13 Replies Latest reply on Mar 26, 2011 7:57 AM by richard_12345

Windows 7 SP1

PaulieDC Level 2

I jumped in, feet first tonight. I'll give Premiere CS5 a good run for the money and let y'all know if I hit any issues.

-PD

(for those curious I'm running Win 7 64 Ult now w/SP1, on an i7-950/24GB/EVGA Mobo/Raptor for OS/GTX470/3Ware RAID Card for assets, currently not OC'd)

• 1. Re: Windows 7 SP1
          Alan Craven-Y3Asuo Level 1

I have installed SP1 and neither the experience nor the results are pleasant!

My initial attempt to install using a downloaded .exe was rejected on the grounds that "One or more system components that the service pack requires are missing".  I was directed to a K support document which suggested that I needed to do an Upgrade install of Windows.  This took nearly 3 hours with various problems along the way, most notably the repeated assertion that my copy of Windows is not genuine!  Eventually I got there, but both graphics and audio card drivers had got lost along the way, as well as the activation for my Internet Security package..  I checked out all the tweaks and gingerly tried a few programs.  all the MS Office group were Ok.

I then moved on to the Adobe group, with the following results:

Photoshop CS5 and Bridge seem Ok.

Premiere, AME, and Encore all stall at "Loading ExporterAVI.prm

Audition CS3 stalls at the "Initializing Required Components" point.

Fortunately I have an image of my working system at the start of this saga!

• 2. Re: Windows 7 SP1
            Harm Millaard Level 7

Alan,

Did you happen to do anything with the WGA .Reg settings in the past? It looks like something in your Windows setup is causing this weird behavior. I had no problems whatsoever and the installation took less than 30 minutes, I think. I did not time it, however.

If your system was reasonable up-to-date before installing SP1, there is no logical reason that SP1 will screw up, since SP1 is essentially nothing more than a cumulative install of patches that have been around for some time. There is no added functionality, like with Server 2008.

• 3. Re: Windows 7 SP1

Thanks for the suggestion, Harm.

I think my answere is "not-knowingly" as I have no idea what or where the WGA.reg settings are!

LATER

Sorry I am slow! Windows Genuine Advantage?

My answer is still not that I am aware of.  I recall seeing it during Windows update, but not for some time.

The problems I had suggest that all is not well with my Windows installation.  It is 14 months since I installed it, at that point with CS4 and an ATI card -too many changes I think.  I must do a clean re-install.

• 4. Re: Windows 7 SP1
                PaulieDC Level 2

Alan, it sounds like a clean install is the way to go. REMEMBER to deactivate your Adobe stuff first!! That phone call to Adobe to undo that one can be long and tedious.

So I ran up Premiere with some 5D Mark II footage I shot, threw on some transitions and some Magic Bullet Looks effects, then sent the project to AME from Premiere and baked it at 350 degrees until tender with a dash of H.264 Blu-Ray, and all seems to be well. The SP1 update didn't even mess up my 3Ware RAID card settings which was nice.

Yeah Harm, the total upgrade process with the download was a little under 30 mins.

• 5. Re: Windows 7 SP1
                  John T Smith Adobe Community Professional & MVP

Today's weekly tech letter from http://WindowsSecrets.com has a 1st look at SP1... and concluded that anyone with auto-updates turned on (that's me) does not gain anything major from SP1... so no rush to download and install (different story for Server 2008, which does have new "stuff" in SP1)

Since everything on my computer works, I'm not going to be in any rush to install SP1

In fact, I think I'll make a drive image tonight, just to have a fall-back in case SP1 doesn't like my computer when it does download and install as part of auto-updates

• 6. Re: Windows 7 SP1
                    function(){return A.apply(null,[this].concat($A(arguments)))}

PaulieDC wrote:

Alan, it sounds like a clean install is the way to go. REMEMBER to deactivate your Adobe stuff first!! That phone call to Adobe to undo that one can be long and tedious.

