6 Replies Latest reply on Feb 23, 2011 1:23 PM by the_wine_snob

Help with Quicktime Render

drmz2004

I am trying to render out a very simple Quicktime Movie (.mov) and each time, using various settings I have either choppy audio or out of sync audio.

I have taken an original .mov video file and imported new audio to replace the original audio and then I try to render out the file to a new .mov file.

The specs of the original .mov are: (straight video clip from a Flip camera)

1280x720

3306 data rate

3434 total bitrate

29 frames per second (this is what my Windows 7 properties dialog tells me it is, but I suspect it is really 29.97)

Audio is an imported .wav file (replacing the original camera audio)

48kHz 16 bit .wav

I have set the render to personal computer settings to

Quicktime - Lan and modified the settings using the Advanced tab to

h.264

1280x720

3434 bitrate

29.97 fps

audio: AAC, 48kHz

Running Premiere Elements 8

Windows 7

Intel Duo Core 2.20 Ghz

4 Gigs Ram

Any help greatly appreciated.

• 1. Re: Help with Quicktime Render
          Steve Grisetti Adobe Community Professional

When you started your Premiere Elements project, which settings did you select? There is a preset specifically made for working with Flip video.

As I say in my books, selecting the correct project preset is even more important than choosing the correct output preset, when it comes your video's quality.

Also, what are you outputting your video for? Display online? In a portable device, like an iPod? That will help to determine the ideal output settings you should be using.

• 2. Re: Help with Quicktime Render
            drmz2004 Level 1

I chose the HDV 720p, 29.97 preset Steve.

My choices for NTSC are:

AVCHD

DV

Hard Disk, Flash Memory Camcorders

HDV

and each one of those has various choices within them for Standard, Widescreen, and other options

I do not see a Flip camera choice but I maybe the Hard Disk, Flash Memory project setting would be a better alternative?? The best sub choice under that heading would be widescreen 48kHz, but the frame size is only 720x480 on that...

??

• 3. Re: Help with Quicktime Render
              drmz2004 Level 1

oh and the output is probably designed for upload to Youtube and maybe website display - but here's the catch with that - the client just wanted me to work on the audio portion of the clip, to do some basic eq work on it and send it back for whatever uses they might have for it, so essentially they sent me the video with audio, I swapped out the audio track for an enhanced version of the audio and then I want to send the file back to then as lossless as possible for them to do with it what they want.

• 4. Re: Help with Quicktime Render
                the_wine_snob Level 9

Many users of PrPro (PrE's "big brother"), have experienced OOS issues with MOV files, Exported with Apple's QT H.264 CODEC. For many, moving to either the Lead, or MainConcept H.264 has cleared those up. Might be worth looking into.

And it appears that you are on PrE 8. I could be mistaken, but I thought the Flip camera Preset was added in PrE 9.0. I am sure that Steve will either correct me, or confirm that.

Good luck,

Hunt

• 5. Re: Help with Quicktime Render
                  drmz2004 Level 1

Thanks, I'll try those other h.264 options.

I'm guessing the Flip project setting was added in 9. I don't see it in 8.

Good to hear others have the same problem. I go crazy thinking it's one little setting I'm missing somewhere, but it's probably not.

• 6. Re: Help with Quicktime Render
                    the_wine_snob Level 9
                    Good to hear others have the same problem. I go crazy thinking it's one little setting I'm missing somewhere, but it's probably not.

While that can not be ruled out with certainty, there have been enough similar reports, and from a similar NLE program, that it is certainly a possibility. My guess is that there is something in the QT H.264 on the PC, that is just not 100%. I do not recall any Mac-users having those same OOS issues, or if they have, they've not posted of them in the PrPro forum. I cannot say that the other CODEC's will cure the problem, but for a majority of PrPro users, they have. Seem to recall a few users, who found no good solution, but enough have, that I made note.

Good luck,

Hunt