1 2 Previous Next 72 Replies Latest reply on Apr 12, 2011 5:17 AM by alchemyvideo Branched to a new discussion.

Premiere CS5 - HDV Playback Freezes/Crashes System!

alchemyvideo

Hi all,

Despite the immense rage and frustration that cumulates at these times, I'll try as hard as I can to stick to the facts here:

Premiere CS5 has been completely unusable since I purchased it 6 weeks ago.  It is running on a new Windows 7 Home Premium 64 bit system.   It cannot handle playback of HDV and crashes the machine at random intervals during playback, normally after a few seconds.  Sometimes the 'crash' means the video freezes while audio continues to play.  Sometimes, the crash locks up the whole machine or even forces an immediate re-boot.  Premiere seems to behave as if it is running on an old, slow system that can't keep up.  I cannot perform a single edit on my timeline due to the crashing issue.

I have a support case open with Adobe but they appear to have no idea how to fix the issue and keep going round in circles (they have tried to close the case 3 times as well!).  I have spoken to Sunny, Sundeep, Riaz, Deepak and the supervisor, Avinash.  I also contacted technical sales engineer Steve Burnard (at BVE, Earls Court) but so far have been ignored, despite his promises to help.  I have worked through an exhaustive list of maintenance so far, but have made no progress.  It goes without saying really, but my business is suffering bigtime.

My system spec is as follows:  Asus P7P7P55-M, Intel Core i7 870, Coolermaster Hyper TX3, 8gb Corsair DDR3 1600mhz DHX CL9 (4x 2gb modules), NVidia GeForce GTX 460 1GB, 700w EZCool Tornado PSU, Western Digital FW800 Raid Array, Matrox Triplehead2go (now disconnected for faultfinding).  The machine is NOT overclocked and I have no antivirus software or any other key programs on the system:  It is a dedicated video edit system.

I am running Premiere CS5 ver 5.0.3 (all updates installed).  My NVidia drivers are up to date (Ver 266.58). My footage is HDV 1080i from a Canon XLH1a (PAL).

Here's a summary of the main things I've tried.  None of these steps made any obvious difference:

• Changed 'Optimise rendering for memory/performance'
      • Fiddled with memory allocation settings
      • Cleared cache
      • Lowered playback quality
      • Captured/imported new HDV footage (same camera)
      • Re-captured the 'problem' footage (same camera)
      • Imported footage from another (working) machine. This footage edits/plays perfectly in CS3 on the old machine and was captured on the same camera
      • Moved footage to a different internal (fast) hard drive
      • Updated BIOS and other system drivers
      • Entered memory timings/voltages manually instead of using BIOS 'Auto' settings
      • Disconnected TH2go and uninstalled Matrox Powerdesk
      • Updated/re-installed video card drivers (clean install)
      • Uninstalled Premiere, then reinstalled updates one at a time (to latest 5.0.3)
      • Run memtest86 with only one DIMM installed at a time - no errors reported
      • Run Prime95 Torture test for 4.5 hours with no errors reported
      • Tried to import Quicktime HD files from 'Footage Firm' DVD (won't import)

Key Observations:

The footage that crashes Premiere CS5 plays back fine in Windows Media Player on the same machine, at full res.

The footage that crashes Premiere plays and edits fine on an old machine running Premiere CS3.

Scene capture does not work correctly - it cuts off after a few minutes. Tapes therefore have to be captured in their entirity, meaning file sizes are large.

AVI files seem to play back fine so far (could it be related to higher compression formats?)

Apologies for the length of this post.  It's a complex, long-term problem and so far no Adobe 'professionals' have displayed any real willingness to help.  Adobe support have so far suggested only the basics.  They are extremely reluctant to let you speak to their higher-level support agents and seem to basically just be script-readers.  If a suggestion doesn't work they seem to have no idea of what to try next (until they 'talk to their superiors'!).