So I ran up Premiere with some 5D Mark II footage I shot, threw on some transitions and some Magic Bullet Looks effects, then sent the project to AME from Premiere and baked it at 350 degrees until tender with a dash of H.264 Blu-Ray, and all seems to be well. The SP1 update didn't even mess up my 3Ware RAID card settings which was nice.

Yeah Harm, the total upgrade process with the download was a little under 30 mins.

Yes, I am afraid so, trouble is I intend to upgrade to the new Intel motherboard once they have it sorted, and that means another install!

Deactivation is an area I am not sure about - as is Adobe update.  You see conflicting advice on the forums, coming from people whose views one respects.

I know you must de-activate if moving to another computer, but I have read that you do not need to if re-installing Windows on the same hard disk, unless you do a full format of the disk.  I am sure I read somewhere that there is a limit of 20 activations on a single Premiere licence, so unnecessary activations are something to avoid!.

For update some people say that you need to do all the updates in chronological order, e.g. 5.0.1, then 5.0.2, 5.0.3, etc.  Others say only the most recent is needed - and that is my experience.

It would be good if one of the Adobe people, e.g. Todd Kopriva, who must have a definitive answer could provide the authorized version somewhere in a "sticky" post.

• 7. Re: Windows 7 SP1
                      Harm Millaard Level 7

Alan,

Deactivation is not needed for a repair install of Windows. For a fresh install it is needed. But it is only a few mouse click to deactivate and activate again. You will be sorry you did not click a few times and discover that you need to phone Adobe to get the activation corrected. Better safe than sorry.

• 8. Re: Windows 7 SP1

Thanks Harm,

That makes sense. For activation to survive a clean Windows install, key files would have to be on the reserved partition; and I guess that gets formatted too in the install process.

At the moment I am OK - I have installed once only, on my present machine.  My laptop will not run CS5.

• 10. Re: Windows 7 SP1
                          PaulieDC Level 2

This is good info... admittedly, I was under the bane of "you always have to deactivate or the sky will drop".

• 11. Re: Windows 7 SP1
                            function(){return A.apply(null,[this].concat($A(arguments)))}

PaulieDC wrote:

This is good info... admittedly, I was under the bane of "you always have to deactivate or the sky will drop".

This is exactly why I wish Adobe would make clear what the rules for activation and updating are.  People who are long time users of the software, who one would think ought to know the correct procedures have wildly differing ideas on both of these.

I am pretty sure that when I do my fresh install of CS5 I can update it directly to 5.0.3 with the 5.0.3 update that I have downloaded and archived.  That is because I have done the equivalent with CS4, CS2,etc. in the past.

As for activating, I have to guess as I really have no idea.  I have got into trouble in the past when I had CS4 on both my desktop and my laptop and did a re-install without de-activating.  Adobe UK were very helpful on the phone and cleared my activation straight away - they even followed up with an email a week later to check that all was OK.

• 12. Re: Windows 7 SP1
                              PaulieDC Level 2

The consistency thing can also be frustrating. I've wiped and reloaded a couple of times, and when I install Prod Premium CS5 which is an upgrade, sometimes when I provide my Adobe login it picks up on my registered products and continues through the install. Other times I have to pull out my previous version's license and type in everything.

The other twist is that you do get two concurrent installations (i.e. desktop and laptop), and if you only have one installation like me where I don't have a laptop, how do I know if my first reinstall after a reimage is reactivating the initial one, or using up the second one? I wouldn't know until I attempt a laptop installation which would be a rotten time to find out.

So, it goes back to this: install Win 7 and Adobe stuff and plugins and get ity all nice and tidy, the make that backup image with Win7 onto a USB drive and keep it safe. Do it right away so your Registry isn't bloated. If your system goes wonky, restore the image and you're ready to go. You could download all Adobe updates (and Windows too) at that point, make a new image, and you still have a pristine backup.

• 13. Re: Windows 7 SP1
                                richard_12345

Win 7 SP1 definitely screwed my Adobe CS4 Bridge. Then I did an OS reinstall with the SP1 and then installed Adobe Creative suite CS4 and the result is that bridge still is messed up! Now I will reinstall OS again and leave SP1 out!

Maybe CS4 is too old for this?