Dedicated community for Japanese speakers
  • 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Hyperlink question

Jun 27, 2007 Jun 27, 2007

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Today I tried to create a hyperlink from a Help topic to a file in an "outside" folder. I got a message box asking me if I wanted to copy the target file to the Help folder. I never had to before, so I selected "No." Consequently, the hyperlink did not get created.

I haven't had this problem before, and I have set up hyperlinks plenty of times to outside documents. Why now?

Thanx!
Lon

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Engaged ,
Jun 28, 2007 Jun 28, 2007

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Lon,

Can you clarify what you mean by an "outside" folder? Are you creating WebHelp or compiled help?

I do only compiled help, so the following comments apply only to CHM files. I don't know what version you are using but in earlier versions of RoboHelp (I still use RoboHelp 2000), it would automatically copy the file into the project and the compiler would compile the external file into the project even when you didn't want it there. It would not show up in the project file but would be included in the CHM. So perhaps this is an improvement.

If you have done this successfully in the past with the same version of RH, I would suspect that it is a question of having a bad path to the new file.

John

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi, John,

Thanks for responding. Here's the situation in more detail:

I have Robohelp HTML 6 install on my C: drive; its output (the .xpj files) goes to our P: drive. The .pdf file I want to hyperlink to is also on the P: drive, but in a different folder -- not part of the Help structure.

What would constitute a "...bad path to the new file."?

Lon

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi Lon

Just a clarification here. You said: its output (the .xpj files) goes to our P: drive.

First, there should be only one .XPJ for each project.
Second, the .XPJ should never be seen in output files. It is a source file.
Third, the .XPJ should never be placed on a network drive. It should be on C: with all the other source files.

Cheers... Rick

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi, Rick!

Thanks, also, for responding.

"First, there should be only one .XPJ for each project."

There is only one. I must have mis-typed.

"Second, the .XPJ should never be seen in output files. It is a source file."

Possibly a misuse of nomenclature on my part; RoboHelp compiles, the .xpj file is the "finished product," so I referred to it as an "output."

"Third, the .XPJ should never be placed on a network drive. It should be on C: with all the other source files."

True, I have been told this several times on this forum, and have in fact told my supervisors; however, they want the .xpj on the network for backup purposes. Little I can do about it.

Lon

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Valorous Hero ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST
Hi again Lon

Rick said: "First, there should be only one .XPJ for each project."

Lon replied: There is only one. I must have mis-typed.

So Rick replies: No problem. Happens to me too.
------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Rick said: "Second, the .XPJ should never be seen in output files. It is a source file."

Lon replied: Possibly a misuse of nomenclature on my part; RoboHelp compiles, the .xpj file is the "finished product," so I referred to it as an "output."

So Rick replies: Ummm, I think you are a bit confused. You are saying the .XPJ is the finished product? Normally, the finished product exists as either:
a: A single file with a .CHM extension
b: A swarm of WebHelp or FlashHelp files
------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Rick said: "Third, the .XPJ should never be placed on a network drive. It should be on C: with all the other source files."

Lon replied: True, I have been told this several times on this forum, and have in fact told my supervisors; however, they want the .xpj on the network for backup purposes. Little I can do about it.

So Rick replies: Unless your supervisors are totally prohibiting you from placing any file whatsoever on your C: drive, this is baloney. You always have the option of following best practice of keeping things on C AND complying with your supervisors' wishes of having a backup on the network. You just periodically copy from your C: location to the network. This easily and effectively satisfies the needs of all.

Cheers... Rick

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Resources
RoboHelp Documentation
Download Adobe RoboHelp