They have recorded a session with me and are apparently still discussing the results:  Honestly, I'm not sure I believe them.  Four weeks has passed now.   I feel I really need someone to attempt to address the machine/Premiere conflict on a hardware to software level.  I may be wrong, but given all my tests so far this appears to be caused by a conflict between Premiere and something in/on my machine ...but what?!!  I see no evidence of faulty hardware.

Any advice further to everything listed above would be so incredibly appreciated.  Thanks in advance.

Paul

• 1. Re: Premiere CS5 - HDV Playback Freezes/Crashes System!
          Harm Millaard Level 7

Paul,

If you press the Overview tab, at the top right hand side of the CS5 forum page there is a help resources box. Select the "Get help quickly" article. Read especially the second part and post the requested screenshots and attach the requested files, like DXDIAG.txt etc.

• 2. Re: Premiere CS5 - HDV Playback Freezes/Crashes System!
            alchemyvideo Level 1

Hi Harm,

Thanks but how do I attach files to the thread?  If you mean through hyperlinks, where can I upload documents to?

• 3. Re: Premiere CS5 - HDV Playback Freezes/Crashes System!
              Harm Millaard Level 7

Paul, use the Insert Link icon, the one to the left of the Table icon and above the Emoticons. For the screenshots, use the camera icon.

• 4. Re: Premiere CS5 - HDV Playback Freezes/Crashes System!
                bonhomie1512 Level 1

Hi,

Please refer to this

http://kb2.adobe.com/cps/822/cpsid_82252.html

this might help you

Regards,

Bonhomie

• 5. Re: Premiere CS5 - HDV Playback Freezes/Crashes System!
                  alchemyvideo Level 1

Hi Bonhomie, 

Thanks, that's an interesting article.  I've covered most things on it now and all the critical ones.  Right now I'm taking out my firewire card and a few DIMMS as last ditch attempts.  It's a longshot though...

• 6. Re: Premiere CS5 - HDV Playback Freezes/Crashes System!
                    Dave R Smith

As it is a new pc, the hardware and o/s etc can't be ruled out, so perhaps find another NLE to download, perhaps a 'free for 30 days' trial, just to see if it will do simple things that PP can't, though I note it's OK on media player.

I often capture 1 tape/hour at a time at 13 gig a time, so don't think that should affect it.

Are your drives all 7200rpm and have you (or your pc builder) tweaked any settings for the grapics card to do its cuda stuff (e.g. force recognition of non-compatible drive).

Suggest you report is a potential issue with pc supplier in case that's found to be the issue later.

HTH

• 7. Re: Premiere CS5 - HDV Playback Freezes/Crashes System!
                      alchemyvideo Level 1

Thanks Dave; sound advice about the PC manufacturer, although it was purchased about 6 months ago and has been sitting idle. 

You've made me realise one obvious thing I'd overlooked:  I guess I could install CS3 simultaneously on the new system.  That is, provided the licensing lets me do so (it's already installed on two other machines), and there won't be any conflicts between the two programs.

All files do play correctly in WMP, which seems to point firmly towards a specific Premiere issue. 

The hard drive is an external raid array (striped) of two 7200rpm drives.  The interface is very fast (firewire 800).  I have used it for years on my CS3 system.

I'd be interested to hear more on 'force recognition of incompatible drive' - I don't know what you mean by that?  I've twiddled with a few odd NVidia settings, but it's all guesswork.  An Adobe agent got me to download a CUDA toolkit, but then didn't seem to do anything with it.  Maybe just having it reside on your system helps?  The 'correct' NVidia settings seem to be a great mystery here.

Paul

• 8. Re: Premiere CS5 - HDV Playback Freezes/Crashes System!
                        Harm Millaard Level 7
                        The hard drive is an external raid array (striped) of two 7200rpm drives.  The interface is very fast (firewire 800).

That depends on your definition of fast. Around 2.5 times slower than a single fast SATA disk.

