I bought Flex2 then installed it successfully. Then
uninstalled it from one machine and installed again on another
machine (same OSX version). The new install would not accept my
serial numbers, so I cannot use it. Then I downloaded Flex3 which
is a 30 day trial. I put in my serial numbers on Flex 3 and they
were accepted. Does this mean my Flex 3 install will last until
October? I read that somewhere but I can't remember where. I had
spent several days trying to get help from Adobe with the problem
with Flex 2 not recognizing my serial numbers but I got tired of
being on hold. The last time I was on hold was for 1.5 hours. I
cannot get anyone to help me at Customer Service or Tech Support.
When I call, usually someone picks up fairly quickly but then they
transfer me, and after such long wait times, I finally just give
up. So I've got a boxed product I paid for and I cannot use it.
Fortunately Flex3 took the serial numbers, but when October rolls
around I'll be out of commission. Does anyone have any suggestions?
Also I need to know for sure if Flex 3 will really last until
October because if it locks me out in 30 days, I will probably be
in the middle of a project I won't be able to complete. I'm not
sure what to do at this point. Is the Adobe company having some
sort of problems that cause this sort of thing to happen? These
long wait times on hold don't make sense for a functioning company
--- is there some sort of troubles in the company causing