6 Replies Latest reply on Feb 24, 2011 9:29 AM by Pi_22

After effects CS5 keep freezing ?

Pi_22

Hi everyone,

I made a project last week and two days ago it began to reacte strangely. Sometimes it won't open at all, or it open but after a few minutes if I scrub in the timeline it freeze, or I can't quit normally.. I trash my preferences, disable openGL restart the computer a few times and after two hours of manipulations the project load as it used to be, so I continue my work. Yesterday was fine but today the problem appears again and I can't fix it... My project involve a lot of Optical Flares and I know that it could be the cause of the problem so I try the latest version, disable the motion blur, the "use GPU" box, try to render a piece of the animation with only the flare (it work fine) but again when I try to render the whole composition with multiples instances of it with the rest of the layer It freeze. The freeze appears also when I'm on a composition with no filters on it... I really don't know where to start to fix it so if someone can help me It would be great ! (and sorry for my bad english, it's not my first language)

I use AE CS5 10.01 with Windows Seven (don't know the exact specs of the computer I'm working on but I can find them in a few hours, I hope).

• 1. Re: After effects CS5 keep freezing ?
          Mylenium Most Valuable Participant

Knowing the system specs certainly would help... Also: What size do your comps and layers have? Even with GPU off, Optical Flares is known to cause issues beyond certain sizes, but then again since you say the freeze occurs without any effects, too, itr may be something else. What footage do you use? anything specific to the system we should know in terms of audio devices or CoDecs?

Mylenium

• 2. Re: After effects CS5 keep freezing ?
            Pi_22 Level 1

Hi Mylenium, your posts help me a lot over the past few years so it's quite a pleasure to finally meet you here

In fact, I think I solve the problem, even if AE is still a bit laggy... The solution was to disable the GPU rendering in the Optical Flares preferences, I was thinking that unchecking the "Use GPU" in the effect panel would kill the rendering but I was wrong. The mystery is that the freeze occurs every time, even when I just launch the project or when I want to quit it so I was thinking that it was more a general problem than a specific plugin one... For information I work with 2k frames (both .dpx and photo jpeg .mov), on a network drive (which was another thing that confuse me about the origin of the problem) and my graphic card is a Nvidia Quadro FX 4500. I try to open the project on differents workstations with differents configurations and the same problem occur so it was a bit frightening... But now it works (cross fingers) so I hope the problem is beyond me.

Thank you for taking the time to answer me, as I said before a lot of the stuff you've post here and there helped me to solve my problems in the past so thanks sir

• 3. Re: After effects CS5 keep freezing ?
              Todd_Kopriva Level 8

Are you using the msot recent version of Optical Flares? There was an update somewhat recently.

• 4. Re: After effects CS5 keep freezing ?
                Pi_22 Level 1

Yes, in my search for the solution I find your link and I've upgraded, with no results... Since it's not the worksation I use usually I think it may be a conflict with the Quadro (there is also a Blackmagic installed to preview on a TV screen) but it's just a guess, I'm not an expert about this type of stuff.

• 5. Re: After effects CS5 keep freezing ?
                  Mylenium Most Valuable Participant

Indeed... Capture/ preview cards are notorious for causing problems due to their fragile relation to other drivers, system hardware and CoDecs. you may have better luck trying to render this on a more normal hardware setup.

Mylenium

• 6. Re: After effects CS5 keep freezing ?
                    Pi_22 Level 1

It's right, for my experience of Blackmagic's user I have been through a lot of problems due to the connection between AE or PPro and the drivers of the card but I don't know if it's the cause of the freeze here, because I open the project on two differents workstations and the same problem appear. I don't know the exact specs of them (have to ask the tech guy) but I know one have a GeForce 9600 GT and no Blackmagic installed...