• 9. Re: Premiere CS5 - HDV Playback Freezes/Crashes System!
                          alchemyvideo Level 1

That's irrelevant here.  The same drive and interface plays and edits HDV fine when connected to another

(slower) computer.  As I mentioned in the original post, I've also tried a fast internal drive as an alternative anyway.

• 10. Re: Premiere CS5 - HDV Playback Freezes/Crashes System!
                            Harm Millaard Level 7

Untill you supply the data requested, it is all guessing.

• 11. Re: Premiere CS5 - HDV Playback Freezes/Crashes System!
                              Todd_Kopriva Level 8

Are you attempting to use the CUDA processing features (Mercury Playback Engine GPU Acceleration in project settings)? If so, turn that setting to Mercury Playback Engine Software Only. Your card is not supported for CUDA processing in Premiere Pro CS5.

• 12. Re: Premiere CS5 - HDV Playback Freezes/Crashes System!
                                alchemyvideo Level 1

Yes, I'm working on that.  I asked you earlier where I can upload the documents to rather than how I place a hyperlink.  I can't link to local files on my machine.  Anyway, I'm trying to get it sorted now.

Paul

• 13. Re: Premiere CS5 - HDV Playback Freezes/Crashes System!
                                  alchemyvideo Level 1

http://www.alchemyvideo.co.uk/data_files.htm

Please follow the above link.  You will see links to two tech summary documents produced so far:  DxDiag and System Info.  You can right click on either document link and select 'save as'.

Many thanks in advance, for your help.

Paul

• 14. Re: Premiere CS5 - HDV Playback Freezes/Crashes System!
                                    Harm Millaard Level 7

Paul,

Thanks for the info. That is extremely helpful.

The first thing I noticed is a very, very critical one, and may require a complete reformat of your boot disk and a fresh installation of OS & programs. Before you do that, make sure you deactivate CS5.

What is so critical? You installed ffdshow, haali, matroska and similar crap. That stuff is just as deadly for a system as an agressive form of the big C with extensive metastasis is for humans.

NEVER install codec packs, unless you are absolutely sure you need it and can trust it. Among the very few codecs one can install safely are Lagarith, Morgan and Mainconcept, but packages like ffdshow and K-Lite are to be avoided like the plague.

• 15. Re: Premiere CS5 - HDV Playback Freezes/Crashes System!
                                      alchemyvideo Level 1

Thank you Harm.  That sounds very intereresting.  Before I go to such extreme measures though, I should tell you that Adobe tech installed the Codec pack when they were trying to solve the problem (ah, those were the days).

With that in mind, presumably I had the same problem before those codecs were there?  Do you think I should still go ahead and do a complete re-format?  I was thinking my next step might be to try and replace the graphics card?

By the way, I've just finished installing Premiere CS3 (old version) on the new system, and it encounters the same crashing problem.

Thanks again.

• 16. Re: Premiere CS5 - HDV Playback Freezes/Crashes System!
                                        Harm Millaard Level 7

I would be surprised if the video card is the one causing problems. It is a very good card and you have the latest drivers installed.

The usual problem with ffdswhow is that it modifies the priority of the codecs in such a way that PR can not use the normal codecs anymore, but is forced into using codecs it was not designed for. The fact that players like WMP do not give problems is because they are not very dependent on those codec priorities, all they have to do is play the file back, not decode the file for editing. If only uninstalling would also entail restoration of the registry entries to their default PR suitable state, that would be nice, but unfortunately that is not always the case.

• 17. Re: Premiere CS5 - HDV Playback Freezes/Crashes System!
                                          alchemyvideo Level 1

Thank you Harm,

It sounds like you know your stuff, so I'll go with the re-format idea as no-one seems to have any easier suggestions.  As a final source of info for you, I've just uploaded the Process Explorer result to my file page:

http://www.alchemyvideo.co.uk/data_files.htm

Thanks again for helping.

