playback problems

donnanup

Windows 7 professional 64 bit,

Gigabyte motherboard x58a-ud3r

Intel i7 920@2.67GHZ 4 core 8 logical

16 Gigs Ram

Gtx 285

Raid system two Hard drives 1 TB each

I just purchased a new Sony NX5U professional video camera and I have saved my AVCHD files in either 1080/60i or 1080/30p formats. When I playback the videos directly from my sony camcorder on my HD tv the videos are all absolutely perfect. When I playback them in Premiere one clip is jerky, another clip is jerky and also has an horizontal line which starts at the bottom and moves up slowly and another also flickers. So I do not confuse you I want to reiterate the fact that these videos are all stunning quality on both the camcorder and my Sony Bravia HD tv. I tried I believe all the possible easy solutions by changing the playback settings of both my video card and Adobe software with no results. I contacted Adobe and they want me to upload to them one of my troubled files. I really don't see the point since they all play fine at the source. I would really appreciate if anyone could tell me what to do. Thank you,  Umberto. 

• 1. Re: playback problems
          John T Smith Adobe Community Professional & MVP

2nd post for NEW ITEM pointer

http://forums.adobe.com/thread/770072?tstart=0 to be sure your settings match your video
          • 2. Re: playback problems
            Colin Brougham Level 6

Right-click on the Program Monitor, and to Playback Resolution; set it to Full.

• 3. Re: playback problems
              donnanup Level 1

Thank you for your help. I did try tochange the playback settings and I did match the sequence settings by dropping the file in the new item folder.

• 4. Re: playback problems
                Harm Millaard Level 7

Updating the video driver may help, as well as upgrading your disk setup.

• 5. Re: playback problems
                  Colin Brougham Level 6

Harm's suggestion of video card driver is good. I'd also check that you don't have something like ffdshow installed; historically, that bundle of encoders and decoders has been know to cause issues with Premiere. Usually, a little icon will appear in the system tray when a particular video file is being decoded by ffdshow. If you see that, that means that the built-in decoders are being given lower priority than the ffdshow decoders, and summarily, you can experience bad playback in Premiere.

• 6. Re: playback problems
                    donnanup Level 1

I did update my video card driver. It did not solve the problem. What do you mean by upgrading my disk setup? Also do you think I should reformat the drive and reinstall windows and premiere? One thing that I noticed. I am able to play a video smoothly in windows media center but only if I shoot it at 1080/30p. It will not play correctly in media player. In premiere nothing plays correctly. I uploaded one of my videos to Adobe support. I am curious to see what they come up with.

• 7. Re: playback problems
                      Harm Millaard Level 7
                      What do you mean by upgrading my disk setup?

Add at least one but better two 7200 RPM SATA disks, since you currently do not meet minimum requirements, which is a DEDICATED drive for editing. You effectively only have one drive now, even though it consists of two raided disks.

• 8. Re: playback problems
                        donnanup Level 1

Actually I have two drives. The first drive I made a partition of 100 gb for windows. So I have 900 Gb free on the first drive and then I have a second 1 TB drive dedicated to editing. I installed Premiere on the C drive. Should I install it on the second drive perhaps or it does not matter?

• 9. Re: playback problems
                          the_wine_snob Level 9

You might want to look at this ARTICLE on partitions.

Good luck,

Hunt

• 10. Re: playback problems
                            Andrey V Level 2

Did you try to change playback to hardware accelerated using video card cuda technology?

Have you noticed any raze in video card temperature?

Also you did not answer the question about installed codecs? Did you have any other codec packs installed?

I am using AVCHD on my i7 cpu and gtx470 video card and it plays back fine.

• 11. Re: playback problems
                              donnanup Level 1

yes to Q #1

no to Q #2

no to Q #3

no to Q #4

Thank you very much..

• 12. Re: playback problems
                                Jeff Bellune Adobe Community Professional

Copy the entire folder structure from your memory card to your editing hard drive, then use the Media Browser in Pr to import the AVCHD files.  Load a clip into the Source Monitor or add it to a matching sequence.  Does playback improve?

-Jeff

• 13. Re: playback problems
                                  donnanup Level 1

What do you mean for " entire folder structure". Here is what  I do. I copy the file from my memory card into my second hard drive and then I import it into premiere and after I render it I preview it in my preview window. Are you suggesting I should do something different? Thank you.

