9 Replies Latest reply on Nov 20, 2017 9:40 AM by johnrellis

New developer resource - Lightroom SDK Cookbook

DawMatt Level 3

Hi All,

You might have noticed that the overview for this forum has changed recently, and that two new links have been added:

Lightroom Developer Center

Lightroom Cookbook

The first you will no doubt be familiar with as it is the official location for obtaining the Lightroom SDK forum.  The second is a recent addition that I'd like to bring to your attention.

Adobe describes cookbooks as:

The Adobe Cookbooks and CSS Advisor community sites make finding and sharing code recipes as simple as possible. More than forums, wikis, or discussion groups, the cookbook and CSS Advisor sites make it easy for you to contribute content that benefits the entire community.

These sites are useful for contributing, finding or requesting information about the development platform being discussed.  The Lightroom SDK cookbook is the newest addition to that list.

As this is new it doesn't have a lot of content right now.  I've started the ball rolling by posting a recipe and would encourage you to consider adding your own tips ("recipes") for the benefit of the developer community. 

Matt

• 1. Re: New developer resource - Lightroom SDK Cookbook
          areohbee Level 5

Thanks Matt,

What is the difference between the Lightroom SDK cookbook and the Lua cookbook, and why is your recipe also in the Lightroom cookbook.

I assume when we submit, it should end up in only one place - not all three, eh?

Rob

• 2. Re: New developer resource - Lightroom SDK Cookbook
            DawMatt Level 3

areohbee wrote:

What is the difference between the Lightroom SDK cookbook and the Lua cookbook, and why is your recipe also in the Lightroom cookbook.

I assume when we submit, it should end up in only one place - not all three, eh?

"Lightroom SDK" is the cookbook. Lightroom and Lua are tags used to categorise the recipe and you assign these when you post the recipe. The tags are not cookbooks in their own right. 

I suspect this feature is more useful in cookbooks other than Lightroom.  That said we might have some non-Lua recipes (e.g. if someone wants to write about webengines) and later on we might want to expand the tags being used.

Forgot to mention in the original post that when including sample code there is no way to set "Lua" formatting at this point in time.  I've just used "Flex" so the formatting might look a little off but the sample code should still be readable.  This a known issue and Adobe have it on their list of things to fix.

Matt

• 3. Re: New developer resource - Lightroom SDK Cookbook
              areohbee Level 5

Thanks again Matt - so, how do we add Recipes?

• 4. Re: New developer resource - Lightroom SDK Cookbook
                DawMatt Level 3

areohbee wrote:

Thanks again Matt - so, how do we add Recipes?

When you go to the site there is a "Create Recipe" button.  If you don't already have a Community profile/ID then you might need to create one.

Matt

• 5. Re: New developer resource - Lightroom SDK Cookbook
                  areohbee Level 5

It took me a while, but I finally figured it out...

The relationship between tag & cookbook took a while to sink in...

To others: There is a 'Create Recipe' button on the main Cookbook page, as well as the Lightroom SDK Cookbook page - either can be used. From the best I can tell, as long as you tag it for the cookbooks you want it to be in, it does not matter which button you click to get you there, or something like that.

• 6. Re: New developer resource - Lightroom SDK Cookbook
                    DFBurns Level 1

Matt -

I'm curious how you'd compare this to using StackOverflow instead? I know that the Lightroom tag there is not very active but for the sake of comparing functionality, isn't that a better way to accomplish the goal? Or do these solve different problems? I know that Adobe probably wants to drive traffic to their on fora but...

db

• 7. Re: New developer resource - Lightroom SDK Cookbook
                      DawMatt Level 3

Hi,

DFBurns wrote:

I'm curious how you'd compare this to using StackOverflow instead? I know that the Lightroom tag there is not very active but for the sake of comparing functionality, isn't that a better way to accomplish the goal? Or do these solve different problems? I know that Adobe probably wants to drive traffic to their on fora but...

Interesting question.

I see Cookbooks and StackOverflow as complimentary.  Cookbooks are really for submitting proven solutions to coding problems Lightroom SDK users encounter.  They can also request new recipes to be provided if the one they are looking for doesn't exist.  So I think of Cookbooks/recipes more as articles than ongoing conversations.  The theory is that Cookbooks should build up over time to be an additional reference Lightroom SDK users will check when tackling problems.

StackOverflow seems to be more of an ongoing conversation.  There are some recipe like aspects but people don't seem to take the time to write up answers in an "article" type format and tend to focus on the specifics of the current user's issue.  So in a way it is more of a competitor for this forum than for the Cookbooks.  Personally I haven't been using StackOverflow for Lightroom SDK issues and all of my public discussions have been here.

Matt

• 8. Re: New developer resource - Lightroom SDK Cookbook
                        UfgPr Level 1

The cookbooks sound like an interesting source of information. But the domain seems just to point to the Adobe forums. Were the cookbooks for Lightroom SDK saved or moved anywhere?

• 9. Re: New developer resource - Lightroom SDK Cookbook
                          johnrellis Most Valuable Participant

It's been years since I peaked at the cookbook, and I don't recall very much posted there.