• 18. Re: Premiere CS5 - HDV Playback Freezes/Crashes System!
                                            Harm Millaard Level 7

That list looks good. No unnecessary processes loaded with the exception of mDNSresponder, which is one of the by-products of QuiRcktime and can be killed. I suggest you turn off indexing on all your disks. It slows down your system and you don't need the index for all your media files.

• 19. Re: Premiere CS5 - HDV Playback Freezes/Crashes System!
                                              Dave R Smith Level 1

Apologies, I said:

Are your drives all 7200rpm and have you (or your pc builder) tweaked  any settings for the grapics card to do its cuda stuff (e.g. force  recognition of non-compatible drive).

I should have said:

Are your drives all 7200rpm and have you (or your pc builder) tweaked  any settings for the grapics card to do its cuda stuff (e.g. force  recognition of non-compatible graphics card).

If CUDA processing is enabled and you have a CUDA recognised effect applied, (e.g. 'levels') then a yellow rendered bar will appear.

There are only a small number of recognised/tested graphics cards, but it seems the done thing is to 'fix' other high spec nvidia cards, via a small edit, which is documented on several youtube videoes.

If you had the CUDA option applied, you could switch the 'software only' rendering option, but as problem is on CS3 too, that now seems accademic.

(I didn't realise pre CS5 version would sit on 64bit system. Thats's handy so I can put up my CS2 in win7 pro 64 bit, for legacy projects).

I'm no expert on RAID systems, but have read of them (or their particular configuraion) causing problems with NLE's, so if you can, it's worth copying a sample source file to internal 'regular' drive, disconnect raid (if safe to do so), check settings for temp files point to same as project etc and are all set to internal drives with free space and try again. It may not be RAID, but without testing, it can't be ruled out.

Perhaps take test clip, drag to time line, do not play it, but add an effect to it - say 'Brightness & contrast' with extreme settings so it's obviosly different to source, then export it as avi, without playing it or scrubbing cursor.

This export, unlike 'play' will mean that data does not have to be read through in realtime.

If it works, it implies it's happy with codec, how to decompress it for editing/exporting and implies it's an issue in coping with processing data in real time.

Please confirm drives are all >=7200rpm.

HTH

• 20. Re: Premiere CS5 - HDV Playback Freezes/Crashes System!
                                                Harm Millaard Level 7

Dave, had you taken a look at the published DXDIAG.txt file, you would have known the answer to your question.

• 21. Re: Premiere CS5 - HDV Playback Freezes/Crashes System!
                                                  alchemyvideo Level 1

Dave, thanks.  I've ruled out RAID.  That's all checked out (see my original post - I'd already switched drives). They're all 7200 anyway.

I'm interested in your last paragraph about the export test, but I've now unistalled the program following Harm's advice to wipe the entire system.  If the complete re-build doesn't work, I'll move on to your test idea.

Thanks, Paul

• 22. Re: Premiere CS5 - HDV Playback Freezes/Crashes System!
                                                    Dave R Smith Level 1

>Dave, had you taken a look at the published DXDIAG.txt file, you would have known the answer to your question.

I understood this was an open thread, contributing new thoughts to an unresolved problems as a fellow user, for Pauls benefit.

I do not work for Adobe,and do not have time to read everything.

I have now read the link, but can't see what I missed.

The 7200rpm reference was in context of the RAID, I can't see reference to internal drive speeds.

Finger crossed Paul.

• 23. Re: Premiere CS5 - HDV Playback Freezes/Crashes System!
                                                      Harm Millaard Level 7

Dave,

I understood this was an open thread, contributing new thoughts to an unresolved problems as a fellow user, for Pauls benefit.

It is.

I do not work for Adobe,and do not have time to read everything.

I have now read the link, but can't see what I missed.

What about this:

------------------------
                                                      Disk & DVD/CD-ROM Drives
                                                      ------------------------
                                                            Drive: C:
                                                      Free Space: 292.4 GB
                                                      Total Space: 476.8 GB
                                                      File System: NTFS
                                                            Model: Hitachi HDS721050CLA362 ATA Device

Drive: E:
                                                      Free Space: 937.3 GB
                                                      Total Space: 953.9 GB
                                                            Model: WDC WD1002FAEX-00Z3A0 ATA Device

Drive: F:
                                                      Free Space: 557.1 GB
                                                      Total Space: 953.9 GB
                                                            Model: WD My Book IEEE 1394 SBP2 Device

Looks to me everything is spelled out for you.

