7 Replies Latest reply on Feb 26, 2011 12:34 AM by Mylenium

Is After Effects (Student Version) Region Coded?

Ian R. Brown Level 1

A student friend  from Singapore is staying with us for a while (in the UK) and intends to buy a student version of After Effects here in the UK. (Apparently they are not available where he lives).

However, he is worried that when he returns to Singapore it may not work on his 27" iMac computer (because of Region Coding).

To the best of my knowledge, this would not be a problem as there is no Region Coding with applications but naturally he is a little hesitant to fork out the readies if there is the slightest chance of AE not working on his computer.

Can anyone confirm that he will definitely be OK?

• 1. Re: Is After Effects (Student Version) Region Coded?
          Mylenium Most Valuable Participant

Can anyone confirm that he will definitely be OK?

Yes, it will be. "Region coding", if you wanna call it that is only

• there being different installers foir different regions/ languages, since it apaprently doesn't make sense to bundle European languages for North americans and Russian may not go down well in Japan...
          • the serial numbers, which are issued specifically per country/ region

None of that does however mean that a UK English version won't run on an Asian Mac, it just will run in English only. There may be some side effects when he attempts to type in a different language inside the apps if his Mac is set to his native language, but that's a whole different matter entirely...

Mylenium

1 person found this helpful
          • 2. Re: Is After Effects (Student Version) Region Coded?
            Ian R. Brown Level 1

Thanks Mylenium.

I have just shown him your reply and he asked whether during internet activation, will Adobe match the IP address to the country the disc was  bought from?

He will not be installing it here, but when he gets back home.

I feel from what you have already said, that it will be OK but he still has this doubt.

Will he be OK in this respect?

• 3. Re: Is After Effects (Student Version) Region Coded?

No, activation does not track IPs, it just verifies the serial by sending encrypted data to the activation server. Depending on local legislation Adobe would not be allowed to collect and store additional data, anyways.

Mylenium

• 4. Re: Is After Effects (Student Version) Region Coded?
                ryan_khoo Level 1

Hi there,

Don't mind me joining in the discussion.

Can a Singapore student, use his computer in SIngapore & goto Adobe UK Online website to purchase the Adobe Student Edition ? When ask for verification, and he give his Singapore student ID, will the verificaton process be approved ?

In other words, is the UK website strictly only for UK students to purchase ?

Thanks

• 5. Re: Is After Effects (Student Version) Region Coded?

Yes, teacher/ student accounts are region specific and you cannot buy them outside the specified area. Buying directly from the online store wouldn't work, anyways - the shop itself does IP tracking and even if it didn't, at latest when you inserted payment info it would know where you live. So unfortunate as it may be, you cannot do that. You may onlyhope to find a reseller in your region that would allow such discounts.

Mylenium

1 person found this helpful
                  • 6. Re: Is After Effects (Student Version) Region Coded?
                    ryan_khoo Level 1

Mylenium wrote:

Yes, teacher/ student accounts are region specific and you cannot buy them outside the specified area. Buying directly from the online store wouldn't work, anyways - the shop itself does IP tracking and even if it didn't, at latest when you inserted payment info it would know where you live. So unfortunate as it may be, you cannot do that. You may onlyhope to find a reseller in your region that would allow such discounts.

Mylenium

Thanks Mylenium,

But I am a bit confused here. In post number (3) above, you mentioned that activation does not track IP ? Correct me if I am wrong, what you meant to say was, Adobe will check the IP when the purchase is made but once the purchase is clear & have the Student CD, it will no longer check ID when you install it ? Am I guessing you right ?

Okay, the reason I ask is this, my daughter is studying mass media full time in a University in Australia & she needs the Adobe After Effects to do her project and she asked me to purchase online for her. But I am living in Singapore.

Question 1:

Can my daughter who lives in Australia purchase the Student Edition online Adobe Australia using my credit card ? Problem is my credit card is a Singapore credit card. WIll that be a problem ?

Question 2:

When she comes back to Singapore during her holidays, if she use the Australian AE student Edition disc to install on her computer in SIngapore (of course after she uninstall her copies in Australia), will the installation hit any problem ? Like Ian says, is it region coded ?

Question 3:

Alternatively, would it be okay if I use my computer in Singapore to go Adobe Australia and make the purchase using my Singapore credit card & ask them to send to my daughter's address in Australia ?

Thanks

• 7. Re: Is After Effects (Student Version) Region Coded?

I can only answer technical questions from personal experience and this means that foreign credit cards will not be accepted in specific regional online shops just as the shop will automatically be pre-selected based on your IP. Everything else is best handled by a a call to the local sales department. The way I see it: If your daughter studies in Australia, she will have the relevant Australian papers and since those are verified manually, they will take precedence over any limitations that may apply to normal sales. Or in other words: Just like you are paying your daughters course fees with your card, Australian sales will not have any problem accepting it for the software as long as she can provide the necessary papers. Activation on the other hand doesn't care for where your computer is. As I said, all it ever sends is an encrypted file and the server will verify it - people who bring home "cheap" US software from their holiday trips do it all the time here in Europe.

Mylenium