17 Replies Latest reply on Jun 26, 2007 8:25 AM by Peter Lorent

mc.show();

Damon Edwards Level 3
      what is the equivalent to show(); that is supported in flash player 8..
        • 1. Re: mc.show();
          Level 7
          dzedward,

> what is the equivalent to show(); that is supported in
          > flash player 8..

Not sure exactly what you're asking, here. There's a Mouse.show()
          method, which reveals the mouse cursor after it has been hidden with
          Mouse.hide(). Other than that, you've got Alert.show() and Menu.show() ...
          but since your subject line seems to indicate movie clips, I'm not sure what
          you're after. (For what it's worth, methods are essentially functions
          associated with a particular class. Movie clip symbols, for example, are
          determined by the "MovieClip class" entry of the ActionScript 2.0 Language
          Reference. Properties are characteristics the object has, methods are
          things the object can do, and events are things the object can react to.)

Is this some custom function, maybe?

David Stiller
          Co-author, Foundation Flash CS3 for Designers
          http://tinyurl.com/2k29mj
          "Luck is the residue of good design."

• 2. Re: mc.show();
            Damon Edwards Level 3
            no. my employer bought this magnifying component, and want me to use it.. the demo uses a button with glass.show() to reveal the magnifier (glass being the movieClip).. the publish settings are set to player 7.. when i integrate this in my project, publishing to player 8, glass.show() isnt working...
            • 3. Re: mc.show();
              Level 7
              dzedward,

>> Is this some custom function, maybe?

> no. my employer bought this magnifying component, and want
              > me to use it..

Sounds like a custom function or method to me. :)

> the demo uses a button with glass.show() to reveal the magnifier
              > (glass being the movieClip).. the publish settings are set to player 7..
              > when i integrate this in my project, publishing to player 8, glass.show()
              > isnt working...

Is there a compelling reason to publish to Flash Player 8? Maybe there
              is. But if not -- if, for example, you're not using blend modes or filters,
              maybe you can keep right on publishing to Flash Player 7. Users with 8 and
              9 will see your content just fine.

Outside of that, this sounds like a perfect case for a bit of
              troubleshooting. Since neither of us wrote the code for this magnifier,
              neither of us knows how it works. That leaves me completely in the dark, of
              course, and we'll need to shed some light on the matter to see what's going
              on.

Have you implemented this magnifer in a brand new FLA, to see if it
              works (or not) when published for Flash Player 8? What version of
              ActionScript are you publishing for? It may not be the version of the
              player so much as the version of AS.

David Stiller
              Co-author, Foundation Flash CS3 for Designers
              http://tinyurl.com/2k29mj

• 4. mc.show();
                Damon Edwards Level 3
                quote:

Is there a compelling reason to publish to Flash Player 8? Maybe there
                is. But if not -- if, for example, you're not using blend modes or filters,
                maybe you can keep right on publishing to Flash Player 7. Users with 8 and
                9 will see your content just fine.

im using lots of filters, and caching, bitmap data...

quote:

Have you implemented this magnifer in a brand new FLA, to see if it
                works (or not) when published for Flash Player 8? What version of
                ActionScript are you publishing for? It may not be the version of the
                player so much as the version of AS.

yes, if its set to player 8, it doesnt work... the demo uses AS2 so thats not a problem...
                • 5. Re: mc.show();
                  Level 7
                  dzedward,

> yes, if its set to player 8, it doesnt work... the demo uses AS2
                  > so thats not a problem...

Well, Flash Player 8 did drop support for the very old, way-deprecated
                  string concatenator, "and". That could *possibly* be it, regardless of your
                  ActionScript settings, but that would be a real stretch. It's a component,
                  so it's not as if we can look at the code.

Is there a support forum for the component itself? Does it come with
                  documentation?

Have you tried using the Debugger panel to "see under the hood"?

http://www.adobe.com/devnet/flash/articles/debugging_actionscript.html

Could you be using this magnifying class with a Flash Player 8-specific
                  feature that it may not have been developed for (such as bitmap data -- I'm
                  just guessing)?

David Stiller
                  Adobe Community Expert
                  Dev blog, http://www.quip.net/blog/

• 6. Re: mc.show();
                    Damon Edwards Level 3
                    ok, i think we're getting somewhere, if i save the doc as MX 04, it works..
                    • 7. Re: mc.show();
                      Level 7
                      dzedward,

> ok, i think we're getting somewhere, if i save the doc as MX 04,
                      > it works..