Personally, I appreciate your efforts to help, but it would be beneficial to read the information supplied to avoid clutter and confusion.

• 24. Re: Premiere CS5 - HDV Playback Freezes/Crashes System!
                                                        Todd_Kopriva Level 8

> Before I go to such extreme measures though, I should tell you that Adobe tech installed the Codec pack when they were trying to solve the problem (ah, those were the days).

I need to know more about that. Please send me the case number for the interaction that you had with Adobe Technical Support during which someone told you to install this codec pack. I need to reinforce the training regarding these codec packs.

My email address is kopriva at adobe dot com.

Harm is correct about how damaging these codec packs very often are, especially K-Lite.

• 25. Re: Premiere CS5 - HDV Playback Freezes/Crashes System!
                                                          alchemyvideo Level 1

Hi Todd,

Yes that's most worrying and I have to say, typical of the appalling level of service I have received from Adobe tech support (India) since this issue occured.

My case number is 0182041733.  So far, I have dealt with Deepak, Riaz, Sunny, Sundeep and Avinash.  I can't be sure who it was that told me to install the codecs, but hopefully there will be a record of that within the case history.  I am fairly sure, but not certain, it was Sundeep.

Regards, Paul

• 26. Re: Premiere CS5 - HDV Playback Freezes/Crashes System!
                                                            Dave R Smith Level 1

Reply for Harm:

Well I see no mention of speed and don't know if these are the RAID drives.

>Looks to me everything is spelled out for you.

Evidently not.

I seem to have upset you in some way, however my input is intended for Paul.

• 27. Re: Premiere CS5 - HDV Playback Freezes/Crashes System!
                                                              Harm Millaard Level 7

Dave,

I did not intend to upset you, but with the model numbers of the disks given, you can easily look them up to see their specs. Admitted, based on model number only, it would take a nerd to instantly recognize them as 7200 RPM disks, but the information is available.

• 28. Re: Premiere CS5 - HDV Playback Freezes/Crashes System!
                                                                alchemyvideo Level 1

Firstly, Dave and Harm, equal thanks to you both for trying to help me, which is more than I can say for anyone at Adobe.

Harm, I thought you'd cracked it.  Following a clean install of windows, graphics drivers and Premiere updates, one of the 'problem' HDV files managed to play for 23 minutes.  This far exceeds what the system was capable of before, however at this point it caused the entire system to freeze (including the cursor).

What now???!!!  I believe I've tried everything I know of, and it seems everything readers of this thread know of.

Adobe....this is the point where to step in and actually contribute something rather than just avoid the issue like some kind of ignorant, negligent, self-obsessed teenager who can't get his own way.

I don't want to know about meetings you're having with the incompetent idiots who have wasted the last five weeks of my life (and business) unless you are willing to get back to me with an OUTCOME which addresses my problem (not your problem of how your tech support is being delivered). You awknowledge that your tech support staff are poorly trained: Well deal with it but in the meantime, get someone the hell on the phone, or on the email, who knows what the hell they are talking about. 

STEP IN  AND SHOW THE READERS OF THIS FORUM THAT YOU CARE ABOUT MORE THAN JUST SHORT-TERM PROFITS AND LARGE CORPORATE CUSTOMERS.

• 29. Re: Premiere CS5 - HDV Playback Freezes/Crashes System!
                                                                  Harm Millaard Level 7

You have done about everything humanly possible to solve the issue and when not even a fresh install of everything works, it is time to look at BIOS/hardware issues.

