3 Replies Latest reply on Feb 22, 2011 3:01 PM by schnugums

Adobe DNG Converter can't recognize any files

schnugums

Hi All!

I'm new here and would very  much appreciate help.

I am running a Mac OS X 10.04.11 and would  like to open .CR2 files (native file from my Canon 500D) in PS4      / Bridge  CS4. My problem is that although I have downloaded the Adobe DNG Converter and Camera Raw 5.1  update as described  here: http://www.adobe.com/support/downloads/detail.jsp?ftpID=4057,  the DNG Converter can't recognise any files at  all (they are greyed-out  when I go to select any folder). I also followed these steps from the aforementioned link (well at  least I hope I did it right, I found the reference to step 4 slightly  confusing):

//////////////////////////////////////////

To install with Adobe Creative  Suite 4 or Photoshop CS4:

Automated installation on Mac or Windows®:

1. Select "Updates..." from the Help menu

2. Follow the on-screen dialogs to download and  install the latest  available Camera Raw update  

Manual installation on Mac:

1. Exit Photoshop CS4 and Adobe Bridge.

2. Open the Finder.   
      3. Navigate to the root of the local disk (not the user's home  folder).   
      4. Navigate to: (Please read directory carefully)

Library/Application Support/Adobe/Plug-Ins/CS4/File Formats

5. Move the existing plug-in to another location (for example, a new  folder on your desktop). Ensure you keep this version in case you need  to revert back.

6. Copy the Camera Raw plug-in, Camera Raw, from the download  into the same folder as in Step 4.   
      7. Launch Photoshop CS4 or Adobe Bridge.   

//////////////////////////////////////////

Is that version the right one for CS4?

Only Finder and the Canon Software can preview my .CR2  files, Photoshop still gives the message: "Could   not complete  your request because Photoshop does not recognise this  type of file." and   Bridge only shows me a generic RAW thumbnail. This message also  appears in PS when I double-click on the  Camera-RAW.plugin. I also  restarted my computer,  but that didn't fix it.

Can  anyone help me out please? I'd urgently need a solution.

Thanks in advance!

• 1. Re: Adobe DNG Converter can't recognize any files
          JimHess-ra2Osl Level 3

The instructions you are referring to (number four) are for installing the Camera Raw plug-in, not the DNG converter.  The DNG converter is a separate, independent program used for converting your raw images to DNG copies.  I'm not sure what version was the first one to support your camera.  But you should download and use the latest DNG converter (currently version 6.3) to convert your CR2 files to DNG.  Then you should be able to open those DNG files in Photoshop/Camera Raw.

• 2. Re: Adobe DNG Converter can't recognize any files
            schnugums Level 1

I now uninstalled the older 5.1 version and  instead installed the DNG Converter 6.3 separately and it works  perfectly.

About the Camera Raw 5.6 update: I also downloaded the plug-in  (which I think should be the last version CS4 supports) and can now open  my .CR2 files in PS, Bridge previews them too. :-)

Is it advisable to keep both, .CR2 as well as .DNG files? Why is it  that my .DNG files are lighter than the native .CR2?

Thanks again!

• 3. Re: Adobe DNG Converter can't recognize any files
              JimHess-ra2Osl Level 3

It would be my recommendation to keep your original CR2 files.  You may want to open some of them in DPP for one reason or another.  In that case the DNG files would be useless.  I have no idea why the DNG files are lighter.  Unless you are applying some sort of preset, everything should be the same.

1 person found this helpful