4 Replies Latest reply on Feb 24, 2011 12:26 PM by oddguy

Editing MTS Video In Premiere Elements 4

oddguy

Hello everyone!

After looking in Consumer Reports for a good HD camera, I decided to purchase the Canon Vixia HF200. Little did I realize how challenging it would be to work with MTS video. I have Adobe Premiere Elements 4, which didn't support MTS, but I found a plugin that allows PE to handle MTS.

http://www.moyea.com/import-flv/

After that I was able to open MTS in PE, but then came the issue of my computer being too slow to handle the video. Play back was visible, but extrememly choppy.

After doing some research I finally decided to get a new computer. Here are the specs.

• Windows 7 Home Premium 64 Bit
      • Intel Core i7 CPU 950 @ 3.07GHz
      • 9.00 GB RAM
      • AMD Radeon HD 6450 Display

(Let me know if you guys need more info)

Anyway, the problem I'm experiencing now is that I'm able to import MTS in PE, but all I get is sound. No video. Just a black screen where the video should be.

I've been editing video for a while, but I'm new to HD, so I'm not sure what preset I should be using. Could that be the problem? I'm not sure. Any help would be much appreciated.

Thanks.

• 1. Re: Editing MTS Video In Premiere Elements 4
          nealeh Level 5

All drivers on any brand new PC are likely to be around six months out of date because the 'master drive' from which all the retail drives are copied will be months old. Download and install the latest graphics driver for that AMD HD 6450 Display. Ditto Audio and QuickTime player. See this fuller article for a list of basic tasks to work through: PrE Hanging, or Crashing - Some Tips

That article also links to a 'Got a problem' article that will explain what additional information about clips and hardware we need (e.g. how many hard disks and how much free defragmented space).

Cheers,
          --
          Neale
          Insanity is hereditary, you get it from your children

1 person found this helpful
          • 2. Re: Editing MTS Video In Premiere Elements 4
            Steve Grisetti Adobe Community Professional

Also do ensure that you have the latest version of Quicktime and ensure that, when you start your Premiere Elements project, you select the appropriate Settings for AVCHD.

Your settings must match your source footage -- especially the first time you try to edit this format -- or the components will not be properly activated.

1 person found this helpful
            • 3. Re: Editing MTS Video In Premiere Elements 4
              the_wine_snob Level 9
              Your settings must match your source footage -- especially the first time you try to edit this format -- or the components will not be properly activated.

Steve,

The second part IS very important, and one that I often forget to mention. There are several modules that must be Activated, as Adobe pays a licensing fee on each, and basically needs that Activation for "accounting purposes." As the Activation is transparent to the user, most do not even realize that it has taken place. Once, one got a dialog screen, and had to do a few clicks for the process to complete, but now it takes place behind the scenes.

Thanks for pointing that out, and I will try to remember to make mention of it.

Appreciated,

Hunt

• 4. Re: Editing MTS Video In Premiere Elements 4
                oddguy Level 1

Thanks for the suggestions! I'm in the process of implementing everyone's advice. I'll let you guys know if the problem is solved.