19 Replies Latest reply on Feb 28, 2011 8:11 AM by the_wine_snob

Premier Elements 9 and Canon HV20

Notsea

Hi

Just installed a copy of Premier elements 9 onto a new laptop and when I capture footage in HD 1080i the captured footage is pixalated with green pixals.  When I import using same cable and port in Standard def the caputed footage is fine.

Any clues as to what I am doing wrong/

Many thanks

Graham

Morecambe

Lancashire

• 1. Re: Premier Elements 9 and Canon HV20
          Steve Grisetti Adobe Community Professional

Hard to say without knowing more.

When you set up your Premiere Elements project, did you set it up for HDV video? Did you use Premiere Elements to capture your video over FireWire?

Have you ensured you have the latest version of Quicktime? Have you gone to the nVidia or ATI web sites and downloaded the latest firmware?

Have you tried this?

http://forums.adobe.com/thread/769303?tstart=0

• 2. Re: Premier Elements 9 and Canon HV20
            Notsea Level 1

Hi

Yes I set the project to HD 1080i and used a firewire to connect the camera which was set to HDV/DV output

Laptop is a new Dell Studio with an ATI Radeon HF565v display adapter

I will check on the latest quick time version

Many thanks

Graham

• 3. Re: Premier Elements 9 and Canon HV20
              Notsea Level 1

Hi Steve

Downloaded latest drivers and Quicktime but I notice that my copy although purchased from Amazon last week is version 9.0 and when I try to go to the update I am told the the update server is down try later.  I will leave it for a few hours and try again

many thanks

Graham

• 4. Re: Premier Elements 9 and Canon HV20
                Steve Grisetti Adobe Community Professional

Again, please be specific about the project settings you selected for your Premiere Elements project.

There are a number 1080i project presets -- but only the HDV preset will interface with this camcorder's hi-def footage!

• 5. Re: Premier Elements 9 and Canon HV20
                  nealeh Level 5

Notsea wrote:

I notice that my copy although purchased from Amazon last week is version 9.0

Do you mean that your copy of PRE is v9 or some other component? If you do mean PRE then you can use this direct download link for the 9.0.1 patch. http://download.adobe.com/pub/adobe/premiereel/win/9.x/AdobePremiereElements_901.zip.

Cheers,
                  --
                  Neale
                  Insanity is hereditary, you get it from your children

• 6. Re: Premier Elements 9 and Canon HV20
                    Notsea Level 1

Hi

Yes copy was Premier Elements 9.0 and I have now downlowed and installed the 9.01 version.  This has not solved the capture problem though.

Many thank for your help

Graham

• 7. Re: Premier Elements 9 and Canon HV20
                      Notsea Level 1

Hi Steve

Camera is set to export HDV

Premier Elements has now been updated to version 9.01

Graphics drivers are now updated to current version.

project is set to:

PAL   HDV   HDV1080i 25

Machine was re-booted and I started to capture again using firewire (small plug)

The problem still exists ie half of the frame ie bottom half is covered in various amounts of green blocks

Camera works fine on my main machine using premier CS3 in HDV capture mode.

Interestingly I have just downloaded a copy of Magix and I notice that I am getting horizontal glitches and square artifacts in the captured video but no where near as bad as with Premier

Laptop is a Dell Studio xps with windows 7 professional installed 8gb memory and the drive is a 7200rpm drive

I am coming to the conclussion that the graphics card is not compatible with Elements working in HD although it works fine in standard definition.

Many thanks

Graham

• 8. Re: Premier Elements 9 and Canon HV20
                        Notsea Level 1

Hi Steve

Sorry to be a pest but I have just tried to capture using the inbuilt web

cam into premier elements and that works fine.

Graham

If you forward this, PLEASE REMOVE ALL email addresses before you send it

on, (use only the "Bcc" box area to add email addresses when forwarding to

your friends). BE KIND AND KEEP THEIR ADDRESSES SAFE

• 9. Re: Premier Elements 9 and Canon HV20
                          nealeh Level 5

I'd be inclined to check your FireWire cables and card. Possibly one or both may be faulty.

Cheers,
                          --
                          Neale

• 10. Re: Premier Elements 9 and Canon HV20
                            the_wine_snob Level 9

Graham,

With Wiin7, please take a look at this ARTICLE, as there is a documented issue with the default installed FW driver.

