3 Replies Latest reply on Feb 23, 2011 9:39 AM by gretailia

Importing Pro Res files or HD QuickTime Files

gretailia

Is there a procedure for importing files made in FCP 7.02.  In many instances I do not have the FCP XML. I just want to import the edited self contained QuickTime File.?

Does one have to set up the sequence first?  Is there no automatic process here where Premier recognizes what it has got and offers to adjust the Sequence accordingly.

In another instance, I have been working on a template tutorial from Precomposed.com. This is a wedding DVD Blue Ray template with Premier, AE and Encore components.

In one part of the tutorial for the project it tells you to import huge QuickTime Animation Files into Premier or FCP which were produced by After Effects. While Premier CS5 does a good job of playing back a 6.5 GB 1 minute file, it does not recognize the resolution automatically and so I find the video looking like 4.3.

What is the procedure here. The file is 1920 x 1080 QuickTime Animation with 48Khz stereo sound.

I do not want to change this file because it is deliberately made huge to look good for compression in Blu Ray, but I do want to manipulate it with others on the same time line so I get an idea of how music will sound with the different clips.

• 1. Re: Importing Pro Res files or HD QuickTime Files
          Colin Brougham Level 6
          I just want to import the edited self contained QuickTime File.?

So just import them; nothing special needs to be done. Both Windows and Mac will import ProRes QuickTimes.

Does one have to set up the sequence first?  Is there no automatic process here where Premier recognizes what it has got and offers to adjust the Sequence accordingly.

Nope, just import the clips. Then, you can drag one of the clips to the New Item button at the bottom of the Project Panel (looks like a dog-eared sheet of paper) and a new sequence will be created that matches the parameters of the footage.

While Premier CS5 does a good job of playing back a 6.5 GB 1 minute file, it does not recognize the resolution automatically and so I find the video looking like 4.3.

What is the procedure here. The file is 1920 x 1080 QuickTime Animation with 48Khz stereo sound.

Any time you have a file that isn't being interpreted correctly, just right-click/Cmd-click on it and select Modify > Interpret Footage. You'll want to look at the Pixel Aspect Ratio section, but there are several properties that you can adjust here, if needed.

1 person found this helpful
          • 2. Re: Importing Pro Res files or HD QuickTime Files
            gretailia Level 1

Thanks!

Works like a charm and I am able to view everything through my matrox HDMi connection!  If I now save this file, and export it,  does it get changed or does it retain all its original properties?

• 3. Re: Importing Pro Res files or HD QuickTime Files
              Jim_Simon Level 8

That will depend entirely on the export settings you choose.