10 Replies Latest reply on Feb 25, 2011 6:04 AM by E. Rocka

Linear Wipe effect flickering on and off

Molgaard Level 1

I have a layer in my shot that I've applied a non-animated linear wipe to, so that the visibility fades from top to bottom. The parameters are the same from start to finish and there are no keyframes on it. Towards the end of the shot, the wipe starts flickering randomly on and off. It happens at slightly different points in time each time I play it back, and there are no keyframes on other layers that coincide with the flickering. It is the top layer in the composition and I am sure it isn't caused by any other layers because the flickering is visible when I solo that layer. At first I thought this was a preview glitch, but the flickering was still visible after I rendered it.

Other properties applied to the layer are multiply blending mode, and a position/rotation motion path.

Any ideas?

• 1. Re: Linear Wipe effect flickering on and off
          bogiesan-gyyClL Level 3

I have no clue at all. But when confronted with weird issues, I start by turning off layers in a binary test.Try turning off the underlying layer and render. If the flickering reminas, it's the filter layer. If the flickering goes away, it's caused by the media, not the filter.

If that doesn't lead to a solution, try recreating the comp. Make a copy of the comp, open it, delete the wipe layer, save. Now recreate the wipe layer.

You might also extend the shot, give yourself some handles before and after the in and out points, so the flickering happens after your critical content.

Not looking over you shoulder, I do not understand why you are using that particular filter to achieve your effect. A fade, either a ramp like a graduated black mask or a change in opacity, can be achieved many diffeernt way besides using a wipe. So try some of those

bogiesan

• 2. Re: Linear Wipe effect flickering on and off
            Molgaard Level 1

Thanks for your reply. I tried out your suggestions, lengthening the composition hasn't made a difference. It seems to be triggered by the shot moving upwards (and the layer moving downwards accordingly). When I rendered the layer by itself the wipe was gone altogether.

As to why I'm using it, it's for a sky replacement shot. I want the sky I've added to fade into the original sky so that it looks more natural. I'm somewhat new to AE, so if you could explain another way of achieving the same effect I'd be glad to try it out.

• 3. Re: Linear Wipe effect flickering on and off
              Mylenium Most Valuable Participant

I concur with David - try to re-create the layer. This sounds rather odd. On the otehr hand, since you are using belnding modes combined with ttransparencies the issue may not relate to the wipe layer at all but rather how it interacts with a layer below, even more so since it moves. This may lead to random obscuration and in particular have ill effects on things like layer styles or anything applied via adjustment layers... I'd check that, too...

Mylenium

• 4. Re: Linear Wipe effect flickering on and off
                Molgaard Level 1

Thanks guys. I've tried recreating the layer and turning off the blending mode to simplify things, but annoyingly it still happens. I've found the only thing that gets rid of the issue is turning off the position keyframes so that the layer doesn't move. Unfortunately that isn't an option for me because it's a panning shot... Is there maybe another way I can achieve the effect?

• 5. Re: Linear Wipe effect flickering on and off
                  Todd_Kopriva Level 8

Are you using OpenGL?

Are you using Render Multiple Frames Simultaneously multiprocessing?

What happens if you set the layer to Draft mode?

• 6. Re: Linear Wipe effect flickering on and off
                    Molgaard Level 1

I am using OpenGL, yes.

The RMFS setting was switched off, and turning it on made no difference to the flickering. Nor did changing the layer quality to draft...

• 7. Re: Linear Wipe effect flickering on and off
                      E. Rocka

Just curious, have you tried doing a full render or have you only  encountered this problem during RAM previews? I have gotten flickering  issues in the past when I would bring in renders from Cinema 4D, but it  would only occur during RAM previews. When I did a full render, it came  out just fine. To fix the RAM preview flickering issues, I simply would  Edit > Purge > All. Hope this helps.

• 8. Re: Linear Wipe effect flickering on and off
                        Todd_Kopriva Level 8

> I am using OpenGL, yes.

Turn it off.

• 9. Re: Linear Wipe effect flickering on and off
                          Molgaard Level 1

Still no change...

• 10. Re: Linear Wipe effect flickering on and off
                            E. Rocka Level 1

Since nothing is working for you with linear wipe, try this:

Create a new shape layer (make sure that no layers in your timeline are selected, and double click the rectangle mask icon in your tool palette) that has a white-to-black gradient on it (by adjusting the fill in your tool palette), apply the multiply transfer mode, and use that instead of the linear wipe.

-or-

You can also create a new solid, apply a ramp effect to it (under Effect > Generate), apply your multiply transfer mode to it, and you'll also get the same exact effect

There are other methods too, but one of those two should do the trick.

1 person found this helpful