11 Replies Latest reply on Feb 24, 2011 4:21 PM by Ted Smith

Why does Premiere Elements 9 keep crashing during basic editing?

arossp80 Level 1

Recently purchased Premiere Elements 9 to do some reasonably simple editing combining videos and photographs. After about 2mins to 10mins of using the software it unexpectedly crashes for no apparent reason. I have only ever had 2 or 3 layers in the video and often when I go to view a preview (but not exclusive to this) it shuts down. Sometimes its when I am manipulating text or trying to add effects. I'm using a brand new iMac and the only other programmes I am running concurrently are Safari and Photoshop although I have tried it with no other programmes running and it still happens. I've added details below of the processor and graphics card I am running to see if there are clues there. I get an error report but its a bit large to paste here although if anyone wants to take a look it would be much appreciated!

Model Identifier: iMac11,2

Processor Name: Intel Core i3

Processor Speed: 3.2 GHz

Number Of Processors: 1

Total Number Of Cores: 2

L2 Cache (per core): 256 KB

L3 Cache: 4 MB

Memory: 4 GB

Chipset Model: ATI Radeon HD 5670

Type: GPU

Bus: PCIe

PCIe Lane Width: x16

VRAM (Total): 512 MB

Vendor: ATI (0x1002)

Device ID: 0x68c0

Revision ID: 0x0000

ROM Revision: 113-B9850H-133

EFI Driver Version: 01.00.416

Any help or thoughts would be much appreciated.

• 1. Re: Why does Premiere Elements 9 keep crashing during basic editing?
          the_wine_snob Level 9

What are the pixel x pixel dimensions of those still images? Overly-large stills require a great deal of computing horsepower.

Also, when editing, it is wise to eliminate all other non-essential processes and programs.

Good luck,

Hunt

• 2. Re: Why does Premiere Elements 9 keep crashing during basic editing?
            arossp80 Level 1

The images are around 25cm x 40cm at 300dpi which is around 3000 x 4500 pixels. Although they are fairly high resolution the file sizes are only around 10-12Mb though compared to 50-60Mb of some of the video files. Even with just one image and a title in the project it still shuts down. Trouble is when I reduce the image dpi and combine with video footage the quality of the images on screen is really blurry and pixelated. I copied a 20sec video on to DVD and the quality is still poor when viewed on the TV.

Is there a way of reducing the file size yet retaining a reasonable resolution for the output?

I'll try and use the program with no photos though and see if it copes better.

Thanks for your help.

• 3. Re: Why does Premiere Elements 9 keep crashing during basic editing?
              the_wine_snob Level 9

OK, you are actually pushing the max size with those images, and a couple will bring even a stout computer to its knees. Take a look at this ARTICLE, for tips on how to Scale them, outside of the NLE program, and you will also benefit from higher qualtiy, as well.

Good luck,

Hunt

• 4. Re: Why does Premiere Elements 9 keep crashing during basic editing?
                Ted Smith Level 3

I always convert beforehand any graphic files to the same exact pixel size of the project I am editing on.

As I am always editing 16x9 and still camera pics are usually 4x3, I crop them at the same time to avoid the black bars that would usually show on the final video. This is also a good opportunity to optimise the picture quality.

This avoids using a PE9 effect to do a second partial reduction so the project renders quicker.

Some people recommend originally reducing them to something a big bigger and leave the final manipulation to PE.

But this invariabley reduces the quality because PE is left with the job of reduction with apparent "parts" of pixels. This can only be accomplished by blurring over the tiny jagged edges that result.(Divide by 2.142547 is much harder than divide by 2!)

You sometimes can't see how bad this is on a small computer preview but when you produce a final blue ray disk on a big screen you can really see the difference in the fine detail.

Also you get the best results if you shoot the original still at an exact (or near) muntiple of the final video (if you can)

• 5. Re: Why does Premiere Elements 9 keep crashing during basic editing?
                  the_wine_snob Level 9

Ted,

I am with you. I Scale to exactly what I need for my video. If I need to do a Pan on a Zoomed out image, I will calculate how much movement I will need and then Scale to that size. If I am Panning, and need no Tilt, I will even Crop my image in PS, to eliminate the extra vertical pixels, so they do not even have to be pushed around by Premiere. This can mean that some images will get special "treatment," but as PS does a better job, than any Premiere up to Pro CS5, it's worth it to me.

