2 Replies Latest reply on Feb 23, 2011 7:00 PM by Whit G.

Timeline/keyframe/color effect problems with CS5...

Whit G. Level 1

I'm about to punch a hole through my wall. I've been building transitions the same way in Flash for over ten years and for the life of me I cannot figure out how to make it happen in CS5. All I'm trying to do is to have all of the letters (symbols) of a phrase light up. After they're all lighting in unison, I'll shift their respective spans so that they light up in sequence, one after the other. Again, I've done this a million times.

The way I used to accomplish this effect, and I can't fathom why it would need to be done any differently, is to give them all the same number of Motion-Tweened frames, add one or two keyframes to all of them (depending on whether I wanted them to animate right away or delay for a bit), then drag-select all of the objects on the stage with the stylus on the last keyframe and change their color properties. As any of you CS4/5 veterans probably already know, that no longer works.

Now, when I drag-select all of the symbols in the final frame, all of their entire spans are selected. Oddly, if I change the color effect at this step, the ending symbols do change... but the middle keyframe - the one that was supposed to be keeping the symbols static until I was ready for them to change - isn't honored; the lighting effect takes place throughout the entire motion tween, not just between the last two keyframes. The middle keyframe seems to do nothing at all.

Screen captures of the current state below. Again, the middle keyframes were never set to do anything, they should have remained static. I now see that I can return their brightness to '0' if I forcibly select them, but I can't just ditch the brightness effect altogether, as I could in CS3 and before, because it kills the brightness effect on the final keyframes. It all just seems to be *much* more trouble than it ought to be.

Sorry for the lengthy post, but I'm at my wit's end and I cannot find an explanation anywhere online. I love the idea of the Motion Editor and want to learn to use it, but this is not a good start, it seems to be making a very simple task unnecessarily complicated. Any help understanding what I'm doing wrong is much appreciated. Thanks!

Screen shot 2011-02-23 at 4.08.01 PM.png

Screen shot 2011-02-23 at 4.08.14 PM.png

Screen shot 2011-02-23 at 4.08.21 PM.png