6 Replies Latest reply on Feb 21, 2011 4:52 PM by jamesbtaylor3

Header error

jamesbtaylor3 Level 1

Hey. I didn't see anything in the forums about a header error with .mov's, just wmv. So, I'm just trying to import 10.5GB worth of SD footage (720x480) into my project, but it's saying that there is a header error. If this issue has been answered for an MOV and I just didn't see it, just post a link to the reply and that's it....otherwise, any help here would be great.

• 1. Re: Header error
          Jim_Simon Level 8

Where did you get the footage?

• 2. Re: Header error
            jamesbtaylor3 Level 1

DV tape captured on DV deck then attempted to import from a HDD

• 3. Re: Header error
              Harm Millaard Level 7
              DV tape captured on DV deck then attempted to import from a HDD

You can't 'capture' on a DV deck. You can play a tape on a DV deck. You can 'capture' FROM a DV deck over firewire. You can't 'import' a tape from a HDD. Care to be a bit more explicit, because this makes no sense at all.

Are you on a MAC?

• 4. Re: Header error
                jamesbtaylor3 Level 1

Wow. That was just a tad short of condescending. But just for humor.....

I put the DV tape into the DV deck and captured all source footage onto the HDD via a firewire cable. I then transferred said source footage from the internal HDD that was on the macintosh computer that I used, to an external HDD. I took said external HDD from work to home. I then transferred all digitized source footage from the external HDD to my internal HDD that is stationed on my Gateway PC that is running off Windows 7. I attempted to import the source footage from the internal HDD and it is giving this "header error".

And before anyone tries to raise some dumb suggestion that you can't capture on a MAC then edit on PC, my 6 other clips that were done the same way, on the same night, using the same equipment all worked fine.

• 5. Re: Header error
                  Harm Millaard Level 7

This is a clear description of what you have done. Sorry if I sounded condescending, but you have to realize that what is utterly clear to you, we have to derive from your words, statements, and then it may easily be misinterpreted because of the wording used. Add to that, that English is not my native tongue, and you may grasp that I had some difficulty understanding you. Sorry, and you adequately corrected the problem I had.

Since these captured clips were wrapped in a MOV file, you will be better off with re-wrapping them in an AVI wrapper. Look for converters on Google.

There will be two sizable benefits for you:

1. It can remove the Header error, and

2. It will allow you to use the 64 bit nature of CS5 instead of the 32 bit limitation of QuiRcktime MOV files.

QuiRcktime is the most troublesome wrapper ever invented and completely destroys the 64 bit nature of CS5. It forces you back to the CS4 era.

• 6. Re: Header error
                    jamesbtaylor3 Level 1

Ever do something and then realize that you look like a complete jerk after doing it.....yep.....that's what just happened. Sorry that I replied the way I did. Right before I read your post, I got some bad news about something totally unrelated. Thanks a lot for your help. I'll mark this as answered as soon as I try this suggestion.