That means you'll lose all your Flash 8-specific features. Are you okay
                      with that?

David Stiller
                      Adobe Community Expert

• 8. Re: mc.show();
                        Damon Edwards Level 3
                        no way... thats why im wondering if there is something equivalent to what show() is doing... besides _visible, thats not working..
                        • 9. Re: mc.show();
                          Level 7
                          dzedward,

> no way... thats why im wondering if there is something equivalent
                          > to what show() is doing... besides _visible, thats not working..

That's just it, dzedward. ;) That's what I've been spelling out, here:
                          Someone wrote that component -- someone who presumably doesn't work for
                          Adobe and didn't work for Macromedia.

Someone wrote it to have a show() method, and for some reason, the
                          method isn't functioning in Flash 8. This is not an out-of-the box feature
                          of Flash. This isn't something that anyone on this forum is going to be
                          able to help you with, unless a) he or she happens to be familiar with that
                          particular 3rd party component or b) you start shedding some light on what
                          makes this component tick.

To do that, you may have to crack open the Debugger panel and start
                          poking around. See if any objects get thrown into the _global object (in
                          the Debugger) when this component appears on Stage. See if you can use
                          trace( ) to unveil properties this object may have.

Without more input, we're putting together a jigsaw puzzle in the dark.

David Stiller
                          Adobe Community Expert

• 10. mc.show();
                            Damon Edwards Level 3
                            here are all the variables from the glass movie clip

it seems the debugger is not installed here at work.. this is from 'debug', 'list all variables'... i dont know why they dont have the debugger installed.
                            • 11. Re: mc.show();
                              Peter Lorent Level 2
                              From the manual that comes with the component:

Create buttons to show / hide the magnifier glass
                              Create a Button symbol, which will make the magnifier glass visible and use the following code for
                              it:

on( press ) {
                              glass.show();
                              }

Create a Button symbol, which will make the magnifier glass invisible and use the following code
                              for it:

on( press ) {
                              glass.hide();
                              }

for support: support@page-flip.com
                              • 12. Re: mc.show();
                                Damon Edwards Level 3
                                i saw that, doesnt help.. i already emailed them on friday, and have yet to hear back
                                • 13. Re: mc.show();
                                  Level 7
                                  dzedward,

> i saw that, doesnt help.. i already emailed them on friday, and
                                  > have yet to hear back

Well, the weekend hardly counts. (You wouldn't want to answer business
                                  email over the weekend, would you?) A couple business days, then, isn't so
                                  bad. Here's hoping you hear back from them soon.

In the mean time, your variable dump is interesting (to me), but
                                  unfortunately doesn't show me anything especially useful. Not your fault at
                                  all, of course -- and it was certainly worth a shot. What it *does* show me
                                  is that your "glass" object does exist and that it appears to be in good
                                  working order, other than your issue (obviously). That's at least something
                                  ... just not something that sheds light on how to proceed.

It could *possibly* be that you're not correctly pathing to this object.
                                  From your button, what do you get when you do this?

on (release) {
                                  trace(glass);
                                  }

Do you get undefined? Does it show the glass object?

David Stiller
                                  Adobe Community Expert

• 14. Re: mc.show();
                                    Damon Edwards Level 3
                                    i'll let you know tomorrow morning, but im just about positive it will return _level0.. i set it up exactly like the demo. yea, i didnt expect to hear from them this quick, it's just that project needs to move on, and i thought maybe it was something simple like it usually is.
                                    • 15. Re: mc.show();
                                      Level 7
                                      dzedward,

> i'll let you know tomorrow morning, but im just about positive
                                      > it will return _level0.. i set it up exactly like the demo.

We'll see, then. :) I'll be here.

> yea, i didnt expect to hear from them this quick, it's just that
                                      > project needs to move on, and i thought maybe it was something
                                      > simple like it usually is.

Well, it may yet be. It's just that it's probably going to be simple
                                      (if it is) to someone who knows that product. ;) Chin up.

David Stiller
                                      Adobe Community Expert

• 16. Re: mc.show();
                                        Damon Edwards Level 3
                                        yea, it returns
                                        _level0.glass

so i'll report back when they respond to me, so if anyone else happens to need the answer, it'll be here..
                                        • 17. Re: mc.show();
                                          Peter Lorent Level 2
                                          Can you post the .fla somewhere?