18 Replies Latest reply on Feb 28, 2011 8:48 AM by matthew max

Can I revert a video project to 4.0 after I have saved it in 9.0?

matthew max Level 1

I need to recover several 4.0 video projects that I saved in 9.0.  They won't open in 4.0 now.  Can I revert them to 4.0?

• 1. Re: Can I revert a video project to 4.0 after I have saved it in 9.0?
          Steve Grisetti Adobe Community Professional

Nope. This is one of the reasons I recommend in my books NEVER opening an old version project with a new version of the program. (That and the fact that it tends to corrupt the old version project and cause buggy behavior.)

• 2. Re: Can I revert a video project to 4.0 after I have saved it in 9.0?
            matthew max Level 1

Steve, thanks for that information.  You KNOW I didn't want to hear it, but I needed to know.

• 3. Re: Can I revert a video project to 4.0 after I have saved it in 9.0?
              the_wine_snob Level 9

The best that one can do is either edit very tightly in PrE 9.0 and then Export/Share to an intermediate file, say DV-AVI for SD material, and Import that into a new PrE 4.0 Project. The other option is to edit very loosely, and do the same.

Often, there is fair backward compatibility, say a simple PrE 4.0 Project into PrE 9.0 (warning: does not always work without issues), but there has never been foreward compatibility between versions, i.e. PrE 9.0 Projects will not Open in earlier versions.

Steve's advice to finish in the version, in which the Project was started, is the fail-safe method, even with backward compatibility.

Good luck,

Hunt

1 person found this helpful
              • 4. Re: Can I revert a video project to 4.0 after I have saved it in 9.0?
                matthew max Level 1

(These postings and email notifications are out of synch today, so the thread is kinda weird-looking on this end.) Hunt, your comments are making me lean toward believing that there's not a lot of obvious or even useful logic behind why 9.0 cannot do everything 4.0 does.  I would have to discuss this in an engineers' forum, I suppose, to satisfy my curiosity.  The same exact footage that has combing in it in PrE 9.0 does not have lines in PrE 4.0...at least the file types that 4.0 recognizes.  I guess that is more than just a curious thing.  There might be a solution. Running a two-step process seems like the last thing we'd want to do if we're doing high-volume video production to flash and wmv.  We never had to do that with 4.0.  This makes my mind wobble.  This is not logical.  But maybe the conclusion is that upgrades sometimes have to come with downgraded capabilities.

• 5. Re: Can I revert a video project to 4.0 after I have saved it in 9.0?
                  the_wine_snob Level 9

Yes, the forum has been acting up for going on two weeks. Posts show, then disappear, and might well show back up. Reply counts are wonky, and I am having to log-in with about every other post, plus things are very slow. See this THREAD.

As for what has changed, under the hood, between PrE 4.0 and PrE 9.0, not sure that any of us here could be of much help. Most of the articles on changes are relative to new features, locations for some older ones, changes in a few process names (all done with Share now, where Export handled some in the past), and the like. When it comes to processing algorithms, and any changes there, we are all rather uninformed.

We have been blessed with a slight Adobe presence here, so maybe one of those valued Adobe employees will drop by, and can comment. Otherwise, it's just some observations of things that appear to have changed. The "why" and "how" are a mystery, at least to me.

Good luck,

Hunt

1 person found this helpful
                  • 6. Re: Can I revert a video project to 4.0 after I have saved it in 9.0?
                    matthew max Level 1

So, Hunt, do you mean that you prefer to work with avi from the outset in order to avoid the limitations of compression that come with the other file types in prosumer footage?

• 7. Re: Can I revert a video project to 4.0 after I have saved it in 9.0?
                      the_wine_snob Level 9

Matthew,

You are correct. To date, all of my Projects have been SD, and going to DVD-Video, so I am starting with DV-AVI during Capture from miniDV tape, or I will be converting to DV-AVI Type II files w/ 48KHz 16-bit PCM/WAV Audio. For SD, that is the ultimate format/CODEC for PrE (and PrPro too). This allows me to edit as smoothly, as is possible.

Most NLE programs (Windows Movie Maker is an exception) work best with DV-AVI Type II files, though some do handle other formats/CODEC's better, than others do. I find, that by feeding the program exactly what it wants, is always the best workflow. When a program can edit footage natively, without any internal conversions, or processing, everything goes wonderfully smoothly, with the lowest load on the computer.

To add to that, I author DVD's in Encore, and feed it the ultimate files, either DV-AVI Type II's, or 100% DVD-compliant MPEG-2 files with elemental streams, i.e. one Video-only and one Audio-only file (48KHz 16-bit PCM/WAV, or DD AC3). Never had a problem. The same would hold if I was using Sony's DVD Architect, where I would feed it the 100% DVD-compliant MPEG-2's. The less processing any program, whether an NLE, or authoring program, has to do, the better. Some try to force the programs to work with all sorts of "stuff," and problems can arise. It might be just an extra processing load, or something more intense. Problems can, and do, arise.

