This must be related to the fact that you have UTF-8 characters in you database and they might not be correctly handled by MySQL or Apache servers.
Make sure your apache configuration has
and also check your mysql config file to see if you have
Also check the collation of the database and tables.
Hope it helps.
Thank Jorge, but that was not the issue, though, it may be related.
I checked the mySQL my.ini file, and there was already an entry for:
I added the 'default-collation=utf8_unicode_ci', like you suggested, but that didn't do anything.
I checked the Apache httpd.conf file, and added the following line 'under' the "DefaultType text/plain" line:
AddDefaultCharset UTF-8 but that did not do anything.
I checked my mySQL database, all the tables involved. They were already at UTF-8 (default). However, some of the 'varchar' columns were defined as 'latin 1-default collation'. I changed them all to utf-8 (default table collation), but that did not help either.
Finally, I found the problem, though I don't really know if it is "my" problem, or ZendAMF's problem, or Adobe's problem.
It turned out that 'some' of my data had a 'bad' character in it. Specifically, I had 'copied and pasted' some data from MS Word into mySQL Workbench. Some of the data included the 'elipsis' character - you know, when you type "..." (dot dot dot) in MS Word, it replaces the three periods with a single elipsis character. Although PHP could easily query and assemble this data into a nice object array, I noticed that that character showed up (in PHP's debugger) as a 'box' character, meaning "bad character". Thus, I guess, Zend AMF and/or FlashBuilder could not 'bring over' and/or deal with this type of character. As soon as I replace the few instances of that character with three periods, everything began to work perfectly.
Thanks for your help,