          Greg Barnett Level 2

One quick thing to check since you mentioned a reinstall of the OS - monitor profile? If that is corrupt or missing, it could explain the distorted colors.

• 2. Re: Weird Low Color Depth & Discoloration in ACR (HELP ME PLEASE)
            ssprengel Adobe Community Professional & MVP

I second the idea about checking your monitor profile.  Try setting your display profile to sRGBxxxxxxxx (not the new WS or WCS versions, the older version) and see if things clear up.  LCD monitors sometimes come with color profiles that don't seem compatible with color-managed applications.  There could be adjustments in the video-card-specific control-panel application, but the main display color management settings for Windows 7 are in the Advanced area of the Display Settings.

The banding can also be a result of having a low bit-depth setting for the display, but the color-shifting sounds more like a profile issue. 

As a permanent solution, use a hardware calibrator like a Spyder or EyeOne.

• 3. Re: Weird Low Color Depth & Discoloration in ACR (HELP ME PLEASE)
              masayarider Level 1

I think I'm beginning to isolate the problem.  It looks like it does have something to do with Windows 7 color management; because viewing the pictures as a jpeg in a standard picture-viewing program will have that same weird pasty color.  But, as soon as I load the same Jpeg on to flickr, the color problems go away.  Also, full screening the picture will get rid of the problem.

I checked some of my other pictures that I know look good, and they have the same problem.

If I do a soft proof in photoshop, the problem will go away.  But this is hardly a solution, because ACR, BRIDGE, and any picture viewer will still display this strange problem.

I'm just not sure what to do next.  I have the correct monitor profiles installed.  What can I try?

• 4. Re: Weird Low Color Depth & Discoloration in ACR (HELP ME PLEASE)
                Noel Carboni Level 7

The differences you're seeing are between color-managed applications (e.g., Windows photo viewer) and those that are not (e.g., Internet Explorer).

You say you have the correct monitor profiles installed, but some profiles are just bad - the one you have tied to your monitor is bad.  Hard to believe but it happens.  Did this profile come with the monitor?

Try setting the monitor profile to sRGB to see if the problem is resolved.

If it is, you can either keep sRGB as your monitor profile, try to find another one online that matches the monitor, or (as noted above) get a color calibration/profiling device and make a new profile specifically for your system.

-Noel

• 5. Re: Weird Low Color Depth & Discoloration in ACR (HELP ME PLEASE)
                  mosmi001

please mine is just a question. my computer is a desktop that i installed darklite os, the colour depth is still very low (4 bits) which software can i use to change this so that i can enjoy the services? because i think i have tried everything but nothing solves the problem

• 6. Re: Weird Low Color Depth & Discoloration in ACR (HELP ME PLEASE)
                    Noel Carboni Level 7

What the heck is "darklite os"?

-Noel