• 14. Re: playback problems
                                    donnanup Level 1

I am going to do something about the partition. I know it is not going t

o be easy because I have the operating system on it but I will definetely get rid of it somehow.

Thank you.

• 15. Re: playback problems
                                      the_wine_snob Level 9

There should be a folder structure, beyond just the media files. Copy the entire contents, folders and all, to your media HDD intact. Then, Import the media files, and PrPro will read the other necessary info.

Good luck,

Hunt

• 16. Re: playback problems
                                        the_wine_snob Level 9

I have not looked into any of the partition utilities in years, so products like the old Partition Magic, might not be around any more, or might not be able to handle the system HDD.

There are but a few good reasons for partitions nowadays, such as the "recovery partition," that some mfgrs. add, instead of shipping a recovery CD/DVD for the computer, or for some backup schemes. In the case of the former, those partitions are seldom, if ever, used, and are not really a concern here. Otherwise, partitions can cause issues, and especially with a video editing rig.

Good luck, and please update me, on what you find available now. My last experience was many, many years ago, when once Photoshop could only see a 4GB drive, or partition for Scratch Disks, and I moved to a newer vesrion, that could handle large discs better, so no need for partitions there. Just too long ago to be of any use today.

Hunt

• 17. Re: playback problems
                                          donnanup Level 1

I did copy the media file folder to the HDD. It did not work. I am going to reformat m

y hard drive. Eliminate the partition and start fresh. I will

let everyone know how it will go. Thank you to everyone.

• 18. Re: playback problems
                                            Magnus Allgurén Level 2

If your 900GB partition is empty, open disk manager, right click on the partition and select delete.

After that, right click on your windows partition and select extend, to make your windows partition the size you want it, or just make it the size of your drive.

Voila, drive is now just one partition! No need for third party applications anymore!

• 19. Re: playback problems
                                              donnanup Level 1

Magnus if this works you saved me many hours of work. Thank you.

• 20. Re: playback problems
                                                donnanup Level 1

Here I am still frustrated and still looking for

an answer to my problem. Here is the update. I modified my Hdd setup from raid to just two IDE  HDD of 1TB each. I have reinstalled Windows 7 clean install and of course I reinstalled Adobe CS5. Now when I playback my uneditedl files in my Adobe preview or source  window my 1080/60i files are just a little better than before but they are still jerking. My 1080/30p are bad. But the new thing is that Windows Media Player now plays my 1080/60i absolutely perfect but not the 1080/30p. I am trying to determine where the problem is and I have not been able to find it out. I need help.Tx

• 21. Re: playback problems
                                                  Jim_Simon Level 8

Let's go back a bit and check something.  Can you upload a problem clip of each type for users in the forum to check?  A site like YouTube or Vimeo won't do, as they modify the file.  We need an original.  Something like SendSpace, Megaupload, RapidShare, etc.

• 22. Re: playback problems
                                                    donnanup Level 1

Jim I shall do that and post the link. Thank you, Umberto.

• 23. Re: playback problems
                                                      donnanup Level 1

http://www.sendspace.com/file/hebekeSo here are the links to two files I have up

loaded. They are AVCHD unedited files 1080/30p. they were shot in a low light condition with the following settings

Auto shutter, 0 gain, auto white balance, aperture 1.6. I used a tripod. I focused on the microphone which was near field so all the rest is out of focus but I do not have a focusing problem. These files play correctly if I view them directly from my video camera to my HD tv.  Please let me know what you think. Thank you. Umberto.

http://www.sendspace.com/file/8hl9qc

• 24. Re: playback problems
                                                        Ann Bens Adobe Community Professional & MVP

Check the interprete footage: clips could be set to upper field instead of progressive.

• 25. Re: playback problems
                                                          donnanup Level 1

Could you please tell me in details how I check that? Tx

Umberto

• 26. Re: playback problems
                                                            the_wine_snob Level 9

Umberto,

In the Project Panel, Rt-click on your Asset, and choose Interpret Footage. Make any changes necessary. That should also update all Instances of that Asset.

Good luck,

Hunt

• 27. Re: playback problems
                                                              donnanup Level 1

could you please tell me in details how to check that?

Also were you able to playback the files on your computer? Did you notice any jerking or flickering or else?