Did you change anything the the BIOS from default? Have you run Memtest86+ - Advanced Memory Diagnostic Tool to check that there is no problem with a memory stick? Do tests like Cinebench R10 complete successfully? Does Prime 95 torture test run without problems, or the Linpack v.2.5 complete successfully. See http://www.freewarefiles.com/IntelBurnTest_changelog_46363.html

Sorry for all the questions, but to figure out where the problem is, we need to do some testing.

• 30. Re: Premiere CS5 - HDV Playback Freezes/Crashes System!
                                                                    Jeff Bellune Adobe Community Professional

alchemyvideo,

For what it's worth: you may want to rethink the last part of your post #28.  I'm not saying it's unjustified, I'm just sayin'...

-Jeff

• 31. Re: Premiere CS5 - HDV Playback Freezes/Crashes System!
                                                                      Todd_Kopriva Level 8

Paul,

I responded to you to get your case number and then passed it to some people in our Technical Support department who are more likely to be able to help you. I did this on the same day that you posted your issue. Now, it's only the next day. I don't understand why you are so upset about your experience here.

I do understand why you are upset about the experience that you had with the folks that you interacted with on the phone.

• 32. Re: Premiere CS5 - HDV Playback Freezes/Crashes System!
                                                                        alchemyvideo Level 1

Jeff, You're 'just' saying what exactly?  Six weeks of politeness and patience has now led to shouting.  If you don't understand this, you are an utter fool.  It's very easy to be noble when you're not the victim.  Politeness over now:  It's time for a fight if Adobe insist on forcing me to that place.  I may be a small fish, but with the level of commitment I currently feel, I can do a fair bit of damage over time, I'm sure.  Professionals listen to other professionals, especially when they have hard evidence to justify their case.  I'll be documenting this experience far and wide unless I hear from an Adobe staff member who is willing to try and help.

Harm,  Thanks for the advice.  I've already run memtest86 with no errors and Prime95 with no errors.  I am currently running Furmark and will then be running something from OCBASE, on someone else's advice.  I'll try the ones you mentioned too and will let you know.

I would like to tell you that I've now made a couple of extra observations following the re-install:

1.  Indexing and conforming of long video files is approximately 30 times quicker.  This is obviously a big positive effect.

2.  My system cannot handle HD Quicktime files of any kind, yet it CAN handle SD Quicktime files.  If I try and import professional HD Quicktime MOV files (Stock footage from Footage Firm), I get the message '...no video or audio streams'  - this seems most odd indeed.

3. Short HDV files (up to about 2 minutes in length) now seem to play back fine without any crashes.

The mystery continues...

Regards, Paul

• 33. Re: Premiere CS5 - HDV Playback Freezes/Crashes System!
                                                                          Dave R Smith Level 1

I can only suggest a non adobe nle software(even trial version if hdv compatible) is tested to prove problem is software dependant.

Try playing with task manager open and watch to see if it is working hard on the performance monitor just before crash.

Look at 'event viewer' via control panel to see if any of the sets of logs record an event, or non-general error code that can be searched in google.

Check settings look right in:

Edit/preferences/memory - mine shows 8gig RAM, 1.5 for other apps, 6.5 for adobe apps (aae etc).

Edit/preferences/memory - check these point to valid drives (could be wrong if pref's file was imported from another pc), and not using RAID drives*.

* I still think RAID needs to be disconnected for test, just to eliminate and make everything as 'bread and butter' as possible.

Keep a note as best you can of timecode it crashes on within HDV file.

Check same timepoint in your other pc - if you can on a frame by frame check, to see if it has any bad frames - sometimes found on hdv content, though that shouldn't cause crash.

Try the export I mentioned and if it crashes it may leave the partly built file for inspection to determine which was the exact last frame.

Export an HD sized file from your other pc, using a different codec for the exported version and import/try that on new pc.

OK, some of the tests are 'p*ssing in the wind' but eliminating what it isn't should help focus on what problem is.

