8 Replies Latest reply on Feb 22, 2011 2:51 PM by the_wine_snob

How to get clear AVI screen caps into/out of PrE4 (?) Please help

borneoguy Level 1

I have crystal clear AVI screen capture files for a tutorial-type video to be loaded onto YouTube.

No matter WHAT I do, PrE4 takes these crystal clear AVIs, and makes them look like complete crap (i.e., VERY poor resolution).

Can someone please help?  My whole project was supposed to be AVIs!   Seems like it should be such a simple task.

• 1. Re: How to get clear AVI screen caps into/out of PrE4 (?) Please help
          borneoguy Level 1

As a point of clarification, I know what all the proper output settings are for PrE4 to get HD video up onto YouTube. That is not the issue.

The AVIs appear messed up in PrE4 as soon as they are brought into a project and previewed.  Very poor resolution, sometimes blackened pieces of the screen depending on the codec.  

• 2. Re: How to get clear AVI screen caps into/out of PrE4 (?) Please help
            the_wine_snob Level 9

Can you give us the complete specs.of those AVI files. The term, AVI, is but a wrapper, and almost anything can be inside. This ARTICLE will give you much more background.

Also, matching the Project's Preset to the source footage, 100%, is very critical to eliminate problems. What Project Preset are you using?

Good luck,

Hunt

• 3. Re: How to get clear AVI screen caps into/out of PrE4 (?) Please help
              borneoguy Level 1

the_wine_snob wrote:

Can you give us the complete specs.of those AVI files. The term, AVI, is but a wrapper, and almost anything can be inside. This ARTICLE will give you much more background.

Also, matching the Project's Preset to the source footage, 100%, is very critical to eliminate problems. What Project Preset are you using?

Good luck,

Hunt

AVI files were produced in CamStudio 2.0 using the CamStudio Lossless Codec v1.4.  Keyframes: 30 frames, Capture frames every 20 ms, Playback 50 frames/sec.  These were the specs advised by tutorial maker after tutorial maker on YouTube (works for them, why not me, right?)

Project Preset:  HDV, 720p, also as advised by tutorial makers.

Potential problem:  I will have different sources for "footage,"  (i.e., my Sony DVD Handycam, these CamStudio recordings, other AVIs, etc).  Can I not use things from different sources?  I hope to God there is a setting for to let me, otherwise my ideas are squashed

• 4. Re: How to get clear AVI screen caps into/out of PrE4 (?) Please help
                the_wine_snob Level 9

Well, you will have to ask those "tutorial makers," how they get things to work.

As for mixing sources, one is always better off to convert to a common format/CODEC, with like specs. Otherwise, issues will very likely arrise.

Even PrPro has issues with mixed sources on the same Timeline. The way around that is to use separate Sequences (think mini-Projects in a single Project), and then to either Export to a common format and Import, or perhaps to Nest the Sequences. PrE does not have Sequences, so no Nesting either. When dealing with mixed Assets, I just convert everything to a good, common format/CODEC, before I Import.

Good luck,

Hunt

• 5. Re: How to get clear AVI screen caps into/out of PrE4 (?) Please help
                  borneoguy Level 1

I'm finally having some luck.  I brought my AVIs shot with CamStudio Lossless Codec into VirtualDub.  I then re-saved as an AVI using the TechSmith Codec.  I then brought that into PrE4 and it worked much better.  Phew!

As for mixing sources, one is always better off to convert to a common format/CODEC, with like specs. Otherwise, issues will very likely arrise.

Even PrPro has issues with mixed sources on the same Timeline. When dealing with mixed Assets, I just convert everything to a good, common format/CODEC, before I Import.

I think I will be dealing with a mix of AVIs and .VOBs from my Sony Handicam.  Would you recommend a particular common format/CODEC? The .VOB seemed to come in fine as is, but from what I'm hearing you say, I should change everything into the same format.

Thanks for your help, I really appreciate it!

• 6. Re: How to get clear AVI screen caps into/out of PrE4 (?) Please help
                    the_wine_snob Level 9

The starting question would be, what is in the AVI wrapper? If DV-AVI, then I would base things on those files, as they are "as good as it gets" with PrE. Then, you have a couple of similar choices with the MPEG-2's. You can Import those into an HDD Camera Project, edit, and then Export/Share to DV-AVI, or you can convert outside of PrE. I use the second method, as my conversion program will do batch conversions. I load it up, check my settings, and hit Convert. After I get a cup of coffee, and take a few sips, the DV-AVI files are ready for me. Note: neither way will recover the data lost with the MPEG-2 compression. Those data are lost and gone forever.

Good luck, and glad that things are getting better with the Camtasia footage.

Hunt

• 7. Re: How to get clear AVI screen caps into/out of PrE4 (?) Please help
                      borneoguy Level 1

the_wine_snob wrote:

I use the second method, as my conversion program will do batch conversions. I load it up, check my settings, and hit Convert.

What are you using for a conversion program?  Thanks for all your help so far.  I'm glad the Camtasia stuff worked out finally, too.

After I get a cup of coffee, and take a few sips, the DV-AVI files are ready for me.

Mmmm, coffee....

• 8. Re: How to get clear AVI screen caps into/out of PrE4 (?) Please help
                        the_wine_snob Level 9

I use an older shareware program, DigitalMedia Converter 2.7 by Deskshare. They have newer versions available now, but I have not upgraded/updated yet, as my version does all that I need - so far.

There are others, that get high marks here, like Prism, which is freeware. Do not know about its batch capabilities, but think that it can handle that too. I know that other conversion programs can, but have been so satisfied with mine, that I have not studied most others.

One thing that I am big on, is that the conversion program should work exclusively with CODEC's installed on the system, and NOT include its own CODEC's. That is a bit hard to find info on, but DigitalMedia Converter 2.7 ships with and installs zero CODEC's. Some other conversion programs have their own, and some will even install theirs, overwriting existing, perfectly good, commercial CODEC's. I do not like that, and do nto trust that. Maybe I am just paranoid, but have done troubleshooting on so many systems, where good CODEC's were destroyed by hacked, reverse-engineered versions. I paid good $ for most of my CODEC's, so do not wish to loose those. The only free CODEC's that I have are ones where there is no commercial version, i.e. they are all free and no commercial option exists.

Good luck,

Hunt