7 Replies Latest reply on Mar 15, 2011 2:03 PM by ahjr

Print job becomes massive with Flash Player 10.1 & 10.2?

brian.wolfe

First off, some info.  This is rather old code, written in 2007/2008 with Flex 2 by someone no longer with the company.  It has worked just fine for years, but not anymore.  The application aggregates pricing data over several years, and shows it in a series of 5 or so charts depending on user options.  There is a print button which takes the charts, puts them into a print template, and prints the charts (using the FlexPrintJob function) - or at least that's what it should do.

Here's the lowdown:

Flash Player 10.0.x and lower (down to FP 9.x), it works beautifully.

Flash Player 10.1.x with hardware acceleration off, it works beautifully.

Flash Player 10.1.x with hardware acceleration on, it breaks.

Flash Player 10.2.x under any condition, it breaks.

Now, what I mean by 'breaks' is this: when printing, it spools a 600MB+ file to the printer, gets to ~500MB (roughly the print spool limit), and prints the template with the first chart complete and the rest of the charts missing anywhere from 1/2 to all of the chart area.  If a smaller dataset is used, the charts may or may not complete, but the print job is still massive - the lowest I've seen is 350MB.  In scenarios where it works beautifully, the print job is 12MB at most.

This slice of the application is part of an application bundle we sell as a service to clients, and forcing a FP downgrade on them is not an option.

Has anyone run into this issue, or know where I might start to fix it?  In leui of that, any suggestions for porting a Flex 2 application to a FB4 application?

Thanks for your time, and any help.

• 1. Re: Print job becomes massive with Flash Player 10.1 & 10.2?
          Flex harUI Adobe Employee

If you use Flex 2 or Flex 3 to print a single chart, does it work ok?

• 2. Re: Print job becomes massive with Flash Player 10.1 & 10.2?
            brian.wolfe Level 1

Removing charts from the printing template doesn't fix the issue - even with only a single chart displayed in the template, the print job is roughly 50X the size it should be, and still does not print the entire chart.  I don't have the flex knowledge to try to print this out of it's context.  The original application was, as far as I know, developed manually - there is no overall project file, just a folder full of mxml's, as's, and swf's.

Again, the issue is only in those specific versions of the flash player, and it is not browser specific.  I can't seem to find an exact changelog, just articles talking about what generally changed between versions.  I'd be happy to share the print job code through PM if it would help.

• 3. Re: Print job becomes massive with Flash Player 10.1 & 10.2?

Use one of the examples in the doc for printing and see what size that print

job is.

• 4. Re: Print job becomes massive with Flash Player 10.1 & 10.2?
                brian.wolfe Level 1

The only printing example I could find in the Flex 2 docs is the very simple one here - Flex 2 Developer's Guide > Flex Programming Topics > Printing > Using the FlexPrintJob class > Example: A simple print job

Surprisingly, even with a basic print job, the issue appears - in FP 10.2, the print job is ~13MB, in FP 10.0, the print job is ~2.3MB.

For reference, the code used for the example (from Adobe's docs) is as follows:

<?xml version="1.0" encoding="utf-8"?>
                <mx:Application xmlns:mx="http://www.adobe.com/2006/mxml">

<mx:Script>
                        <![CDATA[
                            import mx.printing.*;

// Create a PrintJob instance.
                            private function doPrint():void {
                                var printJob:FlexPrintJob = new FlexPrintJob();
                                // Start the print job.
                                if (printJob.start() != true) return;
                                // Add the object to print. Do not scale it.
                                printJob.addObject(myDataGrid, FlexPrintJobScaleType.NONE);
                                // Send the job to the printer.
                                printJob.send();
                            }
                        ]]>
                    </mx:Script>

<mx:VBox id="myVBox">
                        <mx:DataGrid id="myDataGrid" width="300">
                            <mx:dataProvider>
                                <mx:Object Product="Flash" Code="1000"/>
                                <mx:Object Product="Flex" Code="2000"/>
                                <mx:Object Product="ColdFusion" Code="3000"/>
                                <mx:Object Product="JRun" Code="4000"/>
                            </mx:dataProvider>
                        </mx:DataGrid>
                        <mx:Button id="myButton" label="Print" click="doPrint();"/>
                    </mx:VBox>
                </mx:Application>

• 5. Re: Print job becomes massive with Flash Player 10.1 & 10.2?
                  brian.wolfe Level 1

I see there is now a bug report here - https://bugs.adobe.com/jira/browse/FP-6087 - please note, turning advanced printing features off does fix the file size, but does not alter the output at all.  In other words, while the print job is no longer massive, the charts are still only printing partial output.

• 6. Re: Print job becomes massive with Flash Player 10.1 & 10.2?

Can you add your test case to the bug or create a new bug?

• 7. Re: Print job becomes massive with Flash Player 10.1 & 10.2?
                      ahjr

Hello Alex - we are dead in the water with this issue - we have a Flex platform that utilizes the printJob for printing the on-screen display; no issues until 10.2 (maybe 10.1)...now, even single pages cannot be printed in their entirety and it takes 30 seconds to print the partial page. Multi-page reports do not print at all - we have added our vote and voiced our concern in the issue tracking system but we desperately require a fix - we have 50k+ users that utilize these print functions daily and we have no alternative.  How can this be escalated???  We appreciate any assistance you can provide.