12 Replies Latest reply on Feb 24, 2011 12:33 PM by m6500

NVIDIA OpenGL driver lost connection

m6500

The NVIDIA OpenGL driver lost connection with the display driver and is unable to continue. The application must close. ERROR CODE 8

Here is my system config:

Dell M6500, 12Gig ram with Quadro FX3800.

It is also impossible to encode from Premiere Pro CS5 or Adobe Media Encoder. I tried everything to fix this issue. Not working. After trying to

fix the problem with DELL (not working)  they decided to replace the motherboard + FX3800 under warranty. Again same message error from

Premiere PRO CS5 and Adobe Media Encoder !

Is there any body out there using the same system and config with out any issue with the nvidia openGL driver disconnection ?

Thanks for your help

steve

• 1. Re: NVIDIA OpenGL driver lost connection
          Colin Brougham Level 6

What are you doing when you get this error? What sort of source material?

• 2. Re: NVIDIA OpenGL driver lost connection
            m6500 Level 1

Hi Collin,

First thank you for reply !

When I edit in PPRO it can happen any time. 5 minutes, 15 or 2 hours. Also when I encode directly form PPRO the system crash before completing

the task. Impossible to output anything from PPRO.

I tried also with Adobe Media Encoder. Same result, same nvidia message.

The source material is HDV footage captured with Onlocation directly to HDD.

steve

• 3. Re: NVIDIA OpenGL driver lost connection
              Colin Brougham Level 6

First things first: are your display drivers fully up-to-date?

• 4. Re: NVIDIA OpenGL driver lost connection
                m6500 Level 1

Oh yes !

I can garanty you that the driver are the latest one 266.58. we did a clean uninstall and reinstall driver.

• 5. Re: NVIDIA OpenGL driver lost connection
                  m6500 Level 1

Also, DELL was here yesterday and they replaced the

motherboard and the FX card. The system use the latest version of BIOS (V06). And this machine is dedicated stricly

to video production and post. No games, no wicki just the OS and Adobe Master Collection Edition CS5.

• 6. Re: NVIDIA OpenGL driver lost connection
                    Colin Brougham Level 6

Wow... new hardware and everything! Have you tried doing a full reinstall of the OS and then the Master Collection? Since you eliminated other variables, it might be best to just start with a fresh platform.

Before you try that, have you tried creating a new project and importing the old one into that? Also, have you tried exporting your project just in software mode?

Also, you mentioned you're working with HDV, but do you have anything like very large photos in your project? There have been issues with large photos causing OpenGL crashes--I've actually been struck by that myself, on several occasions. I seem to remember those being "Error 7," though. Another possible culprit would be any third-party effects you might be using; anything in particular you're using?

1 person found this helpful
                    • 7. Re: NVIDIA OpenGL driver lost connection
                      Colin Brougham Level 6

I can garanty you that the driver are the latest one 266.58. we did a clean uninstall and reinstall driver.

OK, I just realized something--if you're truly using 266.58, you're using the wrong drivers. That release number is for the GeForce drivers, not the Quadro drivers. The last five WHQL releases for Quadro have been 267.05, 266.45, 266.35, 259.81 and 259.77--there is no 266.58 as either a WHQL or beta driver.

If you are using the GeForce drivers, uninstall those and reinstall the correct Quadro drivers. You can find them here: Download NVIDIA Drivers

• 8. Re: NVIDIA OpenGL driver lost connection
                        m6500 Level 1

The only thing I have on each video sequence is two video FX (Brightness & Contrast).  I will try to run the entire production

on the same drive, and without any video FX and I will desactivate the GPU hardware acceleration in Premiere.

I'm actually chatting with Sanjib nvidia support techn and I will try one last recommendation they ask me to do. They ask me to install 258.96

driver version ! This version is for GTX Card ! not Quadro. Let see if they know their product. I will post the result of this.

• 9. Re: NVIDIA OpenGL driver lost connection
                          m6500 Level 1

Be aware that nvidia have two version for Quadro FX3800. One for desktop and one for Notebook. (FX3800M) And the correct version

for Dell Precision M6500 is 266.58. I'm sure at 150% percent.

I made a mistake not 258.66  266.58 is the last updated driver for Notebooks version of FX3800

• 10. Re: NVIDIA OpenGL driver lost connection
                            Colin Brougham Level 6
                            Be aware that nvidia have two version for Quadro FX3800. One for desktop and one for Notebook. (FX3800M)

OK, well, you didn't say you were using the FX3800M; you said FX3800. The mobile version is not a supported GPU, at least for hardware MPE; it can be enabled via the hack, but then you're sort of on your own. It's reasons like this that the supported GPU list is short.

Now, if you're NOT using hardware MPE (e.g. using the hack), I'd recommend blowing the system away and starting over, if the other places I suggested to look aren't panning out. With new hardware in place, it makes sense to just start from scratch.

• 11. Re: NVIDIA OpenGL driver lost connection
                              m6500 Level 1

Just did the test with nvidia support. The problem still there ! We paid 6500$ dollars for this computer 2 weeks ago from Dell. I never had problem before. I'm using an FX4800 on a different workstation with no problem. After trying to fix this issue with 2 Dell tech, Adobe customer support and nvidia support....

We will return this workstation to manufacturer.

Thanks you very much for your help !

steve

• 12. Re: NVIDIA OpenGL driver lost connection
                                Colin Brougham Level 6

Bummer. Like I said above, this is why the list of supported GPUs is intentionally--albeit frustratingly--short. Sorry it didn't work out!