Hunt

• 6. Re: Why does Premiere Elements 9 keep crashing during basic editing?
                    arossp80 Level 1

Thanks for all the comments. I resized all my images I was using taking them down to under 1000 pixels and dropping the dpi to 150. It seemed to be working fine and had a handful of photos and text in a project when I went to preview it and it crashed as before! I stripped the whole thing down in various stages and eventually just took the photos out and tried it with just text. I had one line of text then went to preview and it appeared to be loading for 10secs then it crashed. I just dont understand why my computer which should be capable of handling the software doesn't seem to be coping with simple tasks. I'm not running any programmes in the background. This is very frustrating as I dont think I'm trying to do anything complex! Any thoughts on this would be much appreciated.

• 7. Re: Why does Premiere Elements 9 keep crashing during basic editing?
                      the_wine_snob Level 9

When you say "text," do you mean that you are adding Titles (created with Titler), or do you mean something else.

Good luck,

Hunt

BTW - DPI/PPI do not have any meaning in Video. They are used only in printing (DPI), or display on a computer monitor (PPI).

• 8. Re: Why does Premiere Elements 9 keep crashing during basic editing?
                        arossp80 Level 1

Sorry, text as in PE9 titles so its not like I am importing files into the programme. Its an intrinsic feature of PE9 therefore cant understand how the programme (or my machine) struggles to use it.

Thanks again.

• 9. Re: Why does Premiere Elements 9 keep crashing during basic editing?
                          nealeh Level 5

Try the tips in this article: PrE Hanging, or Crashing - Some Tips.

Cheers,
                          --
                          Neale
                          Insanity is hereditary, you get it from your children

• 10. Re: Why does Premiere Elements 9 keep crashing during basic editing?
                            the_wine_snob Level 9

Thank you for the clarification. Titles should not be an issue at all. You are correct,they are an intrensic part of PrE, and should cause no issues.

I think that Neale's link will be useful. A lot of that material should be X-platform, but you will see some that is Windows-specific, especially as PrE was not X-platform, until PrE 9, and some of the suggestions, while still applicable, were when the program was only on the PC. Also, I gathered up some of it, and have to admit that I am a Mac-illiterate.

Something is definitely wrong with your PrE 9.0, with your system, or with its setup. Steve Grisetti, our MOD here, uses PrE 9.0 on an iMac, that is not a powerhouse computer, and has had few issues. I'd like to hear his comments, as he is X-platform, and many of us are only PC-guys. It's not that we do not want to help, as we do, it's just that many of us do not know the ins-and-outs that might be specific to the Mac.

Now, aspects of performance, such as the nVidia, or ATI video drivers, updating QT and updating PrE are not platform-specific, and are places to look first.

Also, when PrE crashes, do you get any error messages? I can tell you where to look for OS errors and warnings on a PC, but am lost on the Mac. There has to be some process logging function in OSX, like Event Viewer in Windows. It basically logs every call to every service, program, or process, and monitors the response. When things do not go, as they should, a warning, or error message is written to Event Viewer. Some of those are just cryptic code, and meaningless to even a Windows engineer, but some will have real, useful data, and the best will have links to say the MS Web site, or maybe to a driver mfgr. with tips on what went wrong, and best of all, what to do about it. Unfortunately, I cannot even begin to tell you where to look on a Mac.

One other potential concern would be the amount of free space on your HDD's. PrE creates very large working files, and needs a lot of real estate, just to work. How much free space do you have on each of your HDD?

Sorry to just be thinking out loud here, and wish that I had some wonderful, and useful insight.

Good luck,

Hunt

• 11. Re: Why does Premiere Elements 9 keep crashing during basic editing?
                              Ted Smith Level 3

I would say the problem is definitely with your computer, memory or the video card combination

PE is a very resource hungly beast and need a computer to be in a perfect setup.

I use PE9 on an old Windows XP Core Duo computer on a dual monitor setup with no crashes at all.

I had many crashes (even with PE2) before I changed to a newer video card that uses only its own memory and processing . The old card that used part of the system memory would never crash on ordinary wordprocessing tasks but if you say were watching any media player and dragged it from one screen to the other it would always crash.

Not being a mac person I dont know hown this would exactly apply to a mac but the supplier should be able to fix the problem.