6 Replies Latest reply on Feb 22, 2011 4:14 AM by KJonesy

Problem using "search" in project panel

KJonesy Level 1

Every time I try a search in the project panel, I get the "not responding" message...if I wait, the first letter that I had typed shows up in the search line. Then if i type a second letter, I get the error message again and so on.

The search works perfectly in the Media Brower panel.

Is there a simple way to fix this? I can, of course, manually search the project panel for the item I am looking for but with large projects it would certainly save time.

• 1. Re: Problem using "search" in project panel
          T-Craft Level 1

what system are you on?  Mac or PC?

what are your system specs including drives?  Are you running more than one drive for your system, media, scratches etc?

what happens when you sit and wait out the "not responding" warning for a few minutes? does it ever come back to normal functioning?  Generally I get the "not responding" warning when I try to access something on an external hard drive that has fallen alsleep....and if I wait on it to wake up, ppro comes through the not repsonding warning okay.

• 2. Re: Problem using "search" in project panel
            the_wine_snob Level 9

Along with T-Craft's questions, do you have Windows Indexing turned ON for your HDD's? Obviously, that would assume that you are on a PC w/ Windows.

Good luck,

Hunt

• 3. Re: Problem using "search" in project panel
              KJonesy Level 1

Windows Vista 64 bit.

AMD Phenom 9600 Quad-Core 2.30 Ghz

8 GB RAM

All setting for project (including scratch disks, audio, previews) are located on the same HD.

Yes, if I sit and wait long enough, the program begins to work. So I type in the second letter in the word I am looking for and go through the not responding process again.

I checked the Windows Indexing and the drive and index for searching is started and checked.

• 4. Re: Problem using "search" in project panel
                the_wine_snob Level 9

As Windows Indexing cannot really perform its tasks with AV files, I would turn that OFF. It tries to index all files, even if it cannot and will lock files, while it tries. It works fine with DOC files, Exel spreadsheets, and the like, but not with AV files.

Hope that it is as simple as that.

Good luck, and thanks for the info,

Hunt

• 5. Re: Problem using "search" in project panel
                  T-Craft Level 1
                  All setting for project (including scratch disks, audio, previews) are located on the same HD.

If possible you should try to get a second drive for media/scratches.  the most ideal would be 3 drives....so that you could have scratches on one drive, media on one drive, and a system drive with OS/applications/ and project files.  (and actually I store/run my project files on a 16gb high speed thumbnail drive) keeping my system drive totally clean of anything but OS and apps.  Most times a system will not run efficiently with everything on the same drive.

• 6. Re: Problem using "search" in project panel
                    KJonesy Level 1

Okay, I try that and see if it helps.