13 Replies Latest reply on Oct 10, 2011 6:07 AM by mooninitelights

Cutting only video using the Multi-Camera Window

mooninitelights

Hi, I couldn't find this answer anywhere in the documentation, FAQS or message boards.

I was wondering if there is a way go into the Multi-Cam Window and make cuts (camera 1, camera 2, etc), without it also cutting the audio track. The problem is if there are too many audio cuts in the video, the timeline starts getting slower until the program is basically unusable. (I am using a new ADK editing machine).

What I wind up having to do is after I make my multi-cam cuts in the multi-camera window, I have to UNLINK the audio from the video for each camera cut, then I delete all of the cut up audio segments and drag the first audio cut all the way to the end, so I have one linear audio track over all the video cuts. If you have like 40 cuts, its a real pain. Is there some way to keep the multi-cam window from cutting audio with video?

Thanks!

-aaron

• 1. Re: Cutting only video using the Multi-Camera Window
          Colin Brougham Level 6

No, there's no way to prevent the audio track from being cut; it's weird, but true. I'd suggest a feature request to disable this: Adobe Feature Request/Bug Report Form

To the problem at hand: I usually use a variation of your workaround. However, what I do is actually start with a single audio clip in the place of the nested multicam audio track.

Let's say your sync sequence is called "MCsync" and your edit sequence is called "MCedit." After I nest MCsync in MCedit and enable multicam, I park at the beginning of MCedit and hit Shift+T; this loads MCsync and parks the CTI at the same frame as in MCedit. I then target the audio track I want to use for reference in the multicam edit, and hit M to match frame the source clip into the Source Monitor. I then mark an in point at that frame (I) and clear the out point if there is one.

Going back to MCedit, I edit the audio portion of this source clip into the multicam edit sequence, replacing or overwriting the audio portion of the MCsync nested sequence. I then lock that audio track, and edit away; I have reference audio for editing, but no edits are added to the audio track--just the video track.

The reason I do this is because I create a final sequence in which I do my final assembly of the multicam-edited video, and then an independently-created audio mix. I've found this to be the best way (at least for my workflow) to edit multicam projects.

• 2. Re: Cutting only video using the Multi-Camera Window
            Jim_Simon Level 8
            The problem is if there are too many audio cuts in the video, the timeline starts getting slower until the program is basically unusable.

That's not normal.  Solve that.

• 3. Re: Cutting only video using the Multi-Camera Window
              mooninitelights Level 1

I can't solve anything. I'm cutting three camera AVCHD footage, btw.

• 4. Re: Cutting only video using the Multi-Camera Window
                Paul Joy (UK) Level 1

Just lock the audio track and it won't be cut.

Check out this tutorial I made a while back, you can skip to about ten minutes in to get to the relevent part.

http://www.pauljoy.com/workflow/premiere-pro/multicam-edits-in-premiere-pro-using-pluraley es/

I hope that helps

regards

Paul

• 5. Re: Cutting only video using the Multi-Camera Window
                  Colin Brougham Level 6

Paul,

Sorry, but I've gotta call shenanigans on that one However, I see you're on a Mac, so maybe things are different there...

If you lock the audio track, Premiere will just place the audio edits on the next open track (yes, this is probably a bug). If you lock all audio tracks, Premiere will actually create a new track, and then put the audio edits there.

If this doesn't happen on the Mac, then we've got an OS-specific bug, I'd say. If it does happen there, then it's a general bug or just a rather silly design choice

• 6. Re: Cutting only video using the Multi-Camera Window
                    BillRab Level 1

I recently switched from FCP to PPro CS5.5, and find that I, too, have this multicam will not "switch only video" problem.

• I've unchecked "Audio follows video" in the Multicam panel menu.
                    • In my Multicam sequence, I've locked the audio track (A1, which has the audio from MC1) -- camera #1 has the best audio.

Yet every time I switch cameras in the Multicam panel if I'm switching to MC2, MC3, or MC4 PPro adds the audio from that camera in a new A2 track in my Multicam sequence. I then need to Unlink that clip in the Multicam sequence, and delete its audio from A2.

There's gotta' be a better way...how do I switch only the video during a multicam edit?

Thanks,

BillRab

• 7. Re: Cutting only video using the Multi-Camera Window
                      Jim_Simon Level 8

You can't.  The program just isn't designed with that functionality.  A cut will cut both audio and video, no way around it.

My own solution is to cut as normal, then just replace the cut audio track with the uncut original.  (This has the added benefit of giving me the full audio from the original sequence, not just A1.)

