7 Replies Latest reply on Feb 22, 2011 11:31 PM by LensView

Mike's Framer & CS5

LensView Level 1

Hi!

Anybody using Mike's Framer script on Photoshop CS5? It worked perfectly on both my PCs until I uninstalled CS4 ...

Any ideas?

• 1. Re: Mike's Framer & CS5
          Muppet Mark-QAl63s Level 4

Well, I had never heard of this one before… And as the forum's 'Mike' has not stepped forward… I googled… Looks like it was never developed past CS3 and was PC only as the UI was done in VB. I only had a quick look out of curiosity… But it does not look promising…

• 2. Re: Mike's Framer & CS5
            JJMack Most Valuable Participant

I did a google search and that one looks like it had quite a few option and a complex dialog. I can not seem to find a download for it.  There are others out there here is a link to one for creating Web sized framed images. http://www.joecolsonphotography.com/wordpress/2011/01/29/frameshop-a-framing-script-for-ad obe-photoshop

It is also quite easy to create actions for frameing and matting images.  I have created (warnning a large download) a package of actions and scripts to help you visualize how your Print Sized images will look frammed. With the actions and script in my Image Visualization Package  you can add layers to you images that will look like photo realistic mats and frames. Examples http://mouseprints.net/old/dpr/Examples/ If you have a large format printer you could even print out a proof of concept copy print with the simulates mats and frame.

• 3. Re: Mike's Framer & CS5
              LensView Level 1

Thanks for your help, Mark and JJ.

I have used this tool for years and it did exactly what I needed. Even allowed to save presets. Really a great script. Though not developed anymore (I knew that the author has "disappeared", that's why I'm looking for other users who might be able to help) it did the job as needed and even had a batch mode.

JJ, I'm having a look at your package, but I'd largely prefer to havemy old tool working again. As I said, it was working fine in CS4 and CS5 ... until I uninstalled CS4. Maybe it used something that was still installed with CS4 but not CS5 and as long as both were installed, it worked in both.

• 4. Re: Mike's Framer & CS5
                LensView Level 1

John, just in case, would it be difficult (for myself, I'm an IT man who occasionally programs in vb, vbscript and powershell) to change the sizes to metric values we use here in Europe?

• 5. Re: Mike's Framer & CS5
                  JJMack Most Valuable Participant

LensView wrote:

JJ, I'm having a look at your package, but I'd largely prefer to havemy old tool working again. As I said, it was working fine in CS4 and CS5 ... until I uninstalled CS4. Maybe it used something that was still installed with CS4 but not CS5 and as long as both were installed, it worked in both.

If it was working is CS5 you should be able to get it to work again. In the Past I have had problems after using Adobe's un-install to remove an older version of Photoshop.  It removed some registry entries that were needed for the newer version and thing like droplets stopped working.  To resolve the problem I had to remove all Adobe Software clean the registry and reinstall all the versions of Photoshop I had installed to get thing working again.  I then just wiped out older versions of Photoshop install trees and left the Common tree and Registry intact.   These days that is the only way I remove old versions of Photoshop Adobe's support is so bad I hate to have to deal with them. 

As for my scripts and actions for things like adding mats I put the user in control in a interactive Canvas size and sometimes  frames also. If you want to use metric units Photoshop knows do so.  Some frames are one of two fixed Pixel width sizes some where  near 360 pixels which I thought would be OK for print size images for the Frames are made using patterns some else made available on the web.

To get that old framming script working again try  installing the framing script and any additional files into your current CS5 setup.  If it is a freeware package send me a copy can't promise anything I do not know VSB and only hack some at javascript in Photoshop I never took the time to try to teach myself Javascript I retired when Object Programming was becoming the popular rage.  I understand the older we get the less we want to change  things.

• 7. Re: Mike's Framer & CS5
                    LensView Level 1

That last link showed the solution, John!

Jeff Kohn's remark about copying the style was the missing part. No idea how the script found it in the CS4 folder tree when it was running in CS5, though.

Many thanks for your help. I'm glad to have my baby back ;-)