It's like hitting the ball in the "sweet spot" of a tennis racquet, or golf club. You get a great hit. If you hit near the frame, or near the toe, or hozel, of a golf club, you will advance the ball, but maybe not where you want it to land. The DV-AVI Type II is the "sweet spot."

Good luck, and hope that helps,

Hunt

• 8. Re: Can I revert a video project to 4.0 after I have saved it in 9.0?
                        matthew max Level 1

Then, if I switch my Sony XR550V to shoot standard definition, what will the file type actually be?

• 9. Re: Can I revert a video project to 4.0 after I have saved it in 9.0?
                          the_wine_snob Level 9

Matthew,

I cannot tell you, but the manual should offer some insight on exactly how/what your camera outputs with each setting. If not, maybe there is info on the Sony site, or on a forum there. Baring that, Sony T/S should be able to give the exact info that you need.

Good luck,

Hunt

• 10. Re: Can I revert a video project to 4.0 after I have saved it in 9.0?
                            matthew max Level 1

I should have asked, if I change the setting on the video camera to standard definition, there's still no way to use that camera to shoot dv avi, right?  I mean, you're saying that avi is out of style on the consumer level.  Right?

• 11. Re: Can I revert a video project to 4.0 after I have saved it in 9.0?

Not by any means! At least not as long as more people have DVD players than BluRay players.

However, since your camcorder does not shoot tape-based video, we can't guarantee it will shoot in standard DV-AVI format. That's one of the dangers with these multi-format cams.

You can tell by opening a Premiere Elements project using the DV project settings. Add one of your standard def clips. If there is a red line above the clip on your timeline, your video will not be a good fit for the program.

• 12. Re: Can I revert a video project to 4.0 after I have saved it in 9.0?
                                matthew max Level 1

I understand what you're saying.  I was trying to see if there was anything that hidden in the achvd or mpeg file readings in PreE that I was missing.  But now I understand you and Hunt to be saying that I simply cannot shoot dv avi unless I have a less "friendly" camera, so to speak.  Tape-based recording is very slow to upload, for instance.

• 13. Re: Can I revert a video project to 4.0 after I have saved it in 9.0?

That's a whole other discussion, Matthew. But, for most of us veterans who edit on home computers, tape-based miniDV and HDV are our favorite formats for shooting and editing by a country mile.

I'm not going to go into it here, but my books include a section on it if you're interested.

• 14. Re: Can I revert a video project to 4.0 after I have saved it in 9.0?
                                    matthew max Level 1

Actually, you answered what I was wondering about dv av and mpeg.  I'm interested in your books or website and what you recommend along that line for getting the most info and support, etc. throughout a year, or where I would write you to ask those questions.

• 15. Re: Can I revert a video project to 4.0 after I have saved it in 9.0?

Have a look here, Matthew. We'd love to have you join our community! It costs nothing to join the community forum, and most of your questions can be answered there.

http://Muvipix.com/pe9.php

• 16. Re: Can I revert a video project to 4.0 after I have saved it in 9.0?
                                        matthew max Level 1

What a great answer, Hunt.  I go back and reread it, among others, absorbing the wisdom a little more each time.  It helps me understand almost everything Steve says.  A huge thank you.

• 17. Re: Can I revert a video project to 4.0 after I have saved it in 9.0?
                                          the_wine_snob Level 9

Matthew,

You are most welcome, and I am glad that it helped. Sometimes, saying the same thing, but in a different way, will be helpful.

I had two tennis coaches once, and one could tailor the instructions for different players to understand. The other, while a world-ranked junior player, and much better at the sport, than the other, could only give the same instructions to every student - he never varired his approach, and just repeated the same thing, over and over. Besides the tennis lessons, I also picked up a few tips on teaching, along the way.

I strongly second Steve's suggetions for Muvipix.com. When I first came here, I saw the recs. for that site, and wondered what that was about. After a bit of reading every article here, I went to Muvipix, and spent a whole day, just reading. I learned so much about this program, from the two sites, and immediately joined Muvipix. Lately, I have been spending far more time in the Adobe fora, and have not spent as much on Muvipix, but hope that my Spring, I can get back over there, and start to contribute again. Still, there is great activity there, and while Adobe programs are in the majority, there are users, who have many different programs, but all are focused on one goal - the best videos and slideshows that they can produce. Just great people, and a wealth of knowledge. Here, we are obviously focused on Adobe products, being an Adobe forum, so some of the general discussions do not apply so much. There, the discussion is much, much broader, with more perspectives to learn from.

Good luck, and I'll see you on Muvipix,

Hunt

• 18. Re: Can I revert a video project to 4.0 after I have saved it in 9.0?
                                            matthew max Level 1

I joined Muvipix.com immediately after you and Steve helped me on this forum, and I have been so happy, for the reasons you stated.