• 8. Re: Cutting only video using the Multi-Camera Window
                        BillRab Level 1

Thanks, Jim...I thought that the PPro Help said that unchecking "Audio follows video" will result in only the video switching between cameras (and the audio does not "follow"):

In the Record multi-camera edits section of the Multi-camera Sequences help page, step #3 says:

To record audio from the selected camera to the audio track, select Audio Follows Video in the Multi-Camera Monitor panel menu. Deselect this option to record audio from the audio track selected in the source sequence.

In my source sequence, I've selected A1. It seems to me, therefore, that according to this step in the help page PPro should be recording audio from the source A1 track. Is this a bug in PPro?

Unfortunately, I don't think I can use your solution because I've already cut and then deleted parts of several clips from my Multicam sequence ("dead" time between speakers, coughs, etc.). Thus the audio track in the Multicam sequence is now shorter than the corresponding audio track in the Source sequence.

Thanks again,

BillRab

• 9. Re: Cutting only video using the Multi-Camera Window
                          Jim_Simon Level 8

unchecking "Audio follows video" will result in only the video switching between cameras (and the audio does not "follow"):

Sort of.  It means that you get the selected audio track for all cuts, no matter which video track is showing.  But there's still a cut in the audio track.

I've already cut and then deleted parts of several clips from my Multicam sequence

Lesson learned.  Don't do that until you're done editing and have replaced the audio.  (Learned that one the hard way myself.  For me the only option was to recut with this work flow in mind.)

• 10. Re: Cutting only video using the Multi-Camera Window
                            BillRab Level 1

I'm afraid I don't understand your first point, Jim.

Sort of.  It means that you get the selected audio track for all cuts, no matter which video track is showing.  But there's still a cut in the audio track.

By "selected audio track" do you mean the audio track that I selected in the Source sequence? If so, are you saying that I actually need to select (that is, click on) the clip in that audio track?

I've made A1 the active track in my Source sequence, thinking that doing so made it the "audio track selected." In fact, I've muted all of the other audio tracks in that Source sequence.

In my Multicam panel, I deselected "Audio follows video." At first, in my Multicam sequence I made A1 (which was the only audio track) active. Each time I switched camera angles, the clip on the Multicam sequence changed both the video and the audio tracks to those of the newly-selected camera.

Not what I wanted, so I then locked track A1 in my Multicam sequence. Selected in the Source sequence, and locked in the Multicam sequence -- how could anything audio possibly change? Next time I switched cameras in the Multicam panel, PPro added an audio track A2 to my Multicam sequence and put the audio track of the selected camera (from the Source sequence) into this track A2 of my Multicam sequence. Again, not what I wanted.

I've been using FCP for years before I bought PPro a couple of weeks ago. IMHO, FCP Multicam editing has these advantages over PPro: (1) FCP does not have a separate Multicam "panel." It displays the individual sync'd camera angles right in its Viewer window, which is the equivalent of the PPro Source window. When you select a new camera the cut is made directly in the Multicam sequence timeline. (2) As a result, the FCP Program window always shows the selected camera angle in real time (similar to the PPro Multicam panel's Program window, but the PPro Multicam panel doesn't have a timeline and when I'm in the Multicam panel the Multicam sequence panel and the Program panel do not update in real time. (3) If you delete a clip from the FCP Multicam sequence's timeline, everything after that clip remains in synchronization. There's no need to replace the audio track(s) with the ones from the original clips.

Thanks again,

BillRab

• 11. Re: Cutting only video using the Multi-Camera Window
                              lasvideo Level 4

Without really knowing, I would guess that Multicam is a high priority to be fixed. But in case it isnt, Let Adobe know what you want. They, unlike Apple, listen...

https://www.adobe.com/cfusion/mmform/index.cfm?name=wishform

• 12. Re: Cutting only video using the Multi-Camera Window
                                Jim_Simon Level 8
                                By "selected audio track" do you mean the audio track that I selected in the Source sequence?

Yes.  A1 is targeted by default when you create the sequence.  With Audio Follows Video unchecked, you'll hear only A1 in the multicam sequence.  (You will still have cuts in the audio, however.  They will simply all be A1.)

Each time I switched camera angles, the clip on the Multicam sequence changed both the video and the audio tracks to those of the newly-selected camera.

That will only happen if you have Audio Follows Video active.  Without it, you get only Audio 1.

• 13. Re: Cutting only video using the Multi-Camera Window
                                  mooninitelights Level 1

Hi, there is an easy work-around for this (sorry I did not post the solution sooner):

1. After you cut your multi-cam video, hold down the ALT key and select all of the sliced up audio tracks (the video will not be selected).

2. Press the delete key. You will now have just your cut up video track in the timeline.

3. Grab the end of the audio track from where it was cut (you may need to unlink it first) and drag it under all of the video cuts. Adobe will use that audio track to fill in the missing audio.

When you are done, you should have one continuous, uncut audio track underneath all of your video cuts.

Problem solved.

-aaron