6 Replies Latest reply on Feb 22, 2011 10:51 AM by the_wine_snob

Will either of these graphics cards work with PrE 9?

baldchimp

Hi,

I occasionally notice people having problems with Nvidia, which is a little off putting, I was thinking about getting the following cards, can anyone tell me if they think they will be OK?

Zotak Nvidia Geforce 210 PCI-E synergy edition 512MB graphics card

http://www.pcworld.co.uk/gbuk/zotac-nvidia-geforce-210-pci-e-synergy-edition-graphics-card -512mb-04810368-pdt.html

Or

Saphire ATI Radeon HD 4350 PCI-E graphics card

http://www.pcworld.co.uk/gbuk/sapphire-ati-radeon-hd-4350-pci-e-graphics-card-03758021-pdt .html

Many thanks,

Baldchimp

• 1. Re: Will either of these graphics cards work with PrE 9?
          the_wine_snob Level 9

Welcome to the forum.

Either card should be just fine. All recent nVidia, or ATI/AMD cards should work well. Just make sure to keep the video driver updated on either. Both nVidia and ATI are great at releasing new drivers.

The only possible consideration would be if Adobe adds the Mercury Playback Engine, MPE, like they did with PrPro. The MPE requires the CUDA functionality of certain nVidia cards for the ultimate use. So far, nothing for ATI, which uses OpenCL instead of CUDA. Now, that is ONLY if Adobe adds MPE to PrE, and I do not think that is all that likely, given the price differences between the two programs, but we just do not know what Adobe might be planning.

Good luck,

Hunt

1 person found this helpful
          • 2. Re: Will either of these graphics cards work with PrE 9?
            baldchimp Level 1

Great news, very informative!

Thanks a lot..

• 3. Re: Will either of these graphics cards work with PrE 9?
              Ed.Macke Level 3

Hey Hunt, I wanted to add on to your "...certain nVidia cards..." comment by

saying "certain" is a very important caveat!

According to http://www.adobe.com/products/premiere/performance, the only

Mercury Playback Engine-supported GeForce cards (a.k.a. "Those Affordable By

Us Mere Mortals") are the GTX 285 and GTX 470. In other words, while all of

the MPE-supported cards are CUDA, not all CUDA cards are MPE-supported.

Just wanted to clarify because the O.P.'s card is a good example of this:

the GeForce 210 supports CUDA, but as of now it's not on Adobe's list of

officially supported MPE cards.

• 4. Re: Will either of these graphics cards work with PrE 9?
                the_wine_snob Level 9

Ed,

You are correct. However, many nVidia users have been able to "hack" the MPE INI file, to get full support for other cards, that are not on the "Certified" list. Those particular cards have been extensively tested, and "approved." With but a little TXT editing, other cards also fill the bill. Not sure which cards Adobe is working to certify right now, but would expect to see more of the newer ones making that list - until then, the hack seems to work fine. One additional caveat: when one applies the hack to their file, and then updates the card's driver, they have to re-edit that file. No biggie, but something for a user to remember.

I still doubt that Adobe will introduce MPE for PrE, so it could all be moot in that context - then any current nVidia, or ATI would be a good choice.

Hunt

PS - my heart broke when nVidia announced that there would be no CUDA for my wonderful Quadro FX 4500, though they did retrofit many lesser Quadros, and of course, the newer Quadros. Mine fell through a crack in the floor...

• 5. Re: Will either of these graphics cards work with PrE 9?
                  Ed.Macke Level 3
                  However, many nVidia users have been able to "hack" the MPE INI file, to get full support for other cards, that are not on the "Certified" list.

Yeah, I had read that, too. But, me? I'm just not that adventurous, especially given the price point of even the "cheap" cards. I seem to have enough problems getting things to work when they're supposed to work together

I still doubt that Adobe will introduce MPE for PrE, so it could all be moot in that context

Yeah, the MPE definitely seems "high-end". I can't imagine a $100 consumer program supporting a $2,000 video card. Although it'd sure be nice if it did!

Mine fell through a crack in the floor...

Heh, that seems like MY kind of luck!

• 6. Re: Will either of these graphics cards work with PrE 9?
                    the_wine_snob Level 9

Ed,

The hack only tells PrPro to use a particular nVidia card, that has not been certified yet, and so does not appear on the "list." This allows many more nVidia cards to work perfectly with MPE. As Adobe is able to certify more cards, the database in that file will expand. Until then, users can accommodate those cards. I hope that the list expands greatly, as it would be nicer to not have to alter any files, and just plug-n-play.

Hunt