3 Replies Latest reply on Jun 29, 2007 4:01 PM by Newsgroup_User

Unable to associate Fireworks to PNG files in XP

3daysaside
      Stats: Windows XP Pro SP2, Adobe Fireworks CS3

After I installed CS3, and then uninstalled Studio MX 2004, my PNG files were no longer associated to any program. When you click on "Open With" Adobe Fireworks does not show up in the list. When you click "Browse", and then select C:\Program Files\Adobe\Adobe Fireworks CS3\fireworks.exe it automatically highlights "Windows Picture Viewer" in the previous dialog box, and Fireworks does not show up at all. I've done this several times across two PCs both with the exact same configuration and installation process.

I am successful in associating PNGs to pretty much every other program, including Photoshop Extended, Dreamweaver, Firefox, etc... but that's obviously not helpful to me.

Here's the kicker: my GIFs are associated to Fireworks, and it shows up in the "Open With" menu there. I would say this is a fluke, but across two PCs??
        • 1. Re: Unable to associate Fireworks to PNG files in XP
          Level 7
          I had a similar problem with another file extension and another program
          and solved by opening up an Explorer window, going into Tools > File
          Types, arrowing down until I found the extension, deleting it and
          recreating it again. I looked at a similar extension to see how the
          parameters were setup.

alex

3daysaside wrote:
          > Stats: Windows XP Pro SP2, Adobe Fireworks CS3
          >
          > After I installed CS3, and then uninstalled Studio MX 2004, my PNG files were
          > no longer associated to any program. When you click on "Open With" Adobe
          > Fireworks does not show up in the list. When you click "Browse", and then
          > select C:\Program Files\Adobe\Adobe Fireworks CS3\fireworks.exe it
          > automatically highlights "Windows Picture Viewer" in the previous dialog box,
          > and Fireworks does not show up at all. I've done this several times across two
          > PCs both with the exact same configuration and installation process.
          >
          > I am successful in associating PNGs to pretty much every other program,
          > including Photoshop Extended, Dreamweaver, Firefox, etc... but that's obviously
          > not helpful to me.
          >
          > Here's the kicker: my GIFs are associated to Fireworks, and it shows up in the
          > "Open With" menu there. I would say this is a fluke, but across two PCs??
          >
          • 2. Re: Unable to associate Fireworks to PNG files in XP
            3daysaside Level 1
            That's brilliant, and it worked right away. Thanks!
            • 3. Re: Unable to associate Fireworks to PNG files in XP
              Level 7
              welcome . :)

3daysaside wrote:
              > That's brilliant, and it worked right away. Thanks!