This would be my first suspect, and then the cable, and then either the connectoin for FW at the computer end, or the camera end.

Good luck,

Hunt

• 11. Re: Premier Elements 9 and Canon HV20
                              Notsea Level 1

Hi Bill

Checked the driver this morning and installed a legacy one but  it has made no differance to the quality of the captured footage. The quality of the film captured in SD is fine it just the HD capture that has green blocks over mainly the bottom half of the film.

I have also checked the connections and moved the plugs around but the artifacts appearing on the footage do not appear to relate directly to the movement of the plugs.

I have put a technical query into both Dell (machine has an i7 chip) and also Adobe to see if there is a compatabillity issue.

Many thanks

Graham

• 12. Re: Premier Elements 9 and Canon HV20
                                the_wine_snob Level 9

Graham,

Do you have a different cable that you could try?

Good luck, and hope that either Dell, or Adobe will have a fix for you. If so, pliease update this thread with that fix.

Hunt

• 13. Re: Premier Elements 9 and Canon HV20
                                  rdnelson Level 2

Try to capture the steam with HDVSplit.  I have the Canon HV20 and always capture with HDVSplit because it will automatically create clips by examining the timecode on the tape.  In addition, the clips are named with the date and time of the actual clip.  This may help you eliminate any PrE specific issues.

With HDVSplit you can also open a preview window during the capture.  If the same artifacts appear in this preview window as what you see in PrE then you have issues other than PrE. 

Also, did you check to see if the artifacts appear when you play back and watch via the HDMI connector or camcorder display?

• 14. Re: Premier Elements 9 and Canon HV20
                                    rdnelson Level 2

Just for grins I tried to capture directly from the HV20 into PrE instead of going through HDVSplit.  Capture worked without issue so I don't think there is a compatability problem between the camcorder and PrE.  NOTE: my HV20 is NTSC and not PAL.

You may want to attempt to capture from the camcorder without a tape to further isolate the issue.  This can be done by putting the camcorder in camera mode and simply capturing the footage.  If this works and the tape capture does not then there is an issue with tape playback.  If the non-tape and tape capture don't work then you either have an issue with the camera or the setup/hardware on your computer.  It would be worth while to try to connect the camcorder to another computer.

• 15. Re: Premier Elements 9 and Canon HV20
                                      Notsea Level 1

Hi

Thanks for your email.  After talking to a technical chap at Dell yesterday for an hour during which time he had connected to my computer to check out all the settings the conclussion is that the firewire connection built into the machine is too slow ie 100mbps second for HD capture.  This accounted for why standard definition captured OK and HD had artifacts .

I knew the footage and the camera were OK as I had also captured the footage on to my main editing computer using premier CS3 and narrowed it down to the capture after importing a previously captured clip from a seperate drive.

Dell have shipped an express bus card which has a higher speed of data transfer so hopefully that will cure the problem.

I must say that the support from DELL was superb

Many thanks to you all for your help and I will let you know how I go on when the card arrives.

Graham

• 16. Re: Premier Elements 9 and Canon HV20
                                        the_wine_snob Level 9

Graham,

Interesting findings. That gives me something to think about in the future.

Thank you for reporting the work done by Dell, as that is likely to help others in the future. Hope that the ExpressCard works like a charm for you. Please update, when you have had time to test it.

Good luck,

Hunt

• 17. Re: Premier Elements 9 and Canon HV20
                                          Notsea Level 1

Hi To you all

New Express card arrived this morning and fitted in to laptop.  Result is that I can now capture HD footage from my Canon HV20 into Premier Elements 9.

Must say the support from DELL has been superb

Many thanks again to you all for your suggestions and I hope this information may assist some one else in the future.

Graham Easton

• 18. Re: Premier Elements 9 and Canon HV20
                                            nealeh Level 5

Great - and thanks for posting back the results. We see quite a few Dell owners coming here with problems and what has worked for you may work for them. Now you're up and running enjoy using this fantastic program.

Congrats to Dell also, it's good to hear of their response - all too often supplier support is highly criticised so it's nice to have the opposite.

Cheers,
                                            --
                                            Neale

• 19. Re: Premier Elements 9 and Canon HV20
                                              the_wine_snob Level 9

Graham,

There are many issues with Dell computers lately, but, as in your case, it seems that Dell is stepping up and setting things right.

Good news,

Hunt