3 Replies Latest reply on Feb 22, 2011 9:53 AM by the_wine_snob

AVI clip blackened/choppy when brought into Elements

borneoguy Level 1

Hey All,

I'm running APE4 and trying to import CamStudio AVI screen recordings into my project.  The AVIs were recorded at high quality (specs/codecs below) and appear crystal clear when played in any video player.  When brought into APE4, however, the video clip is mostly blacked (screenshot below) and choppy. 

Can somebody please help?  A significant portion of my project needs to be these AVIs! 

(recorded with CamStudio Lossless Codec v1.4, keyframes every 30 frames, capturing every 20ms, playback 50 frames/s)
      screenshot.JPG

• 1. Re: AVI clip blackened/choppy when brought into Elements
          the_wine_snob Level 9

For Camtasia, or CamStudio material, this ARTICLE might give you some tips. There are links there, and when you follow those, be sure to read ALL replies from Jeff Bellune.

Good luck,

Hunt

• 2. Re: AVI clip blackened/choppy when brought into Elements
            borneoguy Level 1

Thanks, Bill.  I read through all of Jeff's replies, as well as that article.

Using VirtualDub, I can produce a different copy of my AVI (using Lagarith codec) that again appears crystal clear outside of Premiere Elements (version 4 in my case, but I'm trying to get 8 or 9 right now).   Still, as soon as I bring any AVI in - including this new, also crystal clear one - it ends up looking like junk when PrE gets a hold on it.  In this case, VirtualDub eliminates the blackening of the screen, but the resolution is terrible.

Can anyone help me out?  Just trying to get a clear AVI into (and then exported from) Premiere Elements.  This seems like it should be a simple task!!

• 3. Re: AVI clip blackened/choppy when brought into Elements
              the_wine_snob Level 9

I do not use Camtasia footage, but hope to do so, when I upgrade computers and install PrPro CS5 (to produce tutorials), but that does not help here.

I would also post to the Muvipix forum, as several subscribers to that forum also produce video tutorials, and might have much more to offer. Also, as they are on PrE, or older PrPro versions, the issue with the 64-bit TechSmith CODEC's will not come up. That is only a problem with PrPro CS5.

Good luck, and wish that I had more to offer. If you do find some good discussions, please let me know, and I will link to those in that Tips & Tricks article, to help others in the future.

Hunt

1 person found this helpful