• 28. Re: playback problems
                                                                Magnus Allgurén Level 2

Umberto,

I have downloaded and imported your files. They play back perfectly in both Windows Media Player and Premiere CS5 for me. I can see nothing out of the ordinary with these clips. I also tried playing them back with my Blackmagic card and it accepted them and played them back no problem!

I am sorry I can't help you more than letting you know the files themselves are fine!

Magnus

• 29. Re: playback problems
                                                                  donnanup Level 1

Magnus I have to conclude then that the problem is in

my computer. Do you think I need to upgrade something? How does

my system compare with yours? I would appreciate if you could give me your advice. Thank you, Umberto.

• 30. Re: playback problems
                                                                    Magnus Allgurén Level 2

My setup is quite similar to yours:

Windows 7 Ultimate x64
                                                                    Gigabyte EX58-Extreme

Intel i7 975, 3.33 GHz

24 GB Ram

Nvidia GTX285

4 x 1TB Hard Drives in RAID5

I am running Nvidia Forcware 260.99 for the GTX285.

Now, there is a slight jerkiness when playing back in the Premiere program monitor, but what is being output to my 1080p LED monitor it is smooth as butter. It doesn't seem to matter whether it is being output as an external desktop display from premiere or output as an external monitor through my Blackmagic Shuttle. Both hooked up through HDMI.

• 31. Re: playback problems
                                                                      donnanup Level 1

maybe then I should get an LED monitor. Could you give me the model of the one you have?

• 32. Re: playback problems
                                                                        Magnus Allgurén Level 2

Maybe it's a bit too soon to buy a new screen. We still don't know what the cause of the problem is. Would you be able to connect your Sony Bravia to your GTX285 to see if the video plays back properly onit as an external display?

If you can, then go to your sequence settings, select playback settings and then in the dropdown box for external device, select you Sony display.

When you play your sequence you should be able to see your footage fullscreen on the Bravia.

• 33. Re: playback problems
                                                                          donnanup Level 1

I will do that and I will let you know. Thank you for all your help.

• 34. Re: playback problems
                                                                            Ann Bens Adobe Community Professional & MVP

Premiere interpretes the clip on my machine as interlaced as MediaInfo states Progressive so

Right click on clip in Project Panel

Modify>Interprete Footage and set it to non fields of its set to upper.

field order.png

• 35. Re: playback problems
                                                                              Magnus Allgurén Level 2

That's what happens when I import 1080p files from my TM700, if they're dragged from Windows Explorer.

If I use the media browser from within Premiere and import directly from the AVCHD folder structure, Premiere interprets the files as progressive.

In this case the files are taken "out of their environment" so Premiere sees them as Upper Field first.

Umberto, did you try importing the files with the media browser within Premiere from their original folder structure?

• 36. Re: playback problems
                                                                                donnanup Level 1

When I import the files in Premiere I  always click on File> import> and then I choose the file on my HDD. Is it correct to do it this way?

• 37. Re: playback problems
                                                                                  JEShort01 Level 4

Umberto,

I'm new to this thread, but it does appear that you are chasing a hardware or configuration issue - your clip plays fine on my system. Also, your hardware specification does seem strong enough to simply play back your clips!

1) Question - have you tried Sequence / Render Entire Work Area?

2) New idea - run the PPBM5 benchmark test and report back here with how your system is performing (see www.ppbm5.com); this benchmark is really good at flushing out the various areas of performance on your PC (disk i/o, timeline render, and DVD/blu-ray creation). It seems that you may have something in your system that it now working up to par, but it also seems like it may be difficult to isolate.

Jim

• 38. Re: playback problems
                                                                                    Magnus Allgurén Level 2

With my camera, Panasonic TM700k, the only way for me to get Premiere to interpret the footage correctly is to copy the total media card onto the hard drive with folders and everything. So for instance, for me to get to my footage I have to use Premiere's media browser and browse through the following folders: [FOLDER ON HDD]\PRIVATE\AVCHD. Then I drag the clips up to my Projects window and they show up as 1080p60 which is the format I shoot in. If I were to go File/Import the files would be interpreted as 1080i30 upper field first. I think there is metadata in the original folder structure that tells Premiere the format of the files.

• 39. Re: playback problems
                                                                                      Jim_Simon Level 8

I always click on File> import> and then I choose the file on my HDD. Is it correct to do it this way?

It's not necessarily incorrect, but you may have better results in general with tapeless media if you use the Media Browser to import all your footage.

1 2 Previous Next