10 Replies Latest reply on Mar 3, 2011 7:49 AM by the_wine_snob

Black Spots in Premiere Elements 9 playback disk

Bedford Financial

Hi:  I have recently updated my Premiere Elements 4 to 9 and love the program and the new features the program provides.  However, I have created my new movie and when I burn the project to disk, I keep getting some video clips that come out black.  I have full audio and any text I have inserted still plays but the video runs black.  I have used the same camera for all of the pictures and video clips and all of the settings throughout the project are the same.  They are usually the same ones all the time although one of them will sometimes be fine and not other times.  Out of all of the clips i have used I have 3 - 4 that I am having problems with.  I have updated everything I can think of, defraged my computer, turned off everything I know how to and still I have no luck.

If you have any suggestions of what I can do with this I would greatly appreciate it!

Thanks,

Sue

• 1. Re: Black Spots in Premiere Elements 9 playback disk
          the_wine_snob Level 9

Sue,

Welcome to the forum.

Are these Clips, the ones that Export/Share as black, stills, video, or a combo of each?

If they are stills, what are the pixel x pixel dimensions of those stills? This commonly happens, when the still images are overly-large.

If video, can you tell us what the full details of those source Clips are?

Also, what is different about the ones that show as black vs the ones that display properly? Maybe an Effect added to the "problem" Clips?

What is your Project Preset?

Good luck, and glad that otherwise, you are enjoying PrE 9.0. There should be an easy fix for this problem.

Hunt

• 2. Re: Black Spots in Premiere Elements 9 playback disk
            Bedford Financial Level 1

Hu Hunt!  I am so pleased to hear from you.  The disk is a look back on an equestrian year.  All the clips are of our team members jumping their horses in competition.  It is only a small  number of the video's that are doing this to me and the only effect I have applied to all of the clips is the stabilizer.

Sorry to sound like a dumby but I don't know  what my project preset is.....  I have not changed anything I just started inserting photos and video.  There is nothing different about the clips. They were all taken on my camera in the same type of setting.  None are of different length than others and I can see them on the preview they just burn black.

Everyone is so excited to see this disk - Help!  I am going to attempt to set it up to burn at highest quality this weekend and see if this helps.  I have not done this yet as I can't tie up my computer for days to render it.  If you have any suggestions I would love to hear them.  I have even tried to reinsert the clip and see if that made any difference - it didn't.  I also sometimes have a different one slip in that comes up black and think it is just a rendering issue.

Let me know what you think ok?

And yes! Really love the program.  Easy to use and the new effects are fantastic!  A pleasant suprise.

Sue

• 3. Re: Black Spots in Premiere Elements 9 playback disk

Hi Hunt - me again. My clips are all MOV.mpg's

• 4. Re: Black Spots in Premiere Elements 9 playback disk
                the_wine_snob Level 9

Sue,

Unless it's been moved in PrE 9, you can click on Edit>Project Settings>General, to see what the attributes ofthe chosen Preset are.

I would also download and install the great, free utility, G-SPOT, and run one of the good Clips, and then one of the bad Clips through it - just drag from Windows Explorer/My Computer to the G-Spot window, and look at the specs. Do you see anything different? Can you post a screen-cap of the G-Spot screen, with one of the bad files loaded?

Also, is it correct that your stills have been Scaled to match your Project's Frame Size?

Good luck,

Hunt

• 5. Re: Black Spots in Premiere Elements 9 playback disk

Hi:

My settings are set at:

Frame size 720 horizontal 480 vert

pixel aspect ration  Di/dv ntsc (0.9091)

Fields:  lower field first

Displlay format 20 fps  Drop fram timecode

Title safe Area 20 % horizontal 20% vert

Action safe area 10% horizontal 10% vert.

I haven't done anything to my stills but they look fine.

I will download that utility and see if I can see any problems or differences.  I'm not really sure if the files are bad.  They can be watched on the computer when I play back the project but it is certainly worth a try.

• 6. Re: Black Spots in Premiere Elements 9 playback disk
                    the_wine_snob Level 9

Sue,

This line confuses me a bit:

They can be watched on the computer when I play back the project but it is certainly worth a try.

Do you mean that these files will playback correctly from the Timeline, or that they play fine in an AV player software?

If they do play fine on the Timeline, do they go black on Export/Share?

Thanks for the clarification, and good luck,

Hunt

• 8. Re: Black Spots in Premiere Elements 9 playback disk
                      00 sean

thanks for all your help guys, I'm done now, so please take me out of this

loop.

Thanks again, 00 sean.

• 9. Re: Black Spots in Premiere Elements 9 playback disk
                        the_wine_snob Level 9

thanks for all your help guys, I'm done now, so please take me out of this loop.

Sean,

I am not following you here. Are you getting e-mail notifications from the forum, and want those to stop?

If so, take a look at this ARTICLE.

Good luck,

Hunt

• 10. Re: Black Spots in Premiere Elements 9 playback disk
                          the_wine_snob Level 9

Sean,

It looks like you tried to reply via e-mail, and your POP client did not post the text of your message.

It also appears that you might have two different Adobe Accounts. If that is the case, see the last reply in the article that I linked to above. It will take work from Adobe-Admin to fix that, and clear one of your accounts. You will want to post to the Adobe Forum Comments forum, to get that done.

Good luck,

Hunt