20 Replies Latest reply on Feb 27, 2011 6:42 PM by the_wine_snob

Adding Voice Overs

dmikula

When my students are trying to add audio to another track, suddenl

y it comes up with an error stating that something on the timeline was turned off, but I

can't see any changes that were made from our last class when we were successful in recording voice overs with a mic. An

y help would be great. I am obviously very new to the program and we

are trying to learn it together as we go. If anyone knows of any great resources out there to help with basic functions. I would appreciate a heads up. We are jumping from moviemaker and imovie into CS5. Big jump to say the least!

• 1. Re: Adding Voice Overs
          Jim_Simon Level 8

The Help file is an excellent and free resource to help with basic as well as advanced functions.  Follow the instructions in there for this operation.

• 2. Re: Adding Voice Overs
            the_wine_snob Level 9

Welcome to the forum.

What is the exact text in that error/warning message? Does it give any detail, as to what is "turned off?"

Just a guess, but my first thought is that the desired Audio Track (say Audio 2) is not Targeted. That would be where I would start. By clicking on the Track Header, you will see it change shades, and that will indicate that it is Targeted. Then, one should be able to record Audio to it.

Note: PrPro has issues with many USB mics. Some work, but some just do not. Are you using a USB device to record? If so, it might, or might not work. Be sure to check the hardware settings, and all OS settings for the mic., to make sure that nothing there is amiss. Then test. Remember, some USB devices do work, but some just do not.

Good luck,

Hunt

• 3. Re: Adding Voice Overs
              dmikula Level 1

I appreciate you getting back to me. My student wrote out the error word for word and she took it with her to do some research on it, but I will try to track it down. I know it mentioned something about the audio for a clip in the timeline being turned off so we could not record. We were successful in recording audio the last class and we hadn’t changed anything, so I am not sure what happened there. I will email you back when I get the message from her. I will try the track header trick to see if that solves the issue.

This program is exciting as far the abilities it has, but it is not the easiest thing to jump into on the run, learning as you go.

Daniel

• 4. Re: Adding Voice Overs
                Jim_Simon Level 8

Which is precisely why you (and your students) should read the Help file first.  Start at the beginning, and go in sequence.  Try each new thing as you learn it.  Look up any words you do not fully understand.

• 5. Re: Adding Voice Overs
                  Todd_Kopriva Level 8

In addition to the Premiere Pro Help document, we provide some other getting-started resources. See this page.

• 6. Re: Adding Voice Overs
                    the_wine_snob Level 9
                    it mentioned something about the audio for a clip in the timeline being turned off so we could not record.

In the Audio Track Header, is the "speaker" visible for the desired Track, and is it selected, i.e. Targeted?

Is that Audio Track Enabled?

In Window>Audio Mixer, is that Audio Track Muted?

Good luck,

Hunt

• 7. Re: Adding Voice Overs
                      the_wine_snob Level 9

Here is a look at the Audio Track Header and also an inset of the Audio Mixer, showing the Music Track (Renamed in my example). This is from PrPro 2.0, but will be very similar in CS5. The items to check are annotated.

Audio_Track_Header.png

Good luck,

Hunt

• 8. Re: Adding Voice Overs
                        dmikula Level 1

That did it. Thanks a bunch. I have to print out the help file and read it. Unfortunately, the software was thrown at me midway through the school year and they expected me to integrate it asap due to the expense. I feel like I just walked into a dark room with the light switch on the opposite side of the room.

Thanks for your help!

Daniel

• 9. Re: Adding Voice Overs
                          the_wine_snob Level 9

Glad that it helped.

I feel like I just walked into a dark room with the light switch on the opposite side of the room.

Sounds like they also placed a bunch of chairs in that dark room, in random places!!!

Good luck,

Hunt

• 10. Re: Adding Voice Overs
                            dmikula Level 1

So you understand how things work around here. At least I am having fun trying to figure things out. I really look forward to getting a handle on this program, it seems like it has some great features.

• 11. Re: Adding Voice Overs
                              the_wine_snob Level 9

I could not agree more. I always have fun with PrPro, and almost always learn something new each day.

Good luck, and watch out for those chairs!

Hunt

• 12. Re: Adding Voice Overs
                                Jim_Simon Level 8
                                I feel like I just walked into a dark room with the light switch on the opposite side of the room.

That's because you went in the wrong door.  You don't try using software of this complexity before learning how, you learn how first (by reading the Help file) and then try using it.

It's always easier navigating with the lights on.  You just need to use the other door.

• 13. Re: Adding Voice Overs
                                  dmikula Level 1

Thanks for the feedback Jim. Life is always perfect isn't it?!

If only I was given the time to sit and read the help document ahead of time. I do thank you for your constructive criticisms though.

• 14. Re: Adding Voice Overs
                                    Mitch W Adobe Employee

...and this is why Bill is the king. Awesome job, Bill!

• 15. Re: Adding Voice Overs
                                      shooternz Level 6

yep... nice job Bill.

Hey Jim...maybe you can explain to the OP how to give Bill the points for his efforts.

• 16. Re: Adding Voice Overs
                                        the_wine_snob Level 9

Hey, careful guys. I'm either gonna' start blushing, or have to declare "wine-thirty" early, to celebrate...

Hunt

• 17. Re: Adding Voice Overs
                                          Jim_Simon Level 8

If only I was given the time

Hey man, whatever your considerations about time, the fact remains that your job will be easier if you do read the Help file first.  That's all I'm trying to say.

• 18. Re: Adding Voice Overs
                                            dmikula Level 1

Totally agree and plan on doing so once the summer hits, but I don't see the light at the end of the tunnel until then. I wasn't trying to be rude with my reply....seems like some took it that way. I am just thankful for any help I can get to help the kids make sense of things if even on a basic level right now. I owe it to them to make the best of the situation and you guys are the ones who are able to help. For that I am incredibly appreciative.

Cheers Jim!

• 19. Re: Adding Voice Overs
                                              shooternz Level 6

Asking a reasonable question here when you are under pressure is as valid as looking at the manual.

Its all learning ...and the pursuit of knowledge knows no bounds.

• 20. Re: Adding Voice Overs
                                                the_wine_snob Level 9

Jim,

Do not worry about the asking of questions. Not all of us live in a perfect world, and sometimes we must just fight through, until time permits us to make things better. "Stuff" happens, and a stong person does the best they can, whith what they have. Perfect? No. But, if it gets one by, until things get better, then all is good. "That, which does not kill us, makes us stronger."

Here's to good luck with your endeavor. Should you have any questions along the way, please feel welcome to drop by, and we'll try our best to help you out. After all, each was new to video editing at one time, or another, and we were also new to Premiere, at one time, or another. Some learned in advanced academic programs, some by reading the manual (the "good old days") many times, and others by being tossed into the fire, and finding the cooler stones to walk on. It's often different. No shame, and the end result is all that matters.

Good luck,

Hunt