4 Replies Latest reply on Feb 23, 2011 10:17 AM by Scott Chichelli

What is the best Hard Disk Configuration?

MalkMeyer

Hi all!

I've been reading the forum for some time, and now I decided to build my new PC for editing.

I will use it with Premiere and After Effects CS5.

The hardware I am going to buy is listed below:

- Processor Intel Core i7-2600K

- Mother Board ASUS SABERTOOTH P67 (or the ASUS P8P67 Deluxe... I didn't decide it yet)

- 2 Hard Disks WD Caviar Black 1TB SATA III (6Gb/s) 7200RPM [for working media and exports]

- 1 Hard Disk Seagate Barracuda 500GB SATA II (3Gb/s) 7200RPM [for OS and Programs]

- SDRAM DDR3 Corsair 8GB (2 x 4GB) 1866MHz (PC3 15000)

- Video card ATI Radeon 5850 1024MB (later I'll buy another and CrossFire them)

- Pioneer Internal Blu-ray Disc/DVD/CD Writer BDR-206

I also have a eSata Docking Station and other slower HDDs for Backups and "Old Projects Library".

--

So, my question is simple: what is the best way to use my HDDs, to get the best performance on Premiere and After Effects?

A) OS, Programs, PageFile and Media Cache on the Seagate HDD + Media, Projects, Previews and Exports on the WD HDDs working on RAID0; or

B) OS, Programs and PageFile on the Seagate HDD + Media and Projects on one WD HDD + Previews, Media Cache and Exports on the second WD HDD?

Thanks a lot!

Thiago

(-:

Ps.: My next upgrade will be another 8GB for RAM and another 2 WD Caviar Black HDDs, as soon as I make some money with that machine... xD

• 1. Re: What is the best Hard Disk Configuration?
          Harm Millaard Level 7

My preference would be option B, but the difference is marginal, because this system is hampered by the ATI card anyway, and using crossfire will not help at all. Your best bet to improve performance is to get 16 GB memory and use a nVidia GTX 460+ card.

• 2. Re: What is the best Hard Disk Configuration?
            Scott Chichelli Level 3

+1 on all Harm said

Scott

ADK

• 3. Re: What is the best Hard Disk Configuration?
              MalkMeyer Level 1

Hey Harm, thanks for the response.

First of all, I did choose the ATI GPU because of the benchmarks I saw on internet, BUT i didn't know about the CUDA Acceleration Technology. So, I will probably buy a nVidia GTX460, since it is at the same price level, but seems to have a better performance with Premiere and AfterEffects. =)

But the question is about HDDs, so let's get to it.

I read in the forum that it doesn't make a big difference to have RAID 0 HDDs or even use the SATA III drives foe video editing, because the system doesn't even use the whole bandwith of the SATA II technology.

But, in another question, I read that it depends on the type of files you are working with. I have a Canon 550D, so it records in 330MB/min (about 45MB/s) in 1080/24p, using the h.264 codec (in *.mov files). Those are the files I will edit and I want to burn Blu-Ray disks with my movies.

That said, my doubts are:

A) Should I invest on SATA III disks for better performance? Will I take any advantage of the 6Gb/s bandwidth, or the only difference will be the 64MB cache?

B) Is it better to have a faster C: drive?

I am asking that to get a better use of my investment. If the SATA III disks won't give me any difference on performance, I could get some SATA II disks and then use that money to buy more RAM - or faster RAM, like 2000MHz.

Thanks again!!!

Thiago

(-:

• 4. Re: What is the best Hard Disk Configuration?
                Scott Chichelli Level 3

if buying new you would want the WD Black with 64 meg cache sata 600 (or other 64meg cache)

while they wont be any faster now  (300 vs 600) the added cache is nice

the next gen of sata controller may allow for faster speeds. (take advantage of Sata 600)

increasing C drive speeds is pointless

ram past 1600 is also pointless

your speed increase will come from raid 0 sets

Scott

ADK