6 Replies Latest reply on Feb 23, 2011 2:46 PM by John402052000

migrating to new computer from DW MX to DW8

John402052000

I bought a new computer in the last year. I'm a graphic designer who does a little web site work. My old machine is a Mac G4 MP with DW MX. My new machine is a MacBook Pro intel with DW 8. I haven't bothered to migrate my sites from my old machine to my new one, but the G4 is getting buggy so its time. My question is this: Is there an easy way to migrate my sites from my old computer to my new one? Ideally I'd move my sites file from my old comptuer to my new one and the viola -- I can open them up on my new machine with all the database intact.

Any help would be great.

thanks,

John

• 1. Re: migrating to new computer from DW MX to DW8
          Ben M Adobe Community Professional

Easiest way would be to drag the user folders that you still use from one mac to the other.  The Sites, Documents and other folders still exist in the same location, OSX has not changed that much.  Then export the site file from the old mac to the new one and it should read it instantly as long as the usernames are the same.  If they are not, you may need to adjust a path when you import to the new Mac.  Just keep in mind that DW 8 is an old version and is not guaranteed to run in SL on the new Macbook Pro.  And because it's 3 versions back, CS5 is your last chance to upgrade before paying full retail again when CS6 comes out.  Just something to think about if you run into issues with the Macbook Pro.

• 2. Re: migrating to new computer from DW MX to DW8
            John402052000 Level 1

Thanks for the reply!

A couple questions:

when you say "user folders" do you mean the home folder, or folder within that main directory. I've been using the new machine for almost a year, so I don't want to write over anything that I don't need to. Could you possibly man the "user/home directory" > "application support" > "Macromedia" > "Dreamweaver MX" folder that should be copied over, or its contents? When I use the export feature what I get is an "xxxxxx.ste" file. Is that the file I need to export and copy over to my new machine? If so, where do I put that file?

thanks again,

John

• 3. Re: migrating to new computer from DW MX to DW8

The .ste file is what you need.  But you also need to bring over the files (HTML, CSS, JS, etc.).  Dreamweaver's .ste file just stores your FTP settings, local paths, etc.  The HTML files can just be dragged from one computer to the next.  And by the user folders I mean that inside each users "Home" are a bunch of folders named Desktop, Documents, Sites, Library, Music, Movies, etc.  I said user's because if you have more than one user on the machine you only need to bring over the one user's set of folders and because if your old username was johndoe and you are now johnadoe then the path will have changed from the first computer to the second.  In which case, your .ste file would load in DW, but you would need to set up the local path of the site to match the new location.

My original impression of your situation was that you bought a new Mac recently with no data on it, and the Mac wizard can actually move your user home folder and settings from one computer to another.  But since this computer has been in your possession for an extended period this is no longer a valid point.  So you are correct that you don't just want to overwrite folders, but rather just bring over the files you need and place them on the new computer.

The Application Support folder you mention will not be necessary to bring over.  Typically the data stored in there is specific to the application and a specific version. This data includes the layout of the program (ie: did you drag windows to certain locations or in later versions did you save the workspace layout).  Because you are changing versions in the process these files may not serve any purpose as Dreamweaver will typically create a new set of files in the Application Support folder during the installation for the newer version.

• 4. Re: migrating to new computer from DW MX to DW8
                John402052000 Level 1

thank you so much for all your help. Currently I have a "site" folder on my old G4 that contains folders corresponding to the web sites I have created. I'll drag and copy this folder to my new computer. My question is, how do I implement the .ste files, or where do I put them on the new machine?

thanks again!

• 5. Re: migrating to new computer from DW MX to DW8

On the new copy of Dreamweaver in the Sites Manager just choose Import instead of New.  Then you can import the .ste file.  If you run into any issues during the process just post back, but I think you have a good understanding of what you need to do.

• 6. Re: migrating to new computer from DW MX to DW8
                    John402052000 Level 1

Thanks! That did the trick. Just in the nick of time. I think the power supply on my G4 is going.