HTH

• 34. Re: Premiere CS5 - HDV Playback Freezes/Crashes System!
                                                                            Ann Bens Adobe Community Professional & MVP
                                                                            'problem' HDV files managed to play for 23 minutes.

Sounds like HDD are formatted as FAT32 instead of NTFS.

• 35. Re: Premiere CS5 - HDV Playback Freezes/Crashes System!
                                                                              alchemyvideo Level 1

Todd,  I'm not a mindreader.  If you have done something to try and help, you need to tell me or I'll still be angry.

Given that you've now said you tried to do something, thank you.  I still haven't heard from anyone you spoke to though.

• 36. Re: Premiere CS5 - HDV Playback Freezes/Crashes System!
                                                                                alchemyvideo Level 1

Ann, Thanks but that's not the case.  Hard drives have been ruled out. I have tried several now.

Formatting is correct, drive speed is fine.

Dave, Most of what you said has been looked at but I haven't tried a non-adobe NLE.  Before I do that, I'm fully stressing all my hardware to see what happens.  (If only I could transfer my own stress to the machine - that would test it!)

• 37. Re: Premiere CS5 - HDV Playback Freezes/Crashes System!
                                                                                  Jeff Bellune Adobe Community Professional

Paul,

Let's do a role-playing exercise.  I'm going to pretend to be an overworked (budget cuts and downsizing!) Adobe employee who is responsible for helping many customers with tech support.  I have a stack of paper on my desk, organized into individual issue folders that need to be resolved, and probably by personal contact.  I read one from a customer who wrote a letter to my boss.  The letter says they're at their wits' end, and are desperate for help.  It outlines who they've talked to, and even includes posts from the forum that were written while troubleshooting.  The tone of everything is civil, but firm.

Now I get to another person's folder, and the initial issue description starts off civil enough, but by the end of the report, things had degenerated into swearing, insults and rage.

I have time to help one more person today.  It's been a long day and I'm tired.  Who do you think I'm going to help?

(the question is rhetorical)

Best of luck,

-Jeff

• 38. Re: Premiere CS5 - HDV Playback Freezes/Crashes System!
                                                                                    alchemyvideo Level 1

Jeff,

It's amazing how people like you come out of the woodwork when there's an argument to be had.

In response, try this for a role play:  Stop whinging - you're lucky to be in a job at all. Imagine you're self employed.  Guess what, no-one automatically gives you a cheque every month.  How do you feed your kids now?  What do you do when your new professional equipment doesn't work and the company you bought it from are interested in nothing but starting an argument?  They don't answer or call you back.  They lie.  They have ignored your 'softly, softly' professional and patient approach.  Suddenly, stable employment of any kind sounds good doesn't it?

The final part of your role play:  Take your rhetorical questions and F**k off.

Realise that actually, you can't blackmail customers. Actually, you're a nobody like the rest of us.

Now if it's ok with you, I'll just get on and try and solve this problem.

• 39. Re: Premiere CS5 - HDV Playback Freezes/Crashes System!
                                                                                      Harm Millaard Level 7

Paul,

Your reaction to Jeff is unfair IMO. Jeff does a lot of good work here, and remember, he is not on Adobe's payroll, he is a volunteer and spends lots of time helping others with his vast knowledge and expertise.

I can understand your frustration and the bind you may be in, but generally you achieve more with honey than with vinegar.

Your specific problem is hard to pinpoint, maybe that is one of the reasons Adobe did not get back to you in 5 minutes time. For all who respond here, they are all users, like you, and they try to help others in their spare time, but they lack several things. They are not familiar with the intrinsic working of PR, that is closely guarded, they do not have direct access to your system, they can only read what you write, not what you do or have done.

If you accept the fact that people here try to help in their free time if they feel they have possible solutions and show appreciation for their effort, instead of going back to blaming Adobe for their TS, which does not help you at all, but some may consider ranting or venting, you may get more and better qualified people interested to help you. Casting blame or mouthing off, most of the time does not get you the help you are seeking.

Let me know how you get on with your efforts.

1 2 Previous Next