4 Replies Latest reply on Mar 7, 2011 12:19 PM by Zac Lam

Importer - basic question

MirandaTech

Hello All,

Referring to the Premiere Pro SDK documentation covering Importers, the first line of the chapter reads:

"Importers provide video and/or audio from the media source. This source can be a single file, a

set of files, a communication link between another application, etc"

Then the imOpenFile8 selector says:

"Importers that don’t open their own files, or importers that only open a single file should

not use this suite."

I'm probably mistaken, but the two statements appear to be conflicting, creating some confusion for me.  We intend to build a standard Importer plugin that creates a communication link between another application and as such will not be explicitly opening files.  The example provided is great start, but I need more help.

Here's my question:

Assuming our plugin sets imImportInfoRec.canOpen to false as I think it should when it creates a communication link with another application, can someone please explain how a standard importer is interfaced with when importing? If possible, I would also like to know the sequence of calls.

Thank you,

MirandaTech

• 1. Re: Importer - basic question
          Rallymax Level 2

You don't want to make a file importer you want to make a custom 

import module - like titlers are to frame buffer from your source 

program.

Refer to the titler example. It exactly what you want to code base from.

• 2. Re: Importer - basic question
            Rallymax Level 2

More specifically you want to make a Synthetic Importer.

• 3. Re: Importer - basic question
              MirandaTech Level 1

Hi Rallymax,

Thanks for the response.

For further confirmation, we plan to write an import plugin that accesses existing files on disk, and the file handling (opening,reading) will occur in a child process that we will write, which our plugin will manage and communicate with.  Do you still assert we go with a Synthetic importer?  Please explain.

Thanks,

MirandaTech

• 4. Re: Importer - basic question
                Zac Lam Adobe Employee

Hi there,

In that case, it sounds like you would want to write a standard importer plug-in.  You could start with the SDK File Importer plug-in sample as your guide.  Since your plug-in will be working with another process to perform file handling, you'll want to set canOpen.  This will tell Premiere Pro that you want your plug-in to receive the imOpenFile8 and imQuietFile calls, which is where you should open / close any file handles.

Regards,

Zac

1 person found this helpful