8 Replies Latest reply on Feb 24, 2011 7:03 AM by the_wine_snob

Changed background in menu reverts back to original template when burned to DVD

Magic Mary

I saw a discussion about this that took place in October.  After changing the background to my photo in a menu template, the menu layout window looks good, the preview looks good, and after the DVD has been burned, the menu has changed back to the original background.  The type remained the way I changed it.  Tried everything I could think of.  The photos were the correct size.  Is there a flaw in Premiere Elements 9?  I never had any trouble like this with Premiere Elements 3.  Can anyone help?

• 1. Re: Changed background in menu reverts back to original template when burned to DVD
          nealeh Level 5

Sadly yes, there is a problem with PRE9 menu's. There are many that do exactly what you describe, but I don't think there is as yet a definitive list. There are no known fixes at this time (unless you want to get into the creation of your own backgrounds (which involves editing the images in PSE)).

Which template is giving you the problem?

Cheers,
          --
          Neale
          Insanity is hereditary, you get it from your children

• 2. Re: Changed background in menu reverts back to original template when burned to DVD
            the_wine_snob Level 9

Welcome to the forum.

As Neale points out, there is a Bug in some of the Menu Templates. I would urge you to file a Bug Report, so that Adobe has material to work on, and get this fixed. Some users have already filed the Bug Reports, but as the number increases, Adobe will move the priority for the fix higher. We are early enough in the release cycle, that they should be able to exact a fix, while PrE 9 is still the current version. I know that Adobe takes these reports very seriously, and if the priority for a fix is high enough, they will be taking action - hopefully with a "patch" that replaces the bad Menu Sets.

Good luck, and thank you for reporting to us, and also for reporting to Adobe.

Hunt

• 3. Re: Changed background in menu reverts back to original template when burned to DVD
              Magic Mary Level 1

Wow, I'm now glad I'm not the only one having a problem!  Thank you for your reply.  The template I was using is the pretty blue flowered wedding format.  Like I said, I tried to replace the background with a picture of bride and groom, and it looked great until after I burned the DVD. The end result was the original template replaced my bride and groom.   I'm going to TRY fixing the template in Photoshop, which involves CAREFULLY replacing the background layer on a COPY of the template and replacing the original in the correct folder. This sounds tricky enough, but do-able. Hope it works.  I used PE3 for many years and never had this problem. Other than the menu problem, I like new PE9.

I will let Adobe know that I think there is a glitch.  They must know about it by now.

• 4. Re: Changed background in menu reverts back to original template when burned to DVD
                Magic Mary Level 1

I would save a copy of the original PSE of the template to a safe place - like a flash drive before experimenting.  On the template PSE document, add a new layer, place your correctly sized photo, drag the new layer down to the position above the background.  Turn off the background. Hopefully this will give you a new background.  Save.  If this doesn't work out, copy the original back or turn off  or delete the new layer and turn on the old background layer.  Keep fingers crossed.  Has anyone tried this already?

• 5. Re: Changed background in menu reverts back to original template when burned to DVD
                  the_wine_snob Level 9

Mary,

I cannot comment on the use of PSE to edit the "problem templates" for the Menu Sets, but it should work. I have modified many of the Menu Sets from PrE, though do not have PrE 9.0 to check those templates in particular.

When I do those modifications, I first make a Copy of both Menus in the Menu Set, then use the same file naming convention, but changing it in the middle, where the important characters are left intact. Study the naming conventions, and you will see what I mean here. For both the naming convention, and also the use of the Menu Sets by PrE in authoring, be careful to observe how those PSD files are constructed, as PrE needs to control the use of those PSD's, in its semi-automatic authoring steps - edit carefully. Your suggested method should work just fine, as you are not really doing anything to that Layer Set structure. I then create PNG "thumbnail" images from my modified Menu Set PSD's, and place those in the folder, along with my modified PSD's. That folder is then added to the Library, under my "custom" Menus main folder, "Hunt_Menus." When I then launch PrE, I can use the drop-down to navigate to those custom Menu Sets, get my PNG thumbnail displays, and use the custom Menus, just like the regular Library Menu Sets.

Using the PrE naming conventions, and structure, I can even edit the Layer Sets, but have to be careful to follow the conventions from the Library Menu Sets. Note: PSE can edit Layer Sets, but not create them, like PS can. However, this should not be an issue for most users.

If you do this editing, please work on Copies of the Menu Sets, and do not overwrite your Library Menu Sets, and please let us know if this works with the PrE 9.0 Menu Sets.

Good luck,

Hunt

• 6. Re: Changed background in menu reverts back to original template when burned to DVD
                    Magic Mary Level 1

I took a good look at all that is involved in making these changes to menu templates, and got a huge headache. I think I will wait for Adobe to fix the problem of allowing the menus to be changed in PrE 9 as they were in PrE 3. I don't usually give up on things, but this is clearly over my head. I just want to make nice videos and will use the menus that came with the program.  Thank you to everyone who tried to help me.

• 7. Re: Changed background in menu reverts back to original template when burned to DVD
                      nealeh Level 5

On past performance it is probable that Adobe are well into the development of Premiere Elements 10 so I wouldn't hold my breath waiting for the template fix in PRE9. I switched to Sony's DVD Architect Studio 5.0 for producing final output.

Cheers,
                      --
                      Neale
                      Insanity is hereditary, you get it from your children

• 8. Re: Changed background in menu reverts back to original template when burned to DVD
                        the_wine_snob Level 9

It actually sounds worst, than it is, and if one is working with Copies, there is nothing to worry about. Still, it does involve some care and some work.

Did you file the Bug Report? That will definitely keep the attention squarely on fixing this problem. I would urge everyone, with the same problems, to file one, with the details of which Menu Sets are not working. It should be an easy fix for Adobe, and they need to know how it is affecting its user-base.

Good luck,

Hunt