4 Replies Latest reply on Feb 23, 2011 4:03 PM by Iqarus

Premiere Elements 9 - Output Video not matching source frame size

Iqarus

I am using Premiere Elements 9. My source footage is 1080i 1920x1080. While editing I have no issues at all, everything lines up. The video is 38 minutes long. I'm using the SHARE option and the COMPUTER subset, with a custom preset for the export for low bandwidth data streaming (<800kbps). The final result is a 38 minutes long video that's just over 150MB in size. It plays back just fine, quality is what I'd expect it to be for that size, but here's the issue...

There are 2 black vertical strips on the right and left edges of the playback. The original video is fine, these strips are actually adding on. The editing frame size and the export frame size are set to 640x360 which I believe is close to the youtube default size. It feels like the exported video actually makes it more like 720x360, and to make up for this lost space, it renders area on the left and right of the video, which, while editing, was hidden. So what we get is this 'behind the scenes' areas in which I can see titles flying in and out which normally you shouldn't see, etc.

Additionally, a few frames have had objects in them which are part of the time lines, shifted right or left by roughly 100px.

So that's where I'm at, looking for whatever assistance / suggestions you guys have.

Thanks,

• 1. Re: Premiere Elements 9 - Output Video not matching source frame size
          the_wine_snob Level 9

To make sure that I am following correctly, you are Importing 1920 x 1080 videos with square pixels, PAR - 1.0, into a 640 x 360 Project, with an unstated PAR. Is that correct?

The editing frame size and the export frame size are set to 640x360 which I believe is close to the youtube default size.

How are you handling the down-rezzing from HD to less than SD?

Where did the Frame Size of 640 x 360 come from?

Maybe I am just confused, and something else is happening?

Good luck,

Hunt

• 2. Re: Premiere Elements 9 - Output Video not matching source frame size
            Iqarus Level 1

I can't answer yes or not confidently, so I'll walk through what I'm seeing.

Project Settings > General, indicate Video Frame Size 1920x1080, square pixels 1.0.

When I edit in the timeline and drag and drop new clips, I have them all set to default scale to frame size. Additionally, anything I create in photoshop I save on a 640x360 canvass so I'm using the same baseline size for everything, that way I know where it will all end up when I bring it into elements.

When I share, I'm then choosing the following settings:

Windows Media > Email and Playback on a PC

Presets: custom

Video frame: 640x360

Rate 29.97fps

Pixel aspect ratio NTSC Widescreen 16:9 (1.2121).

The rest shouldn't affect it. Now that I'm typing that out I see a discrepency. The source pixel ratio is square, while the output I'm trying to make is widescreen. That may have some negative effects. I'm going to change the output to a square pixel and re-produce (which will take upwards of an hour) and try that.

Aside from the pixels, does my info above answer your other questions? Do you see any other issues with what I'm doing?

• 3. Re: Premiere Elements 9 - Output Video not matching source frame size
              Iqarus Level 1

That turned out to be the issue. The conflict between source pixel size being square and output pixel size trying to be forced into widescreen. Everything lines up great now.

Much appreciated for your questions, they lead me to re-examine my steps which ultimately lead to the solution.

Thanks again,

• 4. Re: Premiere Elements 9 - Output Video not matching source frame size
                the_wine_snob Level 9

With that 1920 x 1080 Project, I would expect that your source footage for Video is 1920 x 1080. Is it? If so, you should not need to Scale to Default Frame Size.

For the stills, I would Scale them in PS/PSE to 1920 x 1080 w/ PAR = 1.0 (square pixels), so no Scaling would be necessary there either. The quality will be much better, than letting PrE Scale up, as the algorithms in PS/PSE are much better.

As for the issue with the Export PAR, that is likely a contributing factor.